So, owners what range are you getting ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cthe problem here is inconsistencies in the reports. I would appear that carwingss does not account for accessories usage in its MPK calculations.

But having compared numbers several times I ha e not seen an exact determination or reflection in values including distance travelled.
with that make your own conclusions.

Hello,
Yes, inconsistencies, I am trying to get used to what the gauges & dials & stuff tell me and correlate that to my actual experience so I can get used to predicting how far, how fast, how warm I can go/be. 38* again today affecting my range. It's hard to make sense of all the estimates and the reports in carwings because their time cutoffs are not the same as the car's. On one page it says my average is 5.0 m/kWh, in the next it says 4.3m/kWh for supposedly the same time period. :shock:

bowthom said:
EVNOW,
I saw your efficiency ranking today, 7.8 miles/kWh. Yowsers, how do you get your eff up so high? I'm lucky to hit 5 miles/kWh..... IF the weather is warm enough and IF there aren't any hills on my route and IF my speed is 25~28 mph and IF I hit all the signals lucky. :roll:

Some Japanese driver hit over 10 miles/kWh today.

Yes, I frequently get very good efficiency on the way to work, since I'm going downhill. I've got more than 7 mpkwh on several days on the Leaf eff. meter. Carwings ofcource shows even more. Since Carwings uploads data when I start the car, in the evenings usually it just shows my commue to work numbers, which will be high. I've been in top ten efficiency on some days because of this.

But what goes down, must come back up. So, on the way back, I get much less. The round trip usually gets me an avg of 3.9 m/kwh. This is what it Leaf shows for the full day (carwings actually shows about 4.6).

My daily commute is all urban with roads being 35 & 40 mph limits. This includes an elevation change of some 900 ft. I get between 82 and 110 miles per charge (using the 3.4 to 4.6 miles/kwh efficiency figures shown by Leaf) depending on things like use of pre-heat, use of climate control, temperature and how I drive.

evnow said:
But what goes down, must come back up. So, on the way back, I get much less. The round trip usually gets me an avg of 3.9 m/kwh. This is what it Leaf shows for the full day (carwings actually shows about 4.6).

3.9 MPK is excellent for this time of year at highway speeds, that is still 81.9 miles per tank assuming 21 kwh to burn. my SO is only doing 3.2 -3.4 but she is "climate-challenged" and usually running late. the 70 mph speed limit does not help either

DaveinOlyWA said:
3.9 MPK is excellent for this time of year at highway speeds, that is still 81.9 miles per tank assuming 21 kwh to burn.
But this is at 40 mph.

With 3.9 m/kwh we are looking at a range of :

Till Battery Low (20 kwh) : 78 Miles

Nominal Range (24 kwh) : 93 Miles

evnow said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
3.9 MPK is excellent for this time of year at highway speeds, that is still 81.9 miles per tank assuming 21 kwh to burn.
But this is at 40 mph.

With 3.9 m/kwh we are looking at a range of :

Till Battery Low (20 kwh) : 78 Miles

Nominal Range (24 kwh) : 93 Miles

OIC, i thought that was highway. hate to say it, but that hill is a killer. now this 3.9 that is from the efficiency screen?

still good. climate control is a big hit on performance.

Starting SOC : 100% in ECO mode 100%

Range (till battery low) : 78 miles till warning

Range (till turtle) : Didn't test that far but had 12 miles left so total would have been about 90 miles till empty

Driving : describe hwy/city/mixed/speeds here

78 miles round trip - 8 miles of county roads starting at 600 feet elevation with some stops at 25-45mph then 30 miles of freeway with 6 moderate hills at 53-60 mph average about 56 with light rain. Tried very hard to get the best case range from Sonoma County to San Francisco but turned around at Sausalito as it felt like time to return. Probably could get 100 if the freeways were flat not hilly.

Climate : Temperatures, use of climate control

For test only used windshield wipers only, no climate control

The sum of my trip meter + remaining estimate was dithering in the low 90's. Since I have a 600 foot climb at the end to my house, it ended at 90 miles but that's out of charge.

As a practical matter, 70-75 miles is about the maximum for my drive should something happen to lose range like traffic.

Carwings is basically next to useless in my opinion. It still claims that my usage is something like 6miles/KwH when in reality it is more like 4.

bowthom said:
Hello,
Yes, inconsistencies, I am trying to get used to what the gauges & dials & stuff tell me and correlate that to my actual experience so I can get used to predicting how far, how fast, how warm I can go/be. 38* again today affecting my range. It's hard to make sense of all the estimates and the reports in carwings because their time cutoffs are not the same as the car's. On one page it says my average is 5.0 m/kWh, in the next it says 4.3m/kWh for supposedly the same time period. :shock:

Today got my personal best efficiency of 5.0 on Leaf.

