Electrify America Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Five sites have opened, making 19 for the month and 218 total: North Highlands, CA. (I-80 NE of Sacramento); Wagon Mound, NM (Jct. I-15/S.R. 120); W. Unity, OH W/B (I-80&90); Mentor, OH (Jct. S.R.2/24 off I-90, NE of Cleveland); Tampa, FL (Jct. I-75/S.R. 93A).

North Highlands is currently the furthest east site on I-80 in Ca., although Rocklin will soon overtake that, and Truckee is also Coming soon.

Wagon Mound makes the trip from ABQ to DEN practical. W. Unity W/B completes the pair on the toll section of I-80&90.

Mentor makes it practical to go from Chicago or Detroit via Genoa to Buffalo.

Tampa makes all of I-75 in Western Fl. practical.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Either at EA locations or otherwise, have any 100kWh ChadeMo chargers started becoming available?
lol.

Outside of EA or other VW dieselgate funded initiatives, new CHAdeMO in the US is like seeing a dodo bird. Don't be surprised if we never see a single 100 kW CHAdeMO in the USA. Not only is the network protocol in caretaker mode, I gather that the 100 kW DCFC is quite expensive.

Addendum:
My go to data is the
https://afdc.energy.gov/stations/#/analyze?fuel=ELEC&ev_levels=dc_fast&ev_connectors=CHADEMO

I downloaded the DCFC dataset that included CHAdeMO here
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-m_KzRIGPnslE1pabgOttQld32ht0uyQsoyNo3KY7iY/edit?usp=sharing
and looked at the highest 200 ID numbers. EA accounts for 159 of them, while EVgo and CP are 17 each. I am not familiar with EVGo but I know that Chargepoint is paid with dieselgate money in Colorado (and presumably elsewhere.)

GRA said:
danrjones said:
Interesting, thank you.

Nothing for lone pine though?
It would certainly be useful, especially for those of us coming down from Bishop to the Whitney area (or heading off to Death Valley), as the round trip from Bishop up to Whitney Portal and back's a bit far albeit doable. My ultimate wish list would be QCs in Bridgeport, Lee Vining, June Lake, Mammoth Lakes, Bishop, Big Pine, Independence, Lone Pine, Olancha (the town itself, not Coso Junction), Inyokern, Mojave and Kramer Junction, plus Panamint Springs and Furnace Creek. There are gas stations in all of these, and QCs will need to be just as dense if BEVs are to offer anything approaching the flexibility and convenience of ICEs.

Coso Junction did surprise me a bit, there's a rest stop there but not much else.

Olancha has a tad more.

Lone Pine has a lot more.

I'll tell you though, having a fast charger in Mojave is going to be great if I need an extra charge going or coming to the dealer in Palmdale. That's going to be nice. There are chargepoint lvl2 there as well. But this is even better. Assuming my car isn't too hot to fast charge, of course.

SageBrush said:
Outside of EA or other VW dieselgate funded initiatives, new CHAdeMO in the US is like seeing a dodo bird. Don't be surprised if we never see a single 100 kW CHAdeMO in the USA. Not only is the network protocol in caretaker mode, I gather that the 100 kW DCFC is quite expensive

I believe there are a few EVGO chargers in California that charge up to 100kW. For example, the one at 2115 6th St, Sacramento, CA, USA has three 100kW plugs and three 50kW plugs.

paulgipe said:
Guy,

Bridgeport has a EA station going in.

Paul
Paul, I know, I was referring to what I'd like to see as an ultimate list. The problem for me and most Bay Area people with Bridgeport is that it forces you to take slower and longer 108 (or do a 50 mile round trip the opposite direction we want to go from L.V.) for those of us traveling from the Bay Area over to 395 who want to head south, which is the majority of the traffic. 120 is much better and sees a lot more traffic*, and L.V.'s the obvious place to put the QC if installing them at the best junctions rather than just taking account of spacing to minimize the number of sites is your priority.

*http://www.dot.ca.gov/trafficops/census/volumes2017/Route103-116.html See "Sonora Junction. JCT. RTE. 395" (and the "Camp Cloudburst USMC" listing immediately preceding it, for a rough idea of the ahead volume - I imagine a fair amount of the traffic west of the Junction is travel to/from the USMC's Mountain Warfare Training Center at Pickel Meadows).

http://www.dot.ca.gov/trafficops/census/volumes2017/Route118-133.html See "N. Jct. RTE. 395".

