User avatar
evnow
Moderator
Posts: 11438
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:41 am
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Leaf Worldwide Monthly Sales Figures : US Mar 268, Volt 608

Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:54 pm

SteveInSeattle wrote:If their are unsold Volts the only possible reason is that greedy dealers are asking too much.

That's what I'd have thought. But there are reports of volts at msrp not getting sold. Since you can order and get a Volt quite quickly, may be people prefer that to buying one that has the wrong color or options ...
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to ?

User avatar
hill
Gold Member
Posts: 1870
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:05 pm
Delivery Date: 27 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 0659
Location: Lake Forest, CA

Re: Leaf Worldwide Monthly Sales Figures

Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:56 pm

davewill wrote:This is all a bit silly, really. Both makers are selling every one they can produce . . . . . . . . snip

Link?

navidad
Posts: 57
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:04 am

Re: Leaf Worldwide Monthly Sales Figures : US Mar 298, Volt 608

Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:44 am

evnow wrote:Image


Update 3/? : Leaf for Feb in Japan is from JADA : http://www.jada.or.jp/contents/data/ranking/index.php

I disagree with your numbers.

On this web page http://www.jada.or.jp/contents/data/ranking/index.php, I can read 2593 Leaf for February.
Rank n°25.
In January, the rank n°25 concerns 1679 cars.... but for another car: Toyota Premacy.
I can't see Leaf in January, so I can guess it was under 1400 (which is the number for Toyota Vanguard= rank n°30).


Image
Mi ne sxatas la anglan lingvon.

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 13008
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Leaf Worldwide Monthly Sales Figures : US Mar 298, Volt 608

Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:30 am

is that all sales worldwide? that number would be close. this is US sales only which the Volt has the advantage since its world sales are "lacking?"
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 8743 miles, 485 GIDs, 37.6 kwh 111.39 Ahr , SOH 96.49, Hx 114.98
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
evnow
Moderator
Posts: 11438
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:41 am
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Leaf Worldwide Monthly Sales Figures : US Mar 298, Volt 608

Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:46 am

navidad wrote:I disagree with your numbers.

Right - Corrected that with the number I had last month.
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to ?


SanDust
Posts: 1363
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:54 am

Re: Leaf Worldwide Monthly Sales Figures : US Mar 298, Volt 608

Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:20 am

These numbers are interesting if you're waiting for a car or wondering if the CA rebates are going to hold out but they're not useful for much else. Bloggers writing that "Volt outsells Leaf" or posters here writing that "this proves the Volt will fail" need to put down their crack pipes.

Sales are low because production has been slow, and production has been slow because the many new components and features are forcing both companies to do extra QC in order to ensure there aren't any huge problems. Lots of buyers for the cars. Because the roll out has been through dealers, you can find a stray Volt now and again, maybe even at MSRP, and no doubt the same will happens as a few Leafs end up orphaned (if for no reason other than at this rate some people will die before their car shows up), but the entire run of both cars will end up sold. The only non-technical problem GM is having with the Volt. Nissan will have will only have similar non-technical issues, not issues with selling the limited number of cars it can produce.

If gas prices keep rising we may see even more of a supply crunch than we're seeing already.

Once production gets rolling in 2014 or so the Volt will outsell the Leaf because GM will be able to sell it more places. After this winter it's pretty clear that the real world EV range in winter for colder climates is about 1/2 what you'll get in places like SoCal during almost any season. The limited range means that at this point EVs are niche vehicles. That's not really a big deal since most truly new products are most successful when they start out will a niche and then move more into the mainstream.

AndyH
Posts: 6384
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:43 pm
Location: San Antonio

Re: Leaf Worldwide Monthly Sales Figures : US Mar 298, Volt 608

Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:41 am

The earlier report in this thread that about 1/4 of Volts are unsold, VS. the 2 or 3 Leaf orphans suggests a different sales picture.

As for the Leaf - yes winter reduces range. The Leaf's cold weather package will reduce the range loss significantly though. But even if it doesn't - the Leaf with a 50 mile range is still enough for ~90% of American drivers. That's a pretty big niche.

User avatar
evnow
Moderator
Posts: 11438
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:41 am
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Leaf Worldwide Monthly Sales Figures : US Mar 298, Volt 608

Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:50 am

SanDust wrote:After this winter it's pretty clear that the real world EV range in winter for colder climates is about 1/2 what you'll get in places like SoCal during almost any season.

That looks completely made up.
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to ?

User avatar
evnow
Moderator
Posts: 11438
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:41 am
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Leaf Worldwide Monthly Sales Figures : US Mar 298, Volt 608

Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:51 am

Back on topic - JADA figures for March doesn't show Leaf. So, Leaf sold less tahn 2,036 in March.

Does anyone know how to find the actual number sold ?
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to ?

Return to “News & Main LEAF Discussion”