Starting SOC : 80%
Range (till battery low) : 100 Miles (est @ 20kwh)
Range (till turtle) : 110 Miles (est @ 22kwh)
Driving : Mixed with 10 miles freeway, 15 miles suburban (my home is about 6 miles the freeway).
Climate : Sunny & Warm @ 50. No climate control.

Yesterday was a different story : 4.3.

Starting SOC : 100%
Range (till battery low) : 86 Miles (est @ 20kwh)
Range (till turtle) : 94 Miles (est @ 22kwh)
Driving : Mixed with 10 miles freeway, 15 miles suburban (my home is about 6 miles the freeway).
Climate : climate control for 5 miles.

Charging to 100% reduces efficiency since I can't regen much when going downhill on my way out.

Evnow,
Do you check the "per trip" efficiencies in the carwings electrical simulation page? I find it very enlightening.

This last week I've been commuting without having the heat on (temps in the high 40's ~ low 50's). What a difference in my efficiency rating and range. STD commute is up to 6.5 m/kWh ;)

I just happened to visit kolmstead's blog page where he had posted pictures of the underbody of the Leaf, and was surprised to see that instead of a completely smooth and aerodynamic belly, only the front of the Leaf has cladding.

Anyone have any ideas what the impact of that uncladded area would have on range?

Might covering that area be something worth considering that would provide a real-world, noticeable increase in range?

BnBinSD said:
Might covering that area be something worth considering that would provide a real-world, noticeable increase in range?
You have to balance aero with weight ... so it may or may not.

bowthom said:
Evnow,
Do you check the "per trip" efficiencies in the carwings electrical simulation page? I find it very enlightening.
Cool - I'd never checked this - what a bad place to put the per trip stats.

Once they get this all corrected and present real numbers, it would be a really good resource.

Here is my best :lol: :lol: :lol:

Code:
Net consumption   0.2kWh 
Consumption       0.9kWh 
Regeneration      0.7kWh 
Miles             5.4miles 
Energy Economy   22.3miles/kWh

evnow said:
Cool - I'd never checked this - what a bad place to put the per trip stats.
Once they get this all corrected and present real numbers, it would be a really good resource.

Here is my best :lol: :lol: :lol:
Code:
Net consumption   0.2kWh 
Consumption       0.9kWh 
Regeneration      0.7kWh 
Miles             5.4miles 
Energy Economy   22.3miles/kWh
I can beat that:
Code:
Net consumption  -0.1 kWh 
Consumption       0.6 kWh 
Regeneration      0.7 kWh 
Miles             3.5 miles 
Energy Economy   62.0 miles/kWh
(This trip is almost all downhill). I have several instances of this trip with either 0 or negative net consumption and yet the energy economy is always reported as 62.

BnBinSD said:
I just happened to visit kolmstead's blog page where he had posted pictures of the underbody of the Leaf, and was surprised to see that instead of a completely smooth and aerodynamic belly, only the front of the Leaf has cladding.
You're mistaken - the entire Leaf underbody has plastic cladding. Except for high end sports cars - the Leaf has the "cleanest" underbody I've ever seen.

sproqitman said:
I can beat that:
Code:
(This trip is almost all downhill). I have several instances of this trip with either 0 or negative net consumption and yet the energy economy is always reported as 62.
That m/kwh doesn't look right - should be -35 ;)

evnow said:
sproqitman said:
I can beat that:
Code:
That m/kwh doesn't look right - should be -35 ;)
I thought it only read negative if you drive home in reverse. :mrgreen:

Okay, so now I have three weeks of data:
Code:
Odometer mileage               650.0
KWh reported by Blink          208.0
Miles/KWh                        3.1
Driving is half freeway/half surface streets, typically with lights, wipers, and heater on, plus a lot of up and down. So I'm satisfied with the miles/KWh. On a related note, has anyone calibrated what the Blink reports? I'm assuming it's reporting what it's pulling from the electrical panel, but I don't have a separate meter so I can't verify.

sproqitman said:
Okay, so now I have three weeks of data:
Code:
Odometer mileage               650.0
KWh reported by Blink          208.0
Miles/KWh                        3.1
Driving is half freeway/half surface streets, typically with lights, wipers, and heater on, plus a lot of up and down. So I'm satisfied with the miles/KWh. On a related note, has anyone calibrated what the Blink reports? I'm assuming it's reporting what it's pulling from the electrical panel, but I don't have a separate meter so I can't verify.

ok what is the car reporting on the energy screen for same time period?

Back