Electrify America Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Pismo Beach station is still wrapped in plastic. It's now been months since they were installed. The site has been removed from PlugShare. I assume EA figures that if the get the stations in the ground that counts toward their CARB settlement to be complete by June. Turning them? Maybe that wasn't covered. ;)

Paul

Electrify America announced about 3 months ago that they are behind schedule. The Phase I chargers will all be operational by December 31st, according to EA.

NY seems to be far worse than CA. There are three that I know of Waterloo, Herkimer, and Albany which appear to be completely installed and wired up, yet they sit there for months unpowered. My best guess is that EA is fighting against NYS' red tape. We are notoriously bad for business here. The state regulates the heck out of everything, adding cost and delays to even the simplest projects.

GetOffYourGas said:
Electrify America announced about 3 months ago that they are behind schedule. The Phase I chargers will all be operational by December 31st, according to EA.

NY seems to be far worse than CA. There are three that I know of Waterloo, Herkimer, and Albany which appear to be completely installed and wired up, yet they sit there for months unpowered. My best guess is that EA is fighting against NYS' red tape. We are notoriously bad for business here. The state regulates the heck out of everything, adding cost and delays to even the simplest projects.
You think CA is any different? :? Although here, it's more likely local permits and regs from AHJs that are the issue, as the state's fully on-board.

paulgipe said:
The Pismo Beach station is still wrapped in plastic. It's now been months since they were installed. The site has been removed from PlugShare. I assume EA figures that if the get the stations in the ground that counts toward their CARB settlement to be complete by June. Turning them? Maybe that wasn't covered. ;)

Paul
The requirement was for 300 Cycle 1 stations to be complete or substantially underway (or words to that effect; I don't remember the exact wording) by June 30th. whether that means property agreements, permits, under construction or what IDK.

[Update] Six sites have opened, making 8 for the month and 207 total: Smelterville, ID (I-90 btwn. Enaville and Kellogg); Pueblo, CO (Jct. I-25/U.S. 50); Ft. Stockton, TX (I-10); Midland, TX (Jct. I-20/S.R. 158/349); Huber Heights, OH (I-70, just E. of Jct. I-75, N. of Dayton); Cocoa, FL Jct. (I-95/S.R. 520).

Smelterville shortens the I-90 leg between Spokane Valley and Missoula from 184 miles to legs of 56 and 130 miles.

Pueblo provides access to/from U.S. 50, E. or W, and shortens the (126 mile) I-25 leg between Fountain and Trinidad to legs of 35 and 92 miles.

With Ft. Stockton, it's just possible using extreme care to connect to Junction (201 mi.), and thus, assuming you have dest. charging at both ends, it's now possible (but not yet practical) to drive I-10 from Phoenix to Jacksonville. The "Coming soon" site" in Ozona, TX will shorten the Ft. Stockton to Junction leg from 201 miles to two legs of 102 and 93 miles. Other "Coming soon" sites needed to make the route practical are Hammond LA., Tallahassee FL, Tucson or Casa Grande AZ, plus a site in Lordsburg NM, Wilcox AZ, or somewhere in between.

Midland extends I-20 west from DFW, and it's now possible but not practical to reach Van Horn (183 miles), and continue on to Phoenix as above.

Opening Huber Heights means there is now a no-toll route (once you leave NYC via toll bridge or tunnel) from NYC to Chicago, via I-80 to Youngstown, then I-76 and 71 to Columbus, I-70 to Indianapolis and I-65 etc. to Chicago, although it adds about 124 miles to the trip; there's now also a no-toll route from NYC to STL and beyond. Two sites on I-70 in Pennsylvania are needed to provide a direct I-70 route to WDC/Baltimore.

Cocoa, FL, shortens the (149 mile) I-95 leg between Ormond Beach and Port St. Lucie to legs of 67 and 82 miles.

paulgipe said:
Guy, yes substantially underway would be met. Kiosks are in, transformers maybe not. Two weeks to go to see if they will meet the end of June deadline.

Paul
Paul, when you say the Pismo Beach site has been removed from Plugshare, do you mean someone showed it as open? Because I see it showing as under construction, "Coming soon" on Plugshare. Both Madera and Selma are shown as open on PS, even though they aren't according to EA, and no one has recorded a check-in saying they're operational.

Electrify America called me today to follow up on my request to have more than 1 Chademo charger at each station.

The employee took some notes from the conversation and said he would put it into their internal discussions and appreciated that I reached out. I thanked him for reaching out.

Other leaf owners, please do the same. Enough interest will drive change.

Saw the new Leaf Add hit multiple tv stations this week. It will be interesting to see how June and July sales look.

Cornelius, OR (Urb., S.R. 8, W. of Portland) is open, #9 for the month and #208 total.

My dad and I used to drive up from Oakland and visit relatives who lived in Cornelius and/or Forest Grove (right next door), a loooong time ago.

GRA said:
paulgipe said:
Guy, yes substantially underway would be met. Kiosks are in, transformers maybe not. Two weeks to go to see if they will meet the end of June deadline.

Paul
Paul, when you say the Pismo Beach site has been removed from Plugshare, do you mean someone showed it as open? Because I see it showing as under construction, "Coming soon" on Plugshare. Both Madera and Selma are shown as open on PS, even though they aren't according to EA, and no one has recorded a check-in saying they're operational.

