Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a bit confused. I have a 2019 Leaf Plus with ~ 60kWh battery & want to start paying better attention to what is going on behind the curtain - i.e. purchase LeafSpy Pro.
I'm confused which OBD-II device to get.

I was about to purchase LELink^2, but want to double check whether the statement below means the Zero-Power Mode is not usable, or the device is not usable.
I looked at the Carista - but there is a bunch of negative feedback about a yearly subscription being required to obtain full function.

The LELink/LELink^2 are Bluetooth 4.x LE for both Android and iOS devices. With the LELink^2 having a zero power mode that will be supported for 2011-2017 Leafs. It is not usable on a 2018 or newer Leaf.

The Carista is Bluetooth 4.x LE for iOS devices and standard Bluetooth for Android.

The main thing I currently want to check is traction battery temperature. The dashboard gauge hasn't moved more than 1/2 inch from the very center of the range with freeway trips 100 miles @ 80 mph or charging at 38 kW. Either Nissan has made great strides toward solving the TMS problem, or my car has a faulty gauge readout.

2011RedLeaf said:
I'm a bit confused. I have a 2019 Leaf Plus with ~ 60kWh battery & want to start paying better attention to what is going on behind the curtain - i.e. purchase LeafSpy Pro.
I'm confused which OBD-II device to get.

I was about to purchase LELink^2, but want to double check whether the statement below means the Zero-Power Mode is not usable, or the device is not usable.
I looked at the Carista - but there is a bunch of negative feedback about a yearly subscription being required to obtain full function.

The LELink/LELink^2 are Bluetooth 4.x LE for both Android and iOS devices. With the LELink^2 having a zero power mode that will be supported for 2011-2017 Leafs. It is not usable on a 2018 or newer Leaf.

The Carista is Bluetooth 4.x LE for iOS devices and standard Bluetooth for Android.

The main thing I currently want to check is traction battery temperature. The dashboard gauge hasn't moved more than 1/2 inch from the very center of the range with freeway trips 100 miles @ 80 mph or charging at 38 kW. Either Nissan has made great strides toward solving the TMS problem, or my car has a faulty gauge readout.
The LELink^2 works fine with a 2019 Leaf. You should just not enable the special zero power mode when used with a 2018 or newer Leaf. Zero power mode comes disabled and if LeafSpy Pro detects a 2018 or newer Leaf the option to enable zero power mode is blocked.

The Carista works with LeafSpy Pro and does not require any subscription from Carista. They might be referring to some other app used with Carista that requires a yearly subscription.

crunchy3d said:
crunchy3d said:
Unfortunately, from updating to beta version I can't get any new Log files. Only TripChrgLog*.csv file is updated with new trips, while Log_*.scv files are not created or new data appended to old file (in the same day, of course).
My settings are (the relevant ones):

Logging:
- Enable Data Logging
- Deselected Log Cell Voltages

No Dropbox or Server

Does anybody get new data written to Log file (have I missed something?)?

New info. If "Log Cell Voltages" in menu "Logging" is selected (checkbox is selected), the Log_*.scv file is created. Otherwise Log_*.scv file is not created!
@Turbo3, I suppose it is a bug and Log_*.scv file should be created in both cases, except that cell voltages are not written if the checkbox is not selected?
I checked the code and there is no connection between the "Log Cell Voltages" option and writing to a Log file. It only controls whether the Cell Pair voltages are read from the Leaf and saved to the Log file.

The only thing I can think of is you have selected a custom screen 3 and are viewing that custom screen 3. When viewing a custom screen Logging is temporarily disabled.

I'll verify this next week when I have access to a Leaf for testing.

Turbo3 said:
I checked the code and there is no connection between the "Log Cell Voltages" option and writing to a Log file. It only controls whether the Cell Pair voltages are read from the Leaf and saved to the Log file.

The only thing I can think of is you have selected a custom screen 3 and are viewing that custom screen 3. When viewing a custom screen Logging is temporarily disabled.

I am using screen 4 (not custom screen 3). The pattern is as described. When checking "Log Cell Voltages" everything works as usual. Deselecting it causes no data written to Log file. First I thought that the problem is that I upgraded in the morning after one trip, so the afternoon trip was not added to the existing file due to (maybe) different CSV layout (e.g. cell voltages do not exist). However, when the next day the file was not written as well I made few experiments and discovered the pattern: "Log Cell Voltages" checked creates the file (or appends the data to the file) and vice versa.

crunchy3d said:
Turbo3 said:

I am using screen 4 (not custom screen 3). The pattern is as described. When checking "Log Cell Voltages" everything works as usual. Deselecting it causes no data written to Log file. First I thought that the problem is that I upgraded in the morning after one trip, so the afternoon trip was not added to the existing file due to (maybe) different CSV layout (e.g. cell voltages do not exist). However, when the next day the file was not written as well I made few experiments and discovered the pattern: "Log Cell Voltages" checked creates the file (or appends the data to the file) and vice versa.

@Turbo3

Can comfirm what crunchy3D say's: checked log cell voltage's will write to the log file, unchecked no writing at all is done to the log file..... just did the test on my 2018 leaf.

Is it possible that the vent speed and airco status is not working on the custom screen with 2018+ leafs? (looking at user3 custom screen)

Turbo3 said:
I understand that from leaf 2018+ there is no more (passive) CAN activity onto the ODB plug.
another approch can be when the leaf is off (asleep) and leafspy begins to poll with active CAN commands AND there is no answer (fi polling the SOH or VIN will not give a valid responce) than instruct leafspy to stop sending active commands to protect the relay clicking and assume the leaf is off..... (showing then a reconnect screen or something)

have a nice we

Yes, that can be done. There is code that handles the timeout when the Leaf does not respond which today delays a few seconds and retries. I can change that code for a 2018+ Leaf so the Service code sets a flag the foreground code can check and then ask the user to turn on the Leaf and press connect to continue. The foreground code can then tell the Service code to retry the command. I will need the message in Japanese, French and German.

