Damaged Leaf Auction Advice Needed

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deiavatl

After costing up 20KWH of 18650 lithium Ion batteries at around $7K delivered I have decided instead to try and purchase a nissan leaf at a salvage auction this thursday. I had a go last week for an early gen2 model but did not really research what I was doing and so chickened out at $4K and it sold for under $4.5K

Now thinking about it, the leaf also has the charger, inverter, engine, bms, connectors, heaters, HVAC, pedals etc I can also use and so this $4.5K now seems cheap in retrospect.

The model on thursday is a 2015 gen2 model one with 33,000KM on the clock, there is nothing in the description to help me. It has frontal damage and the air bags have gone off, the damage to the front does not seem to have got past the radiator and the engine looks OK, there is no rear or side damage I can see so my main worry is the batteries whether the damage has affected them. It also has a low battery warning showing so the two red flags for lithium batteries are impact and cell voltage too low are both present or is the leaf pretty tough?

I do not plan to attend the auction as it is 3 hours drive away but I can bid on-line, there is a 10% buyers fee and another $300 to transport it home so I was going to bid upto $6K

I worry a little as there are lots of gen 1 2011/2012 leafs with 7-9 bars going for about the same final price as I intend to bid but I hear the gen 2 batteries are better and I dont want to take a good one off the road it just seems wrong

All advice welcome

And one more question but it's off-topic. Curious if any of you mud ponders/breeders use aeration https://greenyardmaster.com/best-pond-aerators/ in your mud ponds at all? Ive seen a few of the floating paddle types in some pics from Japan, but wonder if any of yall in the US aerate?

Impact damage to the front shouldn't have damaged the battery pack. If the car has Quick Charge then the port and/or cables for that may have been damaged. The low battery warning depends on the severity and duration: if at least 10% charge is present and it hasn't sat that way for months then the battery is probably ok. I can't say more than that from here.

Using the leaf motor, controller and battery in a “conversion “ is a popular hobby for some.

I would be Careful about auction fees,
$4.5k is likely $7k after fees at which point you could buy a runner

rmay635703 said:

What? >50% fees? I realize I'm no auction "expert", but those fees don't seem "reasonable and customary".

I would say to anyone... Never buy at an auction. There are no "take backs", and there is a reason it is at auction.

The only reason I would but at auction is if you need parts that you can see (and know they are good), and the auction price is a real bargain (much less than buying those parts elsewhere).

Then you can strip the car, and then strip the rest of the car to a bare carcass and sell all the parts you can on ebay.. Then you call up the steel wreckers to pick up the carcass, and they give you money for that...

Stanton said:
rmay635703 said:

What? >50% fees? I realize I'm no auction "expert", but those fees don't seem "reasonable and customary".

If it’s copart and your going through a 3rd party the fees follow a mathematical schedule , look it up and post back

I’ve never found them to be reasonable or customary on low value auctions

Back