Lock for the QC Port

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uccello

It would be cool if there was a lock for the QC port so it couldn't be opened by mall rats while the car is charging with the L2 public charger.

-u

Uccello said:
It would be cool if there was a lock for the QC port so it couldn't be opened by mall rats while the car is charging with the L2 public charger.

-u

THe QC port is not the same as the L2, regardless why does it matter if the door is open when you can lock the cable?

EVDRIVER said:
Uccello said:

-u

THe QC port is not the same as the L2, regardless why does it matter if the door is open when you can lock the cable?

Because shiny objects attract mall rats???

An interesting thought though - how susceptible is the QC port to damage by someone messing with it? Compared to the L2 port?

Well, the thought came to me as I parked in the Mission Valley Mall in the EV only parking. The chargers there are the legacy chargers from 15 years ago and look like something out of Bladerunner. But the parking is run down and I can imagine that someone wanting to be smart might pour a coke in the QC port or just unplug the L2. The QC port can be opened if the car is charging on L2, since both ports are under the same locking door.

The car and it's electronics seem pretty exposed if you are just leaving it unattended for a few hours. The UK port cover is cool I guess. Don't really want another piece of junk rolling around in the trunk though.

-u

EVDRIVER said:
The QC port is not the same as the L2...
Even the Nissan dealers can't get this right yet. Both local dealers I've visited keep referring to their L2's as quick chargers... :roll:

Uccello said:
The UK port cover is cool I guess. Don't really want another piece of junk rolling around in the trunk though.

-u

It seems to me that there is a fairly simple way to cleverly design that locking cover into the hatch lid itself so you don't have to have it in the trunk. Unlocked the hatch door opens way up and you insert the charger connector - then close it a bit so it catches and locks. Unlock, open, remove the connector, and then push the hatch door all of the way closed. Don't know that it has to be an extra, separate piece.

garygid said:
With a "cool" logo on the small plastic cover on the QC socket (port), some might be tempted to rip it off, and "collect" them?

Perhaps a real nerd collector. "See my collection of J connector caps". Who would want that?

There's no logos on my port covers. They're blank, unlike the demo cars and photos of the charge portsfrom early cars that had a graphic of a smaller plug on the L1/L2 and a larger plug on the QC ports.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1563

I'm simply not going to worry about it. If someone wants to mess with it, a flimsy cover or lock is not going to stop them anyway.

Randy said:
There's no logos on my port covers. They're blank, unlike the demo cars and photos of the charge portsfrom early cars that had a graphic of a smaller plug on the L1/L2 and a larger plug on the QC ports.

mogur said:
I'm simply not going to worry about it. If someone wants to mess with it, a flimsy cover or lock is not going to stop them anyway.

Randy said:

Exactly. There is far too much concern over the charge port, cables and the like. They can easily be secured if one desires.

garygid said:
Who might break it off?
Perhaps the same people that break off an antenna,
key the car, or slash your tires?

Wow Gary, does that happen to you often? Where do you live and park?

I'll be interested to see exactly what the security is like when I pick up the Hertz LEAF in NYC next weekend. It's part of the "Connect" car sharing program, which is a self-service affair. I get the idea it's just sitting in a parking spot on the lower east side. I don't know what kind of video surveilance there might be, but I'll certainly be checking.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=10150109101726790&set=a.10150109101601790.286149.140570481789

I hope we can get enough people to request for this so that they will bring it to the US:
http://eyevio.jp/movie/420195" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Offical website:
http://ev.nissan.co.jp/LEAF/CHARGE/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (all the way at the bottom of the page)

Sorry, I know I posted this information on the other thread, but I am so excited about this option, and this is exactly what I wanted.

The first link is a video on how's the charge port lock works.
When the webpage comes out, in the middle of the page, it will be the video, click on the "Orange" button, and the video will start and show you how that "Nissan JPN factory optional" charge port lock work

sorry for the confusion. :oops:

garygid said:
What is it that you see ...
that we are supposed to see?

EVDRIVER said:
garygid said:
With a "cool" logo on the small plastic cover on the QC socket (port), some might be tempted to rip it off, and "collect" them?

Perhaps a real nerd collector. "See my collection of J connector caps". Who would want that?
My friend who has a collection of AOL disks (floppies and CDs).

Back