Electrify America just called me about my inquiry regarding 100KW Chademo Chargers. They currently have no plans to upgrade their 50KW chargers to 100KW chargers, and do not currently have plans to add 100 KW Chademos in the near future.

Too bad, though I was appreciative that EA has responded each time I reached out.

Leaf drivers with the Plus, start emailing EA and ask for the better chargers.

If we can generate enough requests, maybe, just maybe, we can get that second Chademo at the EA locations and a improved charging rates.

Five stations have opened, making 26 for the month and 225 total: Tulalip, WA (I-5 btwn. S.R.'s 528 and 531, N. of Everett); Kelso, WA (Jct. I-5/S.R. 4); Fresno, CA #1 (NW of dwtn., btwn. S.R.'s 99 and 41); Houston, TX #1 (I-10 W. of Jct. S.R. 8); Sheffield, OH (Jct. I-90/S.R. 254).

GetOffYourGas said:
Down to the wire. Will they open half (242) of their cycle one stations by the end of cycle one?
At the rate they're opening them, does it matter to anyone other than the governments concerned? Whether or not they meet their statutory requirements, I'm very satisfied with how far and how fast they're getting this done - it puts everyone else in the shade. Maybe we should look at Dieselgate as a blessing in disguise; no-one's building QCs because they're profitable, so any increase remains dependent on government subsidies such as this. And it is a gov't subsidy, as they could have just fined VW instead and put the money in general funds, using it for whatever.

Agreed. Prior to EA Iowa was void of QC all together.

Every month the demand side grows, but as most of charge at home, you need 5-6x the number of car per QC that you needed per gas station.

GRA said:
GetOffYourGas said:
Down to the wire. Will they open half (242) of their cycle one stations by the end of cycle one?
At the rate they're opening them, does it matter to anyone other than the governments concerned? Whether or not they meet their statutory requirements, I'm very satisfied with how far and how fast they're getting this done - it puts everyone else in the shade. Maybe we should look at Dieselgate as a blessing in disguise; no-one's building QCs because they're profitable, so any increase remains dependent on government subsidies such as this. And it is a gov't subsidy, as they could have just fined VW instead and put the money in general funds, using it for whatever.

Sure, it's an arbitrary milestone. But yes, there are EV drivers who care that EA is behind. A friend of mine is travelling from Central NY to Indiana next week in his Niro EV. He sure would appreciate EA being open in Erie PA and Waterloo NY, both of which should have been open by June 30. Instead, Fredonia NY is down and may not be back up in time, and he is worried that others may have lengthy issues as well.
Shortly after him, I will be travelling as well, and could use several of the EA sites that are still "coming soon".

Summer is travel season. Even more so in the Northeast where we have four actual seasons. It looks like EA is going to completely miss it for 2019.

GRA said:
paulgipe said:
Guy,

Bridgeport has a EA station going in.

Paul
Paul, I know, I was referring to what I'd like to see as an ultimate list. The problem for me and most Bay Area people with Bridgeport is that it forces you to take slower and longer 108 (or do a 50 mile round trip the opposite direction we want to go from L.V.) for those of us traveling from the Bay Area over to 395 who want to head south, which is the majority of the traffic. 120 is much better and sees a lot more traffic*, and L.V.'s the obvious place to put the QC if installing them at the best junctions rather than just taking account of spacing to minimize the number of sites is your priority.

*http://www.dot.ca.gov/trafficops/census/volumes2017/Route103-116.html See "Sonora Junction. JCT. RTE. 395" (and the "Camp Cloudburst USMC" listing immediately preceding it, for a rough idea of the ahead volume - I imagine a fair amount of the traffic west of the Junction is travel to/from the USMC's Mountain Warfare Training Center at Pickel Meadows).

http://www.dot.ca.gov/trafficops/census/volumes2017/Route118-133.html See "N. Jct. RTE. 395".

Agreed Guy, but right now Tioga Pass is effectively closed with no estimate of when it will have full service.

