Nissan L1 EVSE third-party upgrade to both 120V and 240V

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ingineer said:
Someone also asked where to get a NEMA 14-50 adapter, and there are several places online, such as this one. Note that you can saw the bottom pin off this with a hacksaw, and it will then fit 2 additional outlet types. (14-30 and 14-60)
Here's the NEMA 14-50 (50 amp) plug I've used in the past: http://amzn.com/B000PGVZ30

It works extremely well and the neutral pin will just slide out if you aren't using it.

I'm thinking of foregoing the Nissan/AV EVSE altogether and simply having an electrician install a 240V receptacle. In case I ever decide to get the EVSE cash&carry option and wire an L6-30 to it, would this receptacle be ok? (for Phil's mod)

http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-2620-Receptacle-Industrial-Grounding/dp/B00002NAT9/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300747576&sr=8-1

z0ner said:
I'm thinking of foregoing the Nissan/AV EVSE altogether and simply having an electrician install a 240V receptacle. In case I ever decide to get the EVSE cash&carry option and wire an L6-30 to it, would this receptacle be ok? (for Phil's mod)

http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-2620-Receptacle-Industrial-Grounding/dp/B00002NAT9/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300747576&sr=8-1

I'd recommend you install this one instead, as the EVSE will not connect to the one you show, but be sure to have the wiring and the breaker installed for 30A:
http://www.amazon.com/Bryant-70620FR-Locking-Receptacle-L6-20R/dp/B003A4B4H6
(be warned that the picture for this is showing thew wrong one)

If you ever upgrade to another type of EVSE later, you can simply shut the breaker off and change the outlet to whatever type the new EVSE demands. (or it might be hardwired) This would take 5 minutes with a screwdriver and is very easy.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
I'd recommend you install this one instead, as the EVSE will not connect to the one you show, but be sure to have the wiring and the breaker installed for 30A:

Thanks Phil. Do you have any of these modded L1 EVSE's in the pipeline? As soon as my "week of" becomes a specific day, I'd like to order the advanced replacement option so I have one ready to go when I pickup the blue bastard.

z0ner said:
Ingineer said:

Thanks Phil. Do you have any of these modded L1 EVSE's in the pipeline? As soon as my "week of" becomes a specific day, I'd like to order the advanced replacement option so I have one ready to go when I pickup the blue bastard.

We usually do, they go and come, so you'll have to ask when you are ready. If you are in CA, we can have you one within a day usually.

-Phil

Here's the latest mod I've implemented:

pic

pic

It adds a bright white LED to the end of the EVSE that illuminates when the handle release button is pressed. This way you can easily see the charge port when inserting the J1772 plug at night or in a dimly lit garage (as is often the case).

Note that I have no intention of offering this mod for sale, but I think all EVSE manufacturers should add it as a standard feature, as it wouldn't add much to the cost if done during manufacture.

Please don't bother PM'ing me about this, as I'm not interested in answering questions about it and will ignore them. Rather, I prefer all (intelligent) questions be answered in the forum so that everyone can benefit.

-Phil

Nice ! :shock:

May I suggest you start a new thread ... move above post there ... and we can start the "inquisition" :lol:

Got my EVSE back from Ingineer. Sent it out UPS last Tuesday, got it back today (Tuesday). Virtually all of that was UPS time; Ingineer sent the modified unit back the very same day he got it. No need for pictures; it looks exactly like the picture on his web page. The adapter cord to get back to 120V, which costs a little extra, is excellent quality. The L6-20 end is molded on the cord; the 120V end is an assembled plug made by Leviton. No wire size on the short yellow cable, but I'd guess #12, just by the overall size. The six plastic plugs that hid the Torx fasteners that hold the EVSE together were already removed when I sent Ingineer the EVSE. He or his helper squirted hot melt glue in the screw holes after the modifications were done, so I probably won't peek inside the box.

I received the same EVSE I sent in, although Ingineer has stated that folks shouldn't count on that.

I ordered the same day Ingineer announced that he was ready to do business. The ordering process went smoothly. The link at http://www.evseupgrade.com page took me to Paypal, and all I had to do was log on and agree to pay. Paypal directs you back to the original web page, and brings up shipping instructions. I had a small problem there. I wanted to download the EVSE liability release that Ingineer requires you to print out and sign and send with your EVSE. After I did that, I couldn't find the shipping address I had just seen; that page had closed. I didn't want to order a second upgrade through Paypal, just to discover the shipping address. An email to the support address on the web page got me an almost instant response.

Took me a few days to find a box, get my EVSE packed and get it sent off. The service at the other end was much quicker!

I made up an adapter over the weekend to fit the 240V receptacles I commonly use. I stole Monika's parking spot tonight and plugged in the modified EVSE. The car seemed happy. I'll know more in the morning, after the charging (and heating) cycles conclude. My normal charge time is three hours; I'd expect four at the lower (12A vs normal 15A) current setting.

Almost plugged into the 240V circuit right under the carport where I parked tonight, but I remembered that it is powering a 2 HP water pump that will be cycling all night as it irrigates my trees. The breaker would probably handle both the LEAF and the pump, but why chance it? If the breaker popped, I'd not only have no water in the morning, but no LEAF to drive to work.

Anyway, we'll see how things go. Based on Ingineer's posts in this forum, and my satisfaction with the transaction, I expect the EVSE to perform flawlessly. I'll let you know...

Karl

Thanks for the great review, Karl. I can't wait to get the mod and I'll probably use an advance replacement option so I can hit the ground running from the day I take delivery. From what I can tell, I can't go through the ordering process online to do that option as it involves sending another $600 on top of the $200 as a security deposit.

If there was only a way to get that killer LED mod though :p

garygid said:
Z,
What option requires sending $600 security ... ?
From the website: "Please inquire about an advanced replacement option for an additional $50 fee plus a refundable core deposit of $600."

garygid said:
Z,

The advance replacement option. If you can part with $800 temporarily, you can buy the modded EVSE from Phil right away, and then once you get your Nissan "vanilla" EVSE you ship it back and get your $600 refunded.

"Please inquire about an advanced replacement option for an additional $50 fee plus a refundable core deposit of $600."

I think it's a great option and I'll be utilizing it once my date gets a little closer.

garygid said:
Z,

Gary, you can go there and get all the details to all these questions. It's a click away.

We insure the shipment for $600 when we ship out all EVSE's, as that is the replacement cost from Nissan. We charge a deposit on the advance replacement so that if we don't receive the old EVSE back, we can get a replacement. The Deposit is done through Paypal which does a 100% refund of the charge and any fees, so you get it all back when we get the EVSE back.

We offer the advance replacement for those that are using their L1 EVSE as their only charge solution, and don't want to be without a way to charge. The other option, if you can't spare the $600, would be to ship us the EVSE expedited, and then pay for expedited return. We have shipped all but 1 job out same-day so far! If you are in California, standard UPS ground seems to make most locations in one or 2 days in any event.

You could also just buy a new EVSE already modified from us, and then sell your other one if you don't want 2.

-Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back