Volvo XC40 PHEV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat

I test drove the Volvo XC60 PHEV recently. It had been at the top of my list for my next car, but I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. It seemed too large and the dash/controls layout seemed too confusing. I read that the controls require "a steep learning curve." I like the size and look of the XC40, but so far there is no PHEV and I really want to drive in EV mode as much as possible. It was rumored to be coming out in the US this year, but the dealer didn't know when. I read somewhere it may not arrive until 2020. If anybody has heard anything more about this model, please post.

It likely has a Chinese-made turbocharged four that I suspect won't be extremely long-lived. When the 140 series came out back in '67 or so the B20 motors were over-stressed and tended to need rebuilds at less than 100K miles even though they were just enlarged versions of the bulletproof B18. I think that using a turbocharged four of questionable provenance isn't a good idea for long life.

Towards the end of this XC-40 EV thread is some talk about the PHEV version....
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26085&p=553352#p553352
Also here:
https://insideevs.com/news/343715/volvo-xc40-pure-electric-version-coming-this-year/

From the above link:

Volvo’s XC40, the 2018 European Car of the Year, will be electrified later this year through the T5 Twin Engine version (pictured here) combining a 1.5-liter gasoline engine with an electric motor, a lithium-ion 9.7-kWh battery, and a seven-speed automatic transmission. The three-cylinder combustion engine is rated at 180 horsepower and works together with the electric motor developing 82 hp for a combined output of 262 hp. With a generous 313 pound-feet (425 Newton-meters) of torque on tap, the XC40 plug-in hybrid runs to 62 mph (100 kph) in a decent 7.3 seconds and maxes out at (205 kph). Running solely on electric juice, the crossover can cover 34 miles (54 kilometers).

Back