How to prepare a LEAF for long term storage?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxp

Is there anything you have to do to prepare a LEAF for long term storage? Is there any procedure to prevent the battery system from a complete discharge (or left in the charger for long periods) and damaging the battery?

Thx.

It's very complicated and dangerous...I suggest you bring your Leaf to my house when you get it and I'll drive it daily so you don't have a thing to worry about!

I suspect Nissan will distribute recommendations, it may, well, be possible to put the car into a 'storage' mode like the Tesla Roadster has that will charge/discharge the battery to about 50% and then minimally cycle it at intervals. If it is not possible to keep it on a charger during your storage time I'm not sure what the recommendation would be and would assume you'd need to inquire with Nissan...but going back to my first paragraph, it is probably best to have someone you trust drive and charge it intermittently rather than just store it.

You didn't say what "long term" is for you? I think a few months will be no issue, but if you're talking about 6 months, or a year or more, that may be a whole different and more complex issue.

The "traction" battery will probably self discharge over several months, with out being on a charger, it would probably be best to not store a Leaf for an extended period of time, if the main battery pack's state of charge drops too low, you might risk damage to it.

I would guess they don't want the pack discharged to more than %90 for an extended time, and that might take a long time to reach that point (perhaps 6 months or even a year, who knows), we will need an answer from Nissan on that.

I would think you would want to have someone just drive the leaf on occasion and put it on a charger for you, I would assume after the Leaf is charged, the charger just keeps it on a "trickle" charge to keep it topped off.

efusco said:
It's very complicated and dangerous...I suggest you bring your Leaf to my house when you get it and I'll drive it daily so you don't have a thing to worry about!

I suspect Nissan will distribute recommendations, it may, well, be possible to put the car into a 'storage' mode like the Tesla Roadster has that will charge/discharge the battery to about 50% and then minimally cycle it at intervals. If it is not possible to keep it on a charger during your storage time I'm not sure what the recommendation would be and would assume you'd need to inquire with Nissan...but going back to my first paragraph, it is probably best to have someone you trust drive and charge it intermittently rather than just store it.

You didn't say what "long term" is for you? I think a few months will be no issue, but if you're talking about 6 months, or a year or more, that may be a whole different and more complex issue.

If you live around my neighbourhood, no worries I'd let you drive it whilst I am away ;-P

The term I was thinking is probably 3- 6 mths. But I'd like to see Nissan's plan for say:
1-2 mths
3-6 mths
and > 6 mths.

Anyways, thanks to all who chimed in on this topic.

Back