RapidGate Fix?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveinOlyWA

Ok, so its out in so many places, I have to move it from rumor to reality. Saw video of LEAF in Europe charging at 37 KW while batteries were near 120º which is a HUGE improvement from mine which would have started the charge around 18-20 KW.

So is this "fix" planned for all 40 kwh packs or are the early adopters SOL

If its the latter, when then?

booper said:
Anyone hear anything else on this?

Europe got fix a week or so ago. Statement claimed by ummm, forget his name here claims fix NOT coming to North America based on analysis of charging and lack of complaints.

His Statement;

"HERE IS AN OFFICIAL STATEMENT FROM NISSAN USA ON THIS ISSUE.

I spoke with my PR contact from Nissan USA today, and here is the official statement for NISSAN USA. Yes, there is an update, but it is for European 2018 LEAF owners within a certain manufacturing date ONLY.

Here is the response I received from Nissan this morning:
"Hi Gary – to follow up on our call, the vast majority of our US customers don’t use multiple fast charging procedures in any single day, so they are not affected by the charging safeguard feature on the new LEAF. Regarding the software update in Europe, Nissan is not currently planning to conduct the update in the US. For LEAF customers who expect to consistently use fast charging procedures more than twice per day for extended distance driving, we would suggest they contact their local Nissan dealership for advice on how to get the best out of their LEAF under these exceptional driving scenarios."

I further asked about how Nissan USA arrived at the decision not to offer this change to USA customers, and this was the response:

"the decision not to extend the European SW date to the US was based on actual charging session data that the 2018 LEAF fleet generates, and the repair requests that dealers receive from owners presenting this issue".

Essentially Nissan has data that shows that a very small number of the affected 2018 LEAF universe actually experience this situation, and they have no dealer service data with customers presenting the symptoms of this type of slowdown to be fixed on their cars."

IOW; Nissan has decided we early adopters do not deserve the right to choose. :evil:

There is a petition online to ask Nissan North America to make software update available to Fix #Rapidgate for Early 2018 LEAF Buyers.

https://www.change.org/p/nissan-north-america-fix-rapidgate-for-early-2018-leaf-buyers?j=507380&sfmc_sub=794431786&l=32_HTML&u=66648872&mid=7233052&jb=32305

DaveinOlyWA said:
Saw video of LEAF in Europe charging at 37 KW while batteries were near 120º which is a HUGE improvement from mine which would have started the charge around 18-20 KW.

Nissan loves letting the Europeans "cook" those batteries, right? Let those Euro Leaf batteries feel like they're in Tucson, AZ.
Wonder what the end temp was?

lorenfb said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Saw video of LEAF in Europe charging at 37 KW while batteries were near 120º which is a HUGE improvement from mine which would have started the charge around 18-20 KW.

Nissan loves letting the Europeans "cook" those batteries, right? Let those Euro Leaf batteries feel like they're in Tucson, AZ.
Wonder what the end temp was?

I had probably 3-5 dozen QC events on my 2016 charging at full speed to 80% (that doesn't happen any more!) with pack temps in the 120º range. My pack after 14 months had 29,413 miles, almost 300 QCs and 100% SOH. I don't think I ever hit 130º but definitely remember hitting 128º twice in one day! :)

"Hi Gary – to follow up on our call, the vast majority of our US customers don’t use multiple fast charging procedures in any single day, so they are not affected by the charging safeguard feature on the new LEAF. Regarding the software update in Europe, Nissan is not currently planning to conduct the update in the US. For LEAF customers who expect to consistently use fast charging procedures more than twice per day for extended distance driving, we would suggest they contact their local Nissan dealership for advice on how to get the best out of their LEAF under these exceptional driving scenarios."

So much bullshit there I wouldn't know where to start. Best to just leave the turd in one piece.

retrodog said:
Hi, I'm a representative of the Nissan Corporation. Just a few points:

1. You don't want a "fix" to the "rapidgate" charging rate limit without actively cooling your battery pack, as it would fry your batteries.
2. We will not send you an update to fry your batteries because that would void your warranty.
3. Get a Chevy Volt if you want to take long road trips in your EV.

I hope this helps. Feel free to reach out to me on the message boards any time. However, I don't take phone calls or direct e-mails as there are way too many people who drive EVs and I can't be bothered by all of them.

Disclaimer: I'm not really a representative of Nissan, but if I were... that's what I'd post. And maybe that's why I'm not.

