Unable to Restart after using AC (was AC causes failure)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mogur said:
Nope, no quick disconnects, just standard battery clamps.

LakeLeaf said:
Mogar - did you have to use a wrench, or does the LEAF have quick releases on the aux battery? I have the quick releases on one of my hybrids and they sure are nice.

Maybe someone should design a large "Press and Hold to Reset" button under the hood!!!

Telephone update from the dealership. They are still working on the car. They have been at it since 7am on the phone and on the computer with engineers. Nothing to report yet, but they will call me back when they know something.

Apparently unplugging the battery is not the final soution. Haha. Let's hope they figure this out so we can all breath easy this summer. In the mean time, enjoy the extra range in an EV without A/C. Haha.

mwalsh said:
So I think the interim answer is to resist the temptation to run the A/C either remotely to pre-condition or even in the car while it's just sitting there and off. At least enough vehicles have now exhibited the problem that we can reasonably expect that a tech can recreate it.

Perhaps a thread title change is warranted? "A/C pre-cool vehicle start failure issue", maybe?
I missed this. So, that was the root cause of this issue ?

Does this happen on both heat & AC (cool) ? Does this happen when connected to the grid ?

evnow said:
I missed this. So, that was the root cause of this issue ?

Does this happen on both heat & AC (cool) ? Does this happen when connected to the grid ?

My car died just sitting in the dealership owner transfer garage. No precooling was done, in fact Carwings was just enabled as I just sat in the car and typed in the pin and password, got out of the car and it then never re-engaged. The a/c was running while we sat in the car with it on and ready, but in park. (more details in my earlier post). Anyhow, I don't think it has to do with precooing the car, but i'm inclined to believe it has to do with running the A/C when there is not any flow across the condenser. We'll know more when they figure out what is wrong with my car.

palmermd said:
Anyhow, I don't think it has to do with precooing the car, but i'm inclined to believe it has to do with running the A/C when there is not any flow across the condenser. We'll know more when they figure out what is wrong with my car.
I'll change the subject in that case ... I guess it is only for cooling & not heating ? I've sat in the car heating it while I did some car related experiments .... with no problems.

evnow said:
I'll change the subject in that case ... I guess it is only for cooling & not heating ? I've sat in the car heating it while I did some car related experiments .... with no problems.
I too have pre-heated without issue. I'm willing to test (since a 12v disconnect seems to fix it), but that might also fix my iPod issue that Nissan engineers are coming to look at on Monday. I want it to still be broken then so they can find the problem. But I'm willing to test it after that. Or maybe even there while the engineers are there! :)

evnow said:
palmermd said:
Anyhow, I don't think it has to do with precooing the car, but i'm inclined to believe it has to do with running the A/C when there is not any flow across the condenser. We'll know more when they figure out what is wrong with my car.

I've preheat pretty often over the last almost 3 months without any problems (both on and off grid). It's finally warm here so I'll hold off precooling until Nissan comes out with a fix.

Saw this happen first hand yesterday, and I got to push a LEAF out of the street as a result. :lol: Hopefully there isn't a picture of me pushing it on Jalopnik right now.

Nissan is aware, and from what I hear, the inbound cars will start to get checked for this.

BrendanDolan said:
Saw this happen first hand yesterday, and I got to push a LEAF out of the street as a result. :lol: Hopefully there isn't a picture of me pushing it on Jalopnik right now.

Nissan is aware, and from what I hear, the inbound cars will start to get checked for this.

Brendan,
Do they have a fix? Thanks!

BrendanDolan said:
Don't see that on Jalopnik - I'm sure the whole anti-EV community is sad they missed it ;)

Again, cooling & not heating, I guess ?

Instead of avoiding it, I intend to do exactly this at the dealership after I take delivery.
If it has this problem, I'd rather they work it out while I have a ride home right there.

I intend to pre-cool after work every day anyway, so better to get it tested near the service bay, right?

mogur said:
... On a whim, I disconnected the 12 volt battery and let it sit for about 10 minutes. I then reconnected the battery and tried it again. Success! It once again operated completely normally.
Hmm, Ctrl-Alt-Delete for a Leaf. Maybe one of these...
wCW0p8W7yPLbeS9Tg_6LA5u0kCrxE_GUdDMQHOBqkZTW4HbHkc5VNoM9Q5QPPI7x3mpMrhqgIYZNlisCPMzul0NlZTmyuYoapqdeCuk8yfEZVINYZqRZlrLp79uFr_1K8wbiFYC1Fef-77c24aEjGcbTnMClyXtuyPQ_YIs

Battery Disconnect

I have not pre cooled the car unplugged but I have tested the AC a few days after getting my car using the web site to start my AC when it was being charged. I had no problems. Maybe I should test it by turning on the AC unplugged.

Well I am at work now so maybe not a good idea, I still have a 38 mile drive home.

Should we call to see if we need to do a manual recall and bring the cars in one at a time?

Oh off topic yesterday I had my new blink give me an error. I did not write the error but said something like charge failed to touch the screen to clear.

I did not think anything it started to charge and in the morning the charge was completed 100%. I started the car and notice a yellow car warning light with a ! on top of the car. It said to take the car to Nissan dealer in the manual. I then drove it to work and on my way home I noticed the warning lights where gone. Hmm

My LEAF would not start today and I was stuck, lucky for me I just happened to be pulled into a charge slot at the dealer, they reset the fault codes on the car and it started, was an issue with HV bleeding according to the codes. Nothing like breaking down at the dealer for convenience.

Ready2plugin said:
BrendanDolan said:

Brendan,
Do they have a fix? Thanks!

Supposedly the AC system is overcharged, so I guess evac'ing some of the refrigerant would fix it. I don't know if that's the official.

Also, it's not just when the car is pre cooling. This one happened while it was in motion (well, stopped at a stoplight).

Back