Unable to Restart after using AC (was AC causes failure)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cyellen said:
I can't really complain, but I would have thought a problem as simple as this would have been uncovered in early testing.
Thats why we are speculating that it must be because of some recent change ...

LindaK said:
Hi all, I'll make this brief as I am typing from my phone....my car is fixed with software upgrade. Dealership told me 200 cars were affected, but I don't know that the total is US or worldwide. Seems like they've gotten a handle on this issue....at least I hope so. I can't pick up ly car til tomorrow at this point, so will wait till then to verify all is well.
Great news. Software fixes should be easy. Glad it wasn't mechanical. Sorry so many had to go through this but you may have saved a lot of people from being stranded.

I have to wonder what software upgrade would affect only 200 cars and how they plan to fix the others out there that may have not yet failed but are afflicted with the problem...

LindaK said:
Hi all, I'll make this brief as I am typing from my phone....my car is fixed with software upgrade. Dealership told me 200 cars were affected, but I don't know that the total is US or worldwide. Seems like they've gotten a handle on this issue....at least I hope so. I can't pick up ly car til tomorrow at this point, so will wait till then to verify all is well.

azdre said:
So, Nissan failed to give my dealer the whole story the first 2 times it was in. The refrigerant level change was a stop-gap to try to pull the draw down until they could figure out what settings to change in the software. There are two distinct draw issues, one during pre-cool and another during driving that both required distinct settings changes. I'll pick up my car again tomorrow and hope for the best. I don't need a 34,000 paperweight. This will make 5 days in a row pulling into the Service Drive at the dealer. Please let it be the last! I am probably not using the right terminology here, so please don't flame me. I've had a really, really bad day and didn't totally hear everything the service advisor told me.

This last time the car threw the error while I was driving my cat to an emergency vet appointment, I left the car on in the parking lot while in the vet, drove my cat home, left it on as I got him settled back in, and then successfully drove myself to the dealer.

So, as others have stated, if your car throws the exclamation point car error with the yellow triangle, don't turn it off, drive to your nearest dealer or risk requiring a tow.

Some of the best info so far. Thanks, azdre. Here's hoping to good days from here on out (and I hope your cat's ok). In the meantime, my climate control remains off...I can't afford the dealer trips nor the power draw given only partial L1 charges at night anyways.

Add another one to the list, just picked up my vehicle two weeks ago, everything was fine until today. I set the climate controls to cool the car before I got in, and now its broke. Got towed to the dealer today. :(
1.jpg
2.jpg

Sigh... I'll bet the Volt folks are loving this!

leafster said:
Add another one to the list, just picked up my vehicle two weeks ago, everything was fine until today. I set the climate controls to cool the car before I got in, and now its broke. Got towed to the dealer today.

evnow said:
LindaK said:
What we need really is a message from Nissan that tells which cars are affected. My guess is cars manufactured between particular dates - or they could probably convey this by vin number range.

We have probably 4 months to go before we need to use AC here in the NW - but I'd like to know whether I should get that firmware upgrade. But people of the south need this info ...

evnow: You've hit the nail right on the head! A short, precise notification from NISSAN would allay our apprehensions, and squelch all these speculations. I think we'll all be surprised/pleased that the problem is a simple/stupid software glitch. But, I certainly feel for all those folks who've been left stranded. Today the temp here in the San Diego area was 90 degrees. Hello Nissan---testing 1,2,3; are you there? :?

I think we all should call to get some to answers to this issue.
For me, I'm not sure whether the technician reset my car (reprogrammed it as he said) or updated the software to address this issue?
Confusion that has little to do with wine.

leafster said:
Add another one to the list, just picked up my vehicle two weeks ago, everything was fine until today. I set the climate controls to cool the car before I got in, and now its broke. Got towed to the dealer today. :(

For those of us lurking in the background, but closely following this thread, could I suggest that anybody who is reporting this problem include their VIN?

That would help us with similar VINs know look out for this.

Thanks!

PS: I am now carrying a toolkit so I can try the 12v disconnect if necessary....

I got my LEAF back this afternoon. Per the service advisor and invoice, Nissan sent out an engineer who determined that the car had a "high voltage leak"; something a few others have reported here. This caused the EV emergency shutoff to engage. A software system update was performed and voltage parameters reset. It's unfortunate that the "software update" wasn't available on Tuesday when my car was delivered to the dealership. I guess that this is what paying beta testers should anticipate. :lol:

C'est la vie. I'm just happy to have Galileo home in the stable.

High voltage leak and software solution? Seems like a high voltage leak would be a hardware problem unless it was that the sensor for the leak was mis-calibrated.

palmermd said:
High voltage leak and software solution? Seems like a high voltage leak would be a hardware problem unless it was that the sensor for the leak was mis-calibrated.

The dealer's service advisor did not have much information other than that his guys could not correct the problem so Nissan dispatched the engineer. He told me that it was a software issue and that the Nissan engineer performed an update. I'm not an engineer so I'll have to take their word for it. I drove about 25 miles after picking it up with three stops and it seemed to be running just fine.

PS: I should note that I did not take the car to my PD due to a $100 limit to the towing credit for roadside assistance. My PD (Connell) has a Nissan engineer assigned to their dealership and seem much more in tune with the car and its issues than the folks up here. If I experience this again, I'm going to go there - limit or no. Just an FYI for those in the South Bay/OC area.

AmarilloLeaf said:
leafster said:
PS: I am now carrying a toolkit so I can try the 12v disconnect if necessary....
Same here - a single glove and a 10mm open ended wrench... but only if I'm desperate and can't afford the hit to my time for a tow.

Even then, I suspect I'll just be keeping the car going and not shutting it off. In the meantime, I'm not using the A/C anytime I really need the car until the dust settles and Nissan provides a bit of info.

Is there any way for us to see the software versions in our car.

For LEAF towing, the $100 limit was not supposed to apply, I thought.

Maybe a "HV Leak" means that the sum of the current sensors
does not match the value from the main battery current sensor?

How much refrigerant does the Service Manual say the A/C system should have?

Is there a set of screen/button presses to get to the LEAF's Service Screens?
(I thought I read somewhere long ago that there was.)

What is the number of the service code being generated?

I got an email this evening from my dealer service dept:

"An issue has arisen with the LEAF where the a/c system may not shut off and cause the car to go into failsafe mode and be inoperable. There is updated software to correct this issue, so we need you to bring in your vehicle for this. To prevent this from possibly happening please do not turn on the a/c or defrost system until the reprogramming is done."

They will have Nissan engineers in the dealership next week. I'll make an appointment.

By the way, I drove the car 40 miles the day after I brought it home. It was a hot day and I had the AC one a good part of the time. No problems.

My VIN is 889

Back