Tesla chose Lone Pine no doubt just for the reason you cite. They also have stations in Mammoth and Inyokern as well as Mojave. . .

Paul

GetOffYourGas said:
GRA said:
GetOffYourGas said:
Sure, it's an arbitrary milestone. But yes, there are EV drivers who care that EA is behind. A friend of mine is travelling from Central NY to Indiana next week in his Niro EV. He sure would appreciate EA being open in Erie PA and Waterloo NY, both of which should have been open by June 30. Instead, Fredonia NY is down and may not be back up in time, and he is worried that others may have lengthy issues as well.
Shortly after him, I will be travelling as well, and could use several of the EA sites that are still "coming soon".

Summer is travel season. Even more so in the Northeast where we have four actual seasons. It looks like EA is going to completely miss it for 2019.
I feel for you guys, but "completely missing it" seems a huge overstatement, given all the routes for non-Teslas (well, CCS cars, with CHAdeMO given token support) that are now possible, but weren't at any time prior to this; I-95 from Boston to Miami and the Florida Keys and (most) of I-5, I-80 from NYC to I-76 in Nebraska and on to Denver, I -10 from Jacksonville to Phoenix (need some infill to shorten some legs), I -44, I-70 from Baltimore/WDC to Denver (need a couple more to shorten legs), I-90 from Seattle to Butte, I-84 from Portland to SLC, I-94 from Chicago to the Twin Cities, I-15 (mostly), etc. and all accomplished in a bit over 1 year from the first opening. For comparison, Tesla's got some sites that have been "Coming soon" for four years now.

BTW, between Cheektowaga, Mentor and Sheffield and west on I-80, or Mansfield, Huber Heights, Indianapolis on I76/I-70 as the case may be, Erie and Fredonia shouldn't be a major issue for your friend. Can't say how critical Waterloo is for him. I fully understand the worries, but then I've been waiting 8 years for QCs to be built where I need them, so I guess I've developed a minimal amount of patience (and have held off buying a BEV until the QCs are available).

paulgipe said:
GRA" Agreed Guy said:
Most of us on TMC were asking Tesla for Lee Vining instead of Mammoth, but did they listen to us? Nope. At least they served the people coming up from the south to ski there, and they did build an adequate site in Groveland, as we requested. I need to try and nudge CEC to get their head out of their anal orifice and expand the QC site there, because a single QC is ludicrously inadequate.

BTW, if Tioga Pass is closed, the high country's all still snowed under too, so hiking/backpacking isn't an option, only skis/snowshoes. Until people can walk, most will be staying home. This is going to be a very late season opening, probably a lot like '83 (I was kicking steps up a near vertical 12' high snowbank at the south end of Evolution Lake on the John Muir Trail in mid-July that year, and the trail was buried for at least 1,000' feet elevation below Muir Pass on either side), and it's likely that the Tuolumne Meadows Lodge and High Sierra Camps won't open this year. As it is, they opened Tioga for limited hours on the 21st: https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tioga.htm As you can see, the snow cover is still extensive. It's possible to drive it, albeit not yet for the typical weekend trip (when you're driving up Friday night).

Oh, you asked in a PM for a topic list. "Expanding EV charging in Yosemite" https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=22595&start=30 and "Update on CalTrans District 9 (Sierra Nevada East Side) DC Fast Charger Program" https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=26848 and maybe "Re: EV Advocates form Eastern Sierra Electric Vehicle Association" https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=26565&p=553792#p553792 and "Lee Vining's Pioneer Pavilion Small Step for a Big Idea--Solar EV Charging at the Eastern Gateway to Yosemite" https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=26737 There may be others, but those should be plenty.

Hammond, LA (Jct. I-12/55) is open, #27 for the month, #226 total. Hammond was much needed to chop the 177 mile I-10/12 leg between Breaux Bridge and Gulfport into two legs of 91 and 87 miles.

GRA said:
Hammond, LA (Jct. I-12/55) is open, #27 for the month, #226 total. Hammond was much needed to chop the 177 mile I-10/12 leg between Breaux Bridge and Gulfport into two legs of 91 and 87 miles.

Also

https://www.plugshare.com/location/186859

Back