middle charging indicator stay lit

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lettcco

I jut got my leaf back from the A/C software patch, it is now in my garage. But now I noticed that the middle (#2) charge indicator is on, and I haven't even plugged in the charger yet. I digged through the manual but did not find any references...did I miss something, or is it related to the new software patch?

I just got mine back from the software update today, too. I hadn't had any problems with the car, by the way.

I don't have the same middle charging light as you do, none of the three lights were lit when I checked.

I plugged in the charging connector to see what the lights would do. I expected to see the three lights "dance" like they do when you have the timer set and you plug in. Instead, the car started charging, so I realized that my charge timer was turned off. It was probably that the dealership hit the "timer off" button so they could charge the car up for me while they had it. Or maybe the software update turned off the timer.

No problem, I turned the timer back on and it still had my timing program in place.

So, I can't confirm your issue.

On page CH-25 of the manual, it says when the car is off and you press the immediate charge switch, the middle light should be on for 15 minutes. During those 15 minutes you can plug in and charge immediately.

After my software update on Monday (same AC problem reported elsewhere), my timers were all off as well - they stayed set, but they were turned off for some reason. I didn't notice until I had to charge her up last night. Odd that nothing else was turned off or changed, but no biggee.

intrepion said:
On page CH-25 of the manual, it says when the car is off and you press the immediate charge switch, the middle light should be on for 15 minutes. During those 15 minutes you can plug in and charge immediately.

So, this is the first time this happened to me. This is at South Coast Plaza, Chargepoint #5, in Orange County, Southern California. Other times I charge at this location, everything works fine, but I don't think I ever used #5 (as they expanded and added more stations at this location).

After pressing the "Immediate charge switch" (this is the switch you have to press IF you had the charge timer set, because the LEAF will follow the charge timer and will not charge, UNLESS you press this switch immediately - whatdoyouknow, makes sense), the middle charge LED goes on and stays constantly on. Then I enabled the Chargepoint charge with my card, and after the screen say "ready to charge", I plugged it into my LEAF. BUT, the LEAF did not charge and the middle LED stays lit. The Chargepoint station screen say "waiting to communicate with the car" (or something to that effect).

I did lots of different order, like plug in first, then press the "Immediate charge switch", or enabled with the card, then plugin, then press, or press, enabled the card, then plug in, turn-on/off the car (the card knows it is plugged in, from the dash indicator, etc) ... whatever... doesn't make any different. Just wont charge. My LEAF charger is fine, at least last night as I charged it.

The "Immediate charge switch" works, cuz as I press, the middle LED goes on (and stays on), and goes off when I press it again.

Didn't get a chance to try it on any of the other chargers at this location as it is very busy here (chargers are still free here).

I'm thinking something is wrong with the communication between the LEAF and this station? Other make/model cars seems to have no problem at this #5 stations, as the valet told me when I asked for help.

Any of you in SoCal ran into this problem here or elsewhere at a level 2 charger?

There was a recent thread where something similar happened with a Blink. The consensus was that the pilot wire of the EVSE had broken. If this is the case, no cars would be able to charge.

What brand EVSE do you use at home?

91040 said:
There was a recent thread where something similar happened with a Blink. The consensus was that the pilot wire of the EVSE had broken. If this is the case, no cars would be able to charge.

I'd wager that it's a problem with the Chargepoint EVSE failing to start charging. I've had multiple cases of one Chargepoint EVSE refusing to charge my car, and yet another one just across the parking will charge it just fine.

91040 said:

I have the original Nissan EVSE, acquired at the same time as my 2011 LEAF, from Nissan.

I'll see if I can try another charger at that location. Been to SouthCoast plaza and charged there often. THe last time was a couple of months ago, but I can't remember which station number. Perhaps #5 was not charging for anyone else. It's kinda rare, I guess, to see a free spot there during peak mall hrs.

Back