Nissan LEAF Light Bulb Mods: LEDs Anyone?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
patrick0101 said:
DarkStar said:
section S5.5.10 of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 108. ("All stoplamps must be steady burning when in use...
The scrolling license plate frame would be out too... :(
I understand that brake lights could not vary, but why does that have anything to do with the scrolling licence plate? It is not a brake light and would not be covered under this law. Did you see something that more specifically applied to the LED plate?
Every light on the exterior of the vehicle has to be accounted for per the law and there are no exceptions for any blinking or flashing lights, even if you classified it as something other than a brake light.

The sequence of the LEDs flashing doesn't change that each LED is blinking/flashing, thus is technically illegal. You can have one or two yellow flashing lights on the top of a vehicle though to be used as caution lights.

Skywagon said:
I have already changed all of the incandescents in my LEAF to LED. I purchased (or had them previously) from V-LEDs and I am happy with the quality.

Skywagon, can you post pics of all the leds replaced? I want to see how they look from v-leds, color and brightness. Thanks!

How about a LED "scroll" (or stationary), computer-controlled, display bar INSIDE the car ... that could be seen by any following vehicles?

It might show a variety of messages.

It might use red or multi-colored LEDs.
It might be constantly on, but probably manually activated.

Skywagon said:
I have already changed all of the incandescents in my LEAF to LED. I purchased (or had them previously) from V-LEDs and I am happy with the quality. The only ones I would recommend skipping are the turn signal bulbs. I would go with a silver coated bulb if you are wanting to remove the orange bulb from the clear housings. Even though the flasher is electronic (controlled by the BCM) it senses the load resistance and will double the flasher rate if it drops below a certain threshold. I have found no way to bypass that besides adding a load resistor (such a waste) to put the system load back to normal with incandescent bulbs (I have not done that yet). The 4-way flashers do not rely/vary on that current load test so they flash at the normal rate no matter what.

To add to the OP's comment if you choose wisely you will actually end up with a brighter and even distribution to the stock light output bulb.

One word of caution, the rear taillights are a pain to remove to change the bulbs. If you pull on them incorrectly I could see where you could scratch/remove paint at the top side and/or damage the light housing. The 3 bolts are removed and you have to pull the housings to get the pins on the back side out of their rubber retainers.

Skywagon, could you write this up as a DIY with a list of qty and type of bulb to buy? Does the vendor have a list so I can order a set?

HarryHouck said:
Skywagon said:
I have already changed all of the incandescents in my LEAF to LED. I purchased (or had them previously) from V-LEDs and I am happy with the quality. The only ones I would recommend skipping are the turn signal bulbs. I would go with a silver coated bulb if you are wanting to remove the orange bulb from the clear housings. Even though the flasher is electronic (controlled by the BCM) it senses the load resistance and will double the flasher rate if it drops below a certain threshold. I have found no way to bypass that besides adding a load resistor (such a waste) to put the system load back to normal with incandescent bulbs (I have not done that yet). The 4-way flashers do not rely/vary on that current load test so they flash at the normal rate no matter what.

To add to the OP's comment if you choose wisely you will actually end up with a brighter and even distribution to the stock light output bulb.

One word of caution, the rear taillights are a pain to remove to change the bulbs. If you pull on them incorrectly I could see where you could scratch/remove paint at the top side and/or damage the light housing. The 3 bolts are removed and you have to pull the housings to get the pins on the back side out of their rubber retainers.

Skywagon, could you write this up as a DIY with a list of qty and type of bulb to buy? Does the vendor have a list so I can order a set?

The bulbs are listed in the owners manual along how to change them. Be careful removing the taillights as I mentioned before as you could damage the paint, especially at the top.

I used these for all my W5W lamps (license plate, front white parking, etc.) and they have worked out well:

http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/CornerSide-Marker-LED/White-LED/2-WHITE-5K-SMT-HIGH-POWER-p6985865.html#ReviewsTabAnchor

just changed out the parking lights
below is the information
I had to try a couple times and turn the bulb around to get one side to light
so the may only go in one way
I am still waiting on the driving light bulbs from E-Bay

superbrightleds.com

============================================================
2 | WLED-xHP9-T: LED T10 Wedge Base Bulb | $ 12.95 |
WLED-WHP9-T: Cool White
------------------------------------------------------------

I am having trouble with the H11 bulbs for the driving lights
they won't light after plugging them in :x
they work when connected to a 12V battery
any ideas?

the bulbs are
WHITE H11 18 SMD LED

The polarity is backwards?

Mx5racer said:
I am having trouble with the H11 bulbs for the driving lights
they won't light after plugging them in :x
they work when connected to a 12V battery
any ideas?

the bulbs are
WHITE H11 18 SMD LED

Since the stock incandescent bulbs are not polarity sensitive, it may very well be that they paid no attention to it in the design or production of the car. I'll bet you are going to have to swap the wires... You can take a voltmeter and measure the polarity to confirm this.

Mx5racer said:
They only go in one way
Unless they are assembled backwards of the stock bulbs

Skywagon said:
I have already changed all of the incandescents in my LEAF to LED. I purchased (or had them previously) from V-LEDs and I am happy with the quality.
I drove for the first time after dark in the Leaf yesterday and the low beam LEDs are great. But in contrast to them, the H9 high beams are dreadfull. Near yellow compared to the ultra white 5500K of the low beam LEDs.
Which LEDs, manufacturer / model, did you use for the H9 high beams? I looked at the V-LEDs web site listed later in the topic and it didn't list a H9 LED replacement?

TimLee said:
Skywagon said:
I drove for the first time after dark in the Leaf yesterday and the low beam LEDs are great. But in contrast to them, the H9 high beams are dreadfull. Near yellow compared to the ultra white 5500K of the low beam LEDs.
Which LEDs, manufacturer / model, did you use for the H9 high beams? I looked at the V-LEDs web site listed later in the topic and it didn't list a H9 LED replacement?

I guess I should have stated all incandescents instead of the high beams... no LED will replace the light output of those lights, especially ones that will fit in an H9 location.

Much worse than the color temperature is that they put out little light. For 55 watt halogens, they are unbelievably dim. I think it is due simply to poor reflector design and construction.

TimLee said:
Skywagon said:
But in contrast to them, the H9 high beams are dreadfull. Near yellow compared to the ultra white 5500K of the low beam LEDs.

Has anyone taken out the H9 high beam bulbs to see what brand they are?
As yellow as they appear they must be a base standard H9 and around 3000K color temperature.
Seems like replacing them with Sylvania Silverstar Ultra 4100K color temperature should help some, right?

Back