Point 2 is blatantly false - fix provided by the OEM cant void your warranty.

Also, reported for that 1st sentence.

retrodog said:

1. You don't want a "fix" to the "rapidgate" charging rate limit without actively cooling your battery pack, as it would fry your batteries.
2. We will not send you an update to fry your batteries because that would void your warranty.

I hope this helps. Feel free to reach out to me on the message boards any time. However, I don't take phone calls or direct e-mails as there are way too many people who drive EVs and I can't be bothered by all of them.

Disclaimer: I'm not really a representative of Nissan, but if I were... that's what I'd post. And maybe that's why I'm not.

You mean "If you don't live in the EU, we won't" right?

DaveinOlyWA said:
His Statement;

"HERE IS AN OFFICIAL STATEMENT FROM NISSAN USA ON THIS ISSUE.

I spoke with my PR contact from Nissan USA today, and here is the official statement for NISSAN USA. Yes, there is an update, but it is for European 2018 LEAF owners within a certain manufacturing date ONLY.
I further asked about how Nissan USA arrived at the decision not to offer this change to USA customers, and this was the response:

"the decision not to extend the European SW date to the US was based on actual charging session data that the 2018 LEAF fleet generates, and the repair requests that dealers receive from owners presenting this issue".

Essentially Nissan has data that shows that a very small number of the affected 2018 LEAF universe actually experience this situation, and they have no dealer service data with customers presenting the symptoms of this type of slowdown to be fixed on their cars."

IOW; Nissan has decided we early adopters do not deserve the right to choose. :evil:
On this note, it was suggested at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=560395#p560395, that the "last day" to purchase/lease a vehicle that would qualify for NCTC of 7/7/19 might further reduce the % drivers complaining. If so and they don't extend it... that is kinda clever.

retrodog said:

Please edit this with something like an asterisk leading to your statement at the end saying you are NOT a Nissan rep.

LeftieBiker said:
retrodog said:

Please edit this with something like an asterisk leading to your statement at the end saying you are NOT a Nissan rep.
Oops, I completely missed that. Thanks for the catch.

Too late. Somebody already deleted it. Well I almost always add a disclaimer. I guess I got distracted in the middle of this one. So sorry.

Another mod must have deleted it. There was a "report" attached to it complaining about the lack of a disclaimer. I would have just added the asterisk. Sorry.

I can't help but mildly troll, in my most recent roadtrip, I was charging at 147kW for a period of time before it scaled back to 70kW and then when I hit 80% it was down to 25kW. :lol:

Something I could never have in my Leaf, as it doesn't have active thermal management... Good thing I traded it in. Wanting a Leaf to fast charge more than once is like wanting my Chevy Volt to go 300mi on electric only like I can do on my Model 3...

I just got the update installed on my 2018 LEAF. Dealer's receipt states that "customer is requesting we complete update for battery NTB19056"

It is not a recall, so you have to ask for it by name (at least this was the case at my dealership).

I will report shortly after I had a chance to do a QC. At these temperatures even my first QC is normally limited, so we shall see.

tcherniaev said:
I just got the update installed on my 2018 LEAF. Dealer's receipt states that "customer is requesting we complete update for battery NTB19056"

It is not a recall, so you have to ask for it by name (at least this was the case at my dealership).

I will report shortly after I had a chance to do a QC. At these temperatures even my first QC is normally limited, so we shall see.

Definitely not a recall and lets be honest; where did you hear about this update? From Nissan?? LOL!!

In fact, most will find their service advisor completely clueless about this update so have reference numbers in hand when you call

tcherniaev said:

I posted about the "fix" here for Leafs in North America:
https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29902

Nissan gives out the "fix" if customers complain about quick charging.

Finally tested "the fix". It does improve charging some, but you still get limited pretty severely. I think they just moved up the curve. In the past, being in a hot climate, I would get limited on my first charge to something like 30kw, and down to 15kw or less on subsequent charges. Now I get 40 or even 47kw on the first charge, then mid to hight 20s on the second charge.

tcherniaev said:
Finally tested "the fix". It does improve charging some, but you still get limited pretty severely. I think they just moved up the curve. In the past, being in a hot climate, I would get limited on my first charge to something like 30kw, and down to 15kw or less on subsequent charges. Now I get 40 or even 47kw on the first charge, then mid to hight 20s on the second charge.

Thanks for posting that info.

Back