The Service code runs all the time (even when the device is off) whereas the foreground code only runs when the app has the screen.

message in English label "Leaf is Off", button "Please Reconnect"
message in French label "Leaf au arrêt" button " Reconnecter svp"
message in German label "Leaf is aus" button "reconnectieren bitte"

have a nice day

DaveinOlyWA said:
Looks like ambient temp is gone from screen 4. I do like that that batt temps don't toggle automatically any more.
Toggling between tire pressures and battery temperatures is an option. A single tap on that sub panel will disable alternating so the current selection stays. A long tap enables alternating between the two displays. Ambient temperature should still be displayed. Should display "**" until a value can be read from the Leaf.

crunchy3d said:
Turbo3 said:

Must be some indirect connection I don't see yet.

========================================

Found the bug. One line of code needs to be deleted that required the cell voltages to be read or it would not log.

Just uploaded test version 0.45.121 with fix for not logging if not reading cell pair voltages.

Also includes fix for app crashing when Uploading to Dropbox that I have seen in the crash reports from Google. Anyone who has has 0.45.120 crash let me know if this fixes the problem as I have know way to know who you are.

Link to test if you are not currently in the test group.

https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.Turbo3.Leaf_Spy_Pro

Turbo3 said:
Just uploaded test version 0.45.121 with fix for not logging if not reading cell pair voltages.
Still does not log if not reading cell pair voltages. @virol, anybody else confirming it?

crunchy3d said:
Turbo3 said:
Still does not log if not reading cell pair voltages. @virol, anybody else confirming it?

yes checked out also the 0.45.121:

can conform that there is no logging with unchecked log Voltage cells…..
However the very first time i tried there was a new log file created but with only one logline in it and all the cell readings at 0
I reconnected some time but no mode writing fhurter to that file, then deleted that log file, did a new connect but no mode creation of a log file
when i checked then again the checkbox on of the log voltage cells, a new logfile was created and writen by data again

some communication Times with LELINK2
screen 4 5,5sec without log cell voltages and 6,5sec with
customscreen tires gauges 0,58sec
customscreen BMS gauges 0,25sec
customscreen screen3 0,95sec. BUT VENTILATORSPEED AND AIRCO MODES NOT SHOWING UP...(only shows on bottom line at the right side something that looks like "a seat")

Also remarked that with the 2018 Leaf OFF that there is NO RELAY CLICKING NOISE anymore when starting up leaf spy pro, you can see that there is communication with the LELINK2 onto the leds but there is no update at the values on the screen4

have a nice day

virol said:
However the very first time i tried there was a new log file created but with only one logline in it and all the cell readings at 0
Interesting. I did not get any new file. Even the empty one. Strange.

crunchy3d said:
virol said:
Interesting. I did not get any new file. Even the empty one. Strange.

Only get it one time, was hot able to reproduce it...….
the file holded one logline with all entrys like before, just all voltage cells where at zero value

edit:

when i think further: the created log file could be from the first time i started leaf spy pro because i started with the checkbox for log voltage cells on, and then unchecked it with the setupscreen…...

crunchy3d said:
Turbo3 said:
Seems there was actually missing code so I am not sure how the iOS version worked. Logging without Cell Pair Voltages enabled should now work with test release v0.45.122.

https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.Turbo3.Leaf_Spy_Pro
It works, now. Thank you very much! :)

Hello,

did also a quick test at my 2018 leaf and must conform that logfile writing now works with 0.45.122 with unchecked log voltage cells

did some futher checks on leaf spy pro active and leaf off, the clicking relay noise is still there, my tests before where not ok, because we must wait a minute or so when setting the leaf off, before the clicking begins…… (some Power must leak away i suppose)

have a nice day

Test Version 0.45.123 just uploaded.

- Fixed scaling problem on Battery Temperature Graph (screen 2) when using Centigrade.

- Fixed problem on certain model year Leafs where battery SOC, AHr, Voltage, current and Hx would not be displayed and showed as zero.

Uploaded test version 0.45.124 that fixes a number of bugs put in the previous version one of which caused app to crash.

- Fixed bug that caused app to crash if no Battery Temperature data or Battery Temperature data was cleared. Result of change made to previous version.

- Removed debug code that prevented saving new Battery Temperature data.

- Corrected location where Battery Temperature Graph data is restored from external storage to internal storage.

Here is a test of two full power run on my 2011 Leaf (5 Bars lost) using the BMS custom screen and the special Recording mode that creates a .csv file of the data.

nlxoQK.png

Here is the Internal resistance for the first run.

ib8p9I.png

Resistance from second run.

EmULfP.png

It would have been nice if the app was compatible for earlier users / earlier Leafs already configured, when the upgrades went out.
After finding stuff wasn't working I didn't have time until today to dig through the notes and then come to this forum for more info.
- I used to be able to record charge without having to switch safe mode (2014 SL). Can you make that flashing message on the chart be a 'button' to serve to toggle it?
- My logs changed the last 6 hex digits at the end of the Log and TripChrgLog filenames. When I went through the doc I must have missed the explanation of what that suffix is for.
- I used to be able to log my cells/trip even with the custom screen. Since it doesn't work, I deleted it now. I preferred my screen when getting very low, it showed just the essentials. Gids, Min cell voltage, max-min=maxcelldiff, temps.
- For a while it wasn't exiting after shutting off the car. Its now working at least most of the time, but still failed once after fixing the above items (today).
Thanks!

Back