Yes, Pismo Beach is back up on PlugShare as coming soon. Last I looked it had disappeared. ;)

Their Bakersfield station is also still showing as coming soon.

Paul

Three sites are open, making 12 for the month and 211 total: Hood River, OR (I-84); Bedford, PA (Jct. I-70/76/99); Durham, NC (Urb., Jct. I-85/S.R. 86. [Update: "Durham" has been renamed "Hillsborough", location unchanged.

Hood river shortens the 182 mile I-84 leg between downtown Portland and Hermiston from 182 miles to legs of 61 and 121 miles.

Bedford makes it possible with extreme care to drive I-70 & 76 the 190 miles between Cambridge, OH and Bedford, and then on to WDC/Baltimore via Hagerstown. There was a site listed as "Coming soon" in between those two at the junction of I-70 and S.R. 51 in PA, but that has disappeared from EA's "Coming soon" map; presumably at least one site will be added to shorten the leg. There is a "Coming soon" site further north on S.R. 51 in Vernon, PA, just south of Pittsburgh, but that involves a bit of a detour.

From Hillsborough it's possible to reach Wytheville (159 miles), as well as several sites in NC and SC to the NE and S.

paulgipe said:
Guy,

Two sites under construction on US 395 on the East Side of the Sierra Nevada. Put up on Plugshare by Geo: Coso Junction and Bishop.

https://www.plugshare.com/location/190894
https://www.plugshare.com/location/186193

The site in Bakersfield will be delayed for several weeks if not more.

Paul

Updates on the 395/14 corridor for anyone curious - it looks like Coso Junction is getting close, per photos someone posted on plugshare.
It looks like they are installing either 7 CCS and 1 Chademo or 9 CCS and 1 Chademo from the photos.

Other locations also seem to include Mojave and Bishop and further north Bridgeport on the 395/14 corridor.

Covington, WA (Jct. S.R. 18/516) is open, #14 for the month and #213 total. Oddly, it's listed without a CHAdeMO, just 3 CCS and 1 L2.

^^^Glad to see Mojave pop up, as it's definitely wanted between Bakersfield and Barstow, and more importantly between LA and Coso Junction, as that's 161 or 169 miles with climbing; Mojave reduces that to legs of 95 and 76 miles. Now they'll have both 14 and 395 (Hesperia) covered, although one at Kramer Junction or Inyokern wouldn't hurt. I like that they're color coding the CHAdeMO connector, although it would probably be better if the entire structure holding the connector had some such coding.

Steep tariff for an EV that starts at over 75 kW.
For my Model 3 it will work out to ~ 45 cents a kWh averaged over a charging session

Definitely an emergency option only

GRA said:
Covington, WA (Jct. S.R. 18/516) is open, #14 for the month and #213 total. Oddly, it's listed without a CHAdeMO, just 3 CCS and 1 L2.

^^^Glad to see Mojave pop up, as it's definitely wanted between Bakersfield and Barstow, and more importantly between LA and Coso Junction, as that's 161 or 169 miles with climbing; Mojave reduces that to legs of 95 and 76 miles. Now they'll have both 14 and 395 (Hesperia) covered, although one at Kramer Junction or Inyokern wouldn't hurt. I like that they're color coding the CHAdeMO connector, although it would probably be better if the entire structure holding the connector had some such coding.

Kramer Junction would be a good spot as it would catch north south traffic on 395 and east-west traffic on 58.

I agree Inyokern or Ridgecrest would also be nice for folks. Tesla chose Inyokern next to Classic Burgers; Ridgecrest would be a couple miles off the path but with more selection of "stuff". Wouldn't help me since i live there!

Lone Pine would be nice as another option as Coso Junction is still too close to where I am, but it probably works well for most traffic. Lone Pine would be much nicer stop though.

danrjones said:
GRA said:

Kramer Junction would be a good spot as it would catch north south traffic on 395 and east-west traffic on 58.

I agree Inyokern or Ridgecrest would also be nice for folks. Tesla chose Inyokern next to Classic Burgers; Ridgecrest would be a couple miles off the path but with more selection of "stuff". Wouldn't help me since i live there!

Lone Pine would be nice as another option as Coso Junction is still too close to where I am, but it probably works well for most traffic. Lone Pine would be much nicer stop though.

Dan,

EV Connect has a CEC contract for a station at the Inyokern airport. There's no activity yet as of a few weeks ago according to Collin Burnell who went out there. ChargePoint has a CEC station contract for Robber's Roost. No action there yet either.

The CalTrans stations for Bishop, Independence, and Coso Junction likely won't be active until 2020 at their current pace. . .

I assume you're aware of a Kern County meeting in Ridgecrest about EV charging? If not, contact Linda Urata at Kern COG.

Paul

danrjones said:
Interesting, thank you.

Nothing for lone pine though?
It would certainly be useful, especially for those of us coming down from Bishop to the Whitney area (or heading off to Death Valley), as the round trip from Bishop up to Whitney Portal and back's a bit far albeit doable. My ultimate wish list would be QCs in Bridgeport, Lee Vining, June Lake, Mammoth Lakes, Bishop, Big Pine, Independence, Lone Pine, Olancha (the town itself, not Coso Junction), Inyokern, Mojave and Kramer Junction, plus Panamint Springs and Furnace Creek. There are gas stations in all of these, and QCs will need to be just as dense if BEVs are to offer anything approaching the flexibility and convenience of ICEs.

Back