July Plugin Sales : Leaf 395, Volt 1849, PIP 688, FFE 38

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
kmp647 said:
Nissan has record March

records 298 Leaf deliveries in USA in March 2011
Given the horrors of March in Japan, I wonder what would have happenned to Japan sales in March.

http://www.smartplanet.com/business/blog/smart-takes/chevy-volt-sales-pick-up-in-march-more-sold-than-january-february-combined/15262/

General Motors sold 608 Volts in March, a small amount relative to larger brands, but more than double February’s tally. GM sold more Volts in March than it did in January and February combined.

For 2011, GM has sold 1,210 Volts.

This is all a bit silly, really. Both makers are selling every one they can produce this year, anyway. It would only be news if cars were beginning to sit at the dealers.

davewill said:
This is all a bit silly, really. Both makers are selling every one they can produce this year, anyway. It would only be news if cars were beginning to sit at the dealers.
We are not that sure GM is selling all the Volts. There are definitely Volts at some dealers people can just walk in and buy.

davewill said:

evnow said:
davewill said:
We are not that sure GM is selling all the Volts. There are definitely Volts at some dealers people can just walk in and buy.

Random FYI to this topic: GM has just slightly over 400 Volts in inventory atm that are unsold.

StatiK, It is good to hear from you . I have been missing your insight

Stan

Statik said:
Random FYI to this topic: GM has just slightly over 400 Volts in inventory atm that are unsold.
So, about 25% of the reported sales.

Anyway, I think the sales of both Leaf & Volt will follow a hockey stick pattern. Once initial demand is met, the sales will drop a bit before (hopefully) taking off.

If their are unsold Volts the only possible reason is that greedy dealers are asking too much. The Volt, like the Leaf, has an enthusiastic early adopter customer base. If GM was able to produce more than the demand they would have been expanding the sales territory.

SteveInSeattle said:
If their are unsold Volts the only possible reason is that greedy dealers are asking too much.
That's what I'd have thought. But there are reports of volts at msrp not getting sold. Since you can order and get a Volt quite quickly, may be people prefer that to buying one that has the wrong color or options ...

evnow said:

Update 3/? : Leaf for Feb in Japan is from JADA : http://www.jada.or.jp/contents/data/ranking/index.php
I disagree with your numbers.

On this web page http://www.jada.or.jp/contents/data/ranking/index.php, I can read 2593 Leaf for February.
Rank n°25.
In January, the rank n°25 concerns 1679 cars.... but for another car: Toyota Premacy.
I can't see Leaf in January, so I can guess it was under 1400 (which is the number for Toyota Vanguard= rank n°30).

nissan.jpg

is that all sales worldwide? that number would be close. this is US sales only which the Volt has the advantage since its world sales are "lacking?"

These numbers are interesting if you're waiting for a car or wondering if the CA rebates are going to hold out but they're not useful for much else. Bloggers writing that "Volt outsells Leaf" or posters here writing that "this proves the Volt will fail" need to put down their crack pipes.

Sales are low because production has been slow, and production has been slow because the many new components and features are forcing both companies to do extra QC in order to ensure there aren't any huge problems. Lots of buyers for the cars. Because the roll out has been through dealers, you can find a stray Volt now and again, maybe even at MSRP, and no doubt the same will happens as a few Leafs end up orphaned (if for no reason other than at this rate some people will die before their car shows up), but the entire run of both cars will end up sold. The only non-technical problem GM is having with the Volt. Nissan will have will only have similar non-technical issues, not issues with selling the limited number of cars it can produce.

If gas prices keep rising we may see even more of a supply crunch than we're seeing already.

Once production gets rolling in 2014 or so the Volt will outsell the Leaf because GM will be able to sell it more places. After this winter it's pretty clear that the real world EV range in winter for colder climates is about 1/2 what you'll get in places like SoCal during almost any season. The limited range means that at this point EVs are niche vehicles. That's not really a big deal since most truly new products are most successful when they start out will a niche and then move more into the mainstream.

The earlier report in this thread that about 1/4 of Volts are unsold, VS. the 2 or 3 Leaf orphans suggests a different sales picture.

As for the Leaf - yes winter reduces range. The Leaf's cold weather package will reduce the range loss significantly though. But even if it doesn't - the Leaf with a 50 mile range is still enough for ~90% of American drivers. That's a pretty big niche.

SanDust said:
After this winter it's pretty clear that the real world EV range in winter for colder climates is about 1/2 what you'll get in places like SoCal during almost any season.
That looks completely made up.

Back on topic - JADA figures for March doesn't show Leaf. So, Leaf sold less tahn 2,036 in March.

Does anyone know how to find the actual number sold ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back