Best choice for a used Leaf under $10,000 in Oregon

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dp1062

Hi,

I am looking for advice about making a used Leaf purchase. I live in Eugene and plan to drive the car in town < 50 miles a day. I will have a backup Honda CRV for longer trips and camping, etc.

I am wanting to get my feet wet with a EV vehicle and make sure it is something I want before making too big of an investment. If I get into it, I can see selling the Leaf and the CRV in a couple of years and going with a long range EV SUV.

So, I am looking for suggestions about what would year and model Leaf would be the best for my situation: 2-3 years of ownership with best maintained resale value, limited range need, charge at home for 12 hours doable. I do not have a 240 V outlet, but have a 240 line in the garage I can have someone tap into. Unfortunately I will have to store and charge the vehicle outside (one car garage with my wife's in the garage). I am kind of partial to leather interior but it is not essential.

I would like to spend < $10,000. I have followed the forum about canary batteries and was looking at 4/2013 or later in SL trim line. I have read the thread by Leftiebiker about buying a used Leaf and very much appreciate that guidance.

Does anyone have any suggestion for me?

Thanks!

While the 2015 Leaf is the best choice, a 2014 with 12 bars (or even a full 11) should serve you well, and be less expensive. If the car will be local use only, I suggest you look for one with Premium Package, although a 'base' SL would likely cost less. If you see a really nice, late build '13, remember to look for a backup camera. That wasn't standard in 2013, even on the SL.

LeftieBiker said:
.... If you see a really nice, late build '13, remember to look for a backup camera. That wasn't standard in 2013, even on the SL.
I'm almost positive a backup camera was standard on a '13SL, it was an option on the '13 S and SV though :)

jjeff said:
LeftieBiker said:
.... If you see a really nice, late build '13, remember to look for a backup camera. That wasn't standard in 2013, even on the SL.
I'm almost positive a backup camera was standard on a '13SL, it was an option on the '13 S and SV though :)

You may be right, but I seem to recall a case or two where someone bought a '13 SL and it lacked even the rear camera. It may have been a regional or time of year thing. The '86 Civic Si, for example, was supposed to have 14" wheels, but my East coast version came with 13" wheels.

My S Model '13 has a back-up camera. I think it was bundled with the package that included the CHAdeMO port

OP, I think you are on the right track but be mindful of a little arithmetic:

50 miles is about 15 kWh for all season driving
10% reserve is about 2 kWh
2-3 years of ownership is 10% degradation
So no LEAF below 19 kWh usable today will work for you without intra-day charging

That pretty much excludes '13 models and with few exceptions '14 models.
You really need to shop by LeafSpy results and to pass on any car you doubt the battery test results.

SageBrush said:
OP, I think you are on the right track but be mindful of a little arithmetic:

50 miles is about 15 kWh for all season driving
10% reserve is about 2 kWh
2-3 years of ownership is 10% degradation
So no LEAF below 19 kWh usable today will work for you without intra-day charging

That pretty much excludes '13 models and with few exceptions '14 models.
You really need to shop by LeafSpy results and to pass on any car you doubt the battery test results.

With a backup car, I think that a solid 11 bar Leaf with a heatpump would manage the OP's needs for two or three years. We aren't talking about freeway speeds or subzero temps. The OP does need to understand that slowing down in Winter may be necessary to avoid range anxiety, along with using the ICEV for trips above 30 miles in really cold weather..

Thank you SageBrush, LeftieBiker and JJeff for our advice. I will make sure I have a back up camera and look for 2015 > 2014 > late model 2013 (with a heatpump and a solid 11 bars)

I have downloaded Leaf Spy. I am a little intimidated but I will carefully read the help file. I am wondering how sellers would feel about me hooking Leaf Spy up to their Leaf. I would hate to mess up anything with the function of their Leaf especially if I ended up not buying it. It looks like Leaf Spy is something I may want to use to monitor my own Leaf's function as well and not to just to check out the battery before purchase, so I went ahead and donloaded it and bought a LELink adapter from Amazon

LeftieBiker said:
We aren't talking about freeway speeds or subzero temps. The OP does need to understand that slowing down in Winter may be necessary to avoid range anxiety, along with using the ICEV for trips above 30 miles in really cold weather..
I don't know why you presume no highway use; and while Eugene has a very temperate climate, defogging is SOP. I'm not usually much of a heat pump advocate in cars but they sure make sense for the foggy Eugene climate.

SageBrush said:
LeftieBiker said:
We aren't talking about freeway speeds or subzero temps. The OP does need to understand that slowing down in Winter may be necessary to avoid range anxiety, along with using the ICEV for trips above 30 miles in really cold weather..
I don't know why you presume no highway use; and while Eugene has a very temperate climate, defogging is SOP. I'm not usually much of a heat pump advocate in cars but they sure make sense for the foggy Eugene climate.

By "freeway" speeds I mean 65+MPH, not "highway" speeds of 55-65. I was going by this: "I live in Eugene and plan to drive the car in town < 50 miles a day."

I see we agree on the heatpump, but you clipped my quote to exclude my suggesting one. ;)

Back