Do the New Leafs Have Charge Limit Settings?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coupedncal

I have a 2017 SV and I certainly do not have the option to stop charging at less than 100% from the car. I have the option to remotely shut down charging on my smart charger but I miss not having this feature built into my car. Most other cars like Tesla and VW offer this capability.

I am looking to lease another car as my current lease runs out soon. Question is has that option now added to the new 2019 model Leafs? I really hope that is the case otherwise I will strongly look at other brands to replace my Leaf.

coupedncal said:
I have a 2017 SV and I certainly do not have the option to stop charging at less than 100% from the car. I have the option to remotely shut down charging on my smart charger but I miss not having this feature built into my car. Most other cars like Tesla and VW offer this capability.

I am looking to lease another car as my current lease runs out soon. Question is has that option now added to the new 2019 model Leafs? I really hope that is the case otherwise I will strongly look at other brands to replace my Leaf.

Nope. Still can’t set anything less than 100%.

There was a bogus marketing reason they gave at the time of 24kWh battery time for not having this feature but now things have changed and with the plus model out, it seems this feature should now get added. Do they not want the battery to last longer? I really don't understand their mindset on this issue.

smkettner said:
Since you are leasing.... why worry about it? Just charge 100% and get on with your day.

As a rule, I take care of my leased cars as if I own it. This way, I make sure the next buyer gets a product that has not been abused. I just sleep better at night this way.

coupedncal said:
smkettner said:
Since you are leasing.... why worry about it? Just charge 100% and get on with your day.

As a rule, I take care of my leased cars as if I own it. This way, I make sure the next buyer gets a product that has not been abused. I just sleep better at night this way.
+1
Even though I use a company vehicle during the day, I still treat it like I own it not like a stole it :)

coupedncal said:
I can think of many reasons to avoid a LEAF but yours
is not one of them.
A programmable $500 EVSE like the Juice does most of what you want..

Jerryr said:
coupedncal said:

Nope. Still can’t set anything less than 100%.
However, there are ways to set the built-in charge timer so that an incomplete charge is achieved. In my case, the goal is @ 80% which is achieved by setting the timer to complete roughly 3 hours after my planned departure time.

[/quote]
However, there are ways to set the built-in charge timer so that an incomplete charge is achieved. In my case, the goal is @ 80% which is achieved by setting the timer to complete roughly 3 hours after my planned departure time.[/quote]

This is really a brilliant workaround. Bravo for thinking though this.

coupedncal said:
This is the advice I also give but I suggest setting the timer ~ 90 minutes later than departure. The timing varies by the charge rate.

SageBrush said:
coupedncal said:
....The timing varies by the charge rate.
and also the SOC % the battery is starting at and what SOC% you'd like to stop at. IOW it's kind of a crap shoot but if you do the same thing regularly it should be quite easy to come up with a routine and you should be able to get quite close to the SOC % you want. Oh temperatures also can affect charge rate, well below 0 temps anyway and also if you preheat your car, temperatures can have a pretty big effect on preheating, in my area preheating can use up about 4kwh just for the preheat function, leaving just 1.6kwh for charging the battery if you have a Leaf with the upgraded charger and a 6.6kwh EVSE, anything less than 4kwh and you'll actually lose charge while preheating :(

jjeff said:
SageBrush said:
coupedncal said:
and also the SOC % the battery is starting at and what SOC% you'd like to stop at. IOW it's kind of a crap shoot but if you do the same thing regularly it should be quite easy to come up with a routine and you should be able to get quite close to the SOC % you want. Oh temperatures also can affect charge rate, well below 0 temps anyway and also if you preheat your car, temperatures can have a pretty big effect on preheating, in my area preheating can use up about 4kwh just for the preheat function, leaving just 1.6kwh for charging the battery if you have a Leaf with the upgraded charger and a 6.6kwh EVSE, anything less than 4kwh and you'll actually lose charge while preheating :(
I also set the climate control timer to match my departure time. The timers work independently. I’m using a Clipper Creek HCS40 L2 so at full 6.6KW. Haven’t found the exact % charge where power begins steeping down, however they seem to work ok together for enough power for a reliable charge level @ 80-85%.

jjeff said:
SageBrush said:
coupedncal said:
and also the SOC % the battery is starting at and what SOC% you'd like to stop at.(
Not in this case since the taper and balancing happen in the SoC range that is being avoided

From what I have read, battery degradation is a function of how long it sits fully charged. Based on that, I also use a charge timer, but need the full charge for my 3x / week commute. It sits at 100% maybe an hour or two, then I drain it on the way to work. When I am not driving to work, I pull the plug several hours early (when I leave for my morning jog), so that it never gets to 100%.

But then again, it would be better to let the software handle this, if that feature was available.

I've found that on my 2018 SV, a 2 hour charge gives me ~ 32% when plugged into a Lvl 2. On Lvl 1 I was getting about 25% in 8 hours.

So right now I have my charge timer set every night from 3 am to 5am, 2 hours, and then whenever I get down to around 50% I plug it in that night and get back up to around 82%. But I'm only burning through about 8 to 10% per day. 600 miles last month.

I use the charge timer for charging in the middle of the night. I have the Level 2 Nissan EVSE. It charges at about 17% per hour. Let's say I have 25% battery left and I want it to charge to 80%. 80% - 25% = 55%. 55%/17% = 3.23 hours. So I set my timer to start at 2:00AM and end at 5:10AM. I like to round down rather than up so it won't go over 80%.

Triggerhappy007 said:
I use the charge timer for charging in the middle of the night. I have the Level 2 Nissan EVSE. It charges at about 17% per hour. Let's say I have 25% battery left and I want it to charge to 80%. 80% - 25% = 55%. 55%/17% = 3.23 hours. So I set my timer to start at 2:00AM and end at 5:10AM. I like to round down rather than up so it won't go over 80%.

Yes, it's that simple!

Back