questions regarding ordering, delivery dates etc.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhog

OK. I have looked on the forums here and don't see a consolidated answer. Nissan Leaf Chat support is worthless.
I have had my delivery date jumping around over the last two weeks from Week of March 30th to week of April 12th and everything in between. Carwing finally opened up for me yesterday and I got my vin number. Some have said that the vin number only becomes available once the car is phiysically in the US. At the port or whatever. I have heard time estimates of delivery twoo weeks after vin available. Does anyone have the whole story here?

rawhog said:
OK. I have looked on the forums here and don't see a consolidated answer. Nissan Leaf Chat support is worthless.
I have had my delivery date jumping around over the last two weeks from Week of March 30th to week of April 12th and everything in between. Carwing finally opened up for me yesterday and I got my vin number. Some have said that the vin number only becomes available once the car is phiysically in the US. At the port or whatever. I have heard time estimates of delivery twoo weeks after vin available. Does anyone have the whole story here?

Summarizing from my read of the boards, the VIN number is communicated to you roughly when the car is unloaded from the ship here in the U.S. You then should expect four weeks from Carwings/VIN to dealer delivery.

My experience: I got my VIN and activated Carwings on March 1; since then my estimated delivery date has varied almost daily from "Week of March 25" to "Week of April 8" and a few dates in between. Today, 3/18, I got my 7-day email, which would put delivery on/about the original "March 25" promise. While the instability of the "Week of" promise is maddening, in the end it seems to have amounted to so much noise, as they are on track to meet the original date after all.

Getting week-of dates that might move around, a VIN, and CARWINGS able to be activated ... all together mean you car exists, is at (or near) the port, and ... is getting closer to being yours.

An EXTRA 2 to 4 weeks (more with the recent "flood" of cars) seem to be added to a "normal" car's distribution to a dealer due to some sort of EXTRA quality control, checking, testing, etc. that we suspect is being done at the port.

rawhog said:
Does anyone have the whole story here?
Nope. It's all conjecture, but a picture does seem to be emerging:

CARWINGS opens and VIN assigned - Car has been unloaded in US
Date in dashboard moves around - QA checks and accessory installs
7-day email - Car has passed final check and is being shipped to the dealer

At least, that's how I've interpreted the various random signals. So, be happy your car seems to be in the US. It will go through a series of QA checks and/or accessory installs. When you get the 7-day email, it should be on a truck/train headed in the direction of your dealer.

EricH said:
rawhog said:
Does anyone have the whole story here?
Summarizing from my read of the boards, the VIN number is communicated to you roughly when the car is unloaded from the ship here in the U.S. You then should expect four weeks from Carwings/VIN to dealer delivery.

My experience: I got my VIN and activated Carwings on March 1; since then my estimated delivery date has varied almost daily from "Week of March 25" to "Week of April 8" and a few dates in between. Today, 3/18, I got my 7-day email, which would put delivery on/about the original "March 25" promise.
And before you get too excited, Rawhog, here's my experience. I noticed my Carwings/Vin early on March 2nd. My estimated date has bounced between April 8th and April 18th. I'm still on April 18th. The estimated 4 weeks (not coming just from EricH- it's been thrown around quite a bit) would have put me at March 30th, but the current estimate is putting me more like 6 1/2 weeks. My original week of was April 14th.

I do believe that when you get your VIN it does mean that your car is in the US. But past that... about the only thing we 'know' is that your car will show up - eventually ::shrug::

You are likely to get another email once you are about 7 days out from delivery. That said - some have gotten theirs before the email and some have taken 2-3x longer. If you get it before your car, think of it as another sign that delivery will be soon.

FYI: I got my carwings active/vin# on february 20th. My dates have moved 9 times ranging from march 18th-30th, i received my 7 day email last friday and I am getting my car today, just waiting to be picked up. Hope that helps.

Thanks for all of the help and replies folks. I stopped at the dealer on the way home this afternoon to ask them to NOT install the front licencse plate bracket. While I was there the gal told me that my car should be there on April13th. :D

Is there speculation on what triggers the "Month of XXX" update? Scheduled for production...production complete...on the boat...???

thankyouOB said:
dpodoll said:
Is there speculation on what triggers the "Month of XXX" update? Scheduled for production...production complete...on the boat...???
i think it is on the boat or dockside in Japan.
Definitely NOT.

I (and many others) had a "Month of" date since Feb 8th. Since I do not have a "Week of" date yet the car has not yet reached Long Beach. There is no way Nissan would let the car sit on the docks for over a month.

When you get a "Month of" date - the car has most likely entered some phase of production - I'm guessing it's been scheduled for production.

rdhauser said:
Got notice Saturday (March 19) that Nissan was changing my "May 2011" arrival date to "pending" because of questions about the extent to which supply interruptions because of the tragedies in Japan will affect production.
Does your dashboard reflect this change?

Back