2013-2014 bar losers and capacity losses

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking back at my LeafSpy log, I see that in the summer of 2017 the difference between my SOH and Hx was consistently 2% to 3%, last winter it was reliably at 4%, and over the last few weeks it has been steady at 5% to occasionally 6%. Is this typical? Is the increasing difference diagnostic of anything, or do you think it's just a feature of the algorithm?

My latest readings are:
ODO 50999
AHr 54.5
SOH 83.3% (lowest fluctuation ever was 82.8% a couple of weeks ago)
Hx 77.8%

Lost bar 12 over a year ago. I guess I have another year before I need to worry about bar 11 dropping?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/nissan.leaf.owners.group/permalink/2229852210418941/ has a pointer to a 7 bar '13 Leaf at 60.5K miles. Unknown build month. Guy apparently wasn't aware it was down to this point until now.

I wonder if he hit 8 bars before his capacity warranty expired but his wife didn't let him know.

For a new post-April 2013 car, when freshly delivered to the dealer, what was the Ahr capacity shown by LeafSpy? I see "63 Ahr" on the first page of this thread. Is that the consensus?

Sorry I can't remember where to look up this fact.

BuckMkII said:
Looking back at my LeafSpy log, I see that in the summer of 2017 the difference between my SOH and Hx was consistently 2% to 3%, last winter it was reliably at 4%, and over the last few weeks it has been steady at 5% to occasionally 6%. Is this typical? Is the increasing difference diagnostic of anything, or do you think it's just a feature of the algorithm?

My latest readings are:
ODO 50999
AHr 54.5
SOH 83.3% (lowest fluctuation ever was 82.8% a couple of weeks ago)
Hx 77.8%

Lost bar 12 over a year ago. I guess I have another year before I need to worry about bar 11 dropping?

It depends, sounds like your car survived this summer just fine, so I think you won't have to worry about dropping another bar until next summer. My case is different though, I was at 54 AHr back in March of this year and by August I lost the 11th bar with 49 AHr. Car is garaged but parked outside at work, so as long as you keep the car cool you should be fine.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/seattlenissanleaf/permalink/2370059656358791/ in the mild Pacific NW made it to 100K miles with all 12 bars. His build month was 9/2013 and his SOH is 92.42% and Hx is 90.53%. He does talk about his SOH rising as a result of DC FCing, so it might be a bit inflated.

WetEV said:
Just have to make it look as bad as you can, eh Sage?
Not intended to be negative. How would you say this fact ?

As an aside, when I want to relay my negative opinions I say things like "Nissan customer service is contemptible" or "the LEAF battery sucks in warm or hotter climates."

SageBrush said:
WetEV said:

As an aside, when I want to relay my negative opinions I say things like "Nissan customer service is contemptible" or "the LEAF battery sucks in warm or hotter climates."

Even Nissan LEAF batteries not yet made. Spread that FUD, thick and wide.

WetEV said:
SageBrush said:
WetEV said:

Please cut that out. You can both give your opinions here. What you both can't do is package them with regular angry hyperbole or insults.

LeftieBiker said:
WetEV said:
SageBrush said:

Please cut that out. You can both give your opinions here. What you both can't do is package them with regular angry hyperbole or insults.

Ah, you noticed.

Good for the goose is good for the gander.

SageBrush said:
BuckMkII said:
I guess I have another year before I need to worry about bar 11 dropping?
Bar #11 is ~ 0.4x the 'width' of bar #12
Yes, I'm aware that bar #1 is bigger than all the others.

Our unusually chilly February was good for the health algorithm! ;) A week ago my mileage was 54,149, Ahr 55.7, SOH 85.1 and Hx 80.6. Temperatures have finally returned to normal and the Hx dipped below 79 yesterday and SOH is down one unit, too, as reality sets in. If I get a chance to charge to 100% and do a 50 mile drive on the weekend, maybe it will bounce back a little. I always enjoy gaming the algorithm...

Mid-August would be the second anniversary of the first bar dropping, and I feel somewhat reasonable in hoping that the next bar won't drop before then. If the little bars last two years each, that would just about fulfill my expectations for the depreciation of this car. Not impressive, not horrifying. :mrgreen:

My latest stats from my 2013 MY. Manufactured 2013 Feb. You could say I got unlucky. The good news is no single cell is looking terrible, and I only need it for all local (less than 15 miles) errands.

https://imgur.com/a/FlX1d4G

SOH: 61.1 pct
AHr: 39.93
Odo: 48,778
Hx: 53.12 pct
QC: 30
L2: 3887

Vehicle was always driven in NC. I bought it used in May 2015.

I'm just hoping when Nissan can offer rebuilt options like they do for Japan here in USA. Or I'll trade this in when a affordable EV SUV arrives...

Came across https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/ctd/d/napa-2013-nissan-leaf-fwd-cayenne-red/6880017678.html. From the pics, it's a 5 bar loser at ~54.5K miles for a high $6498 considering it's an S trim w/that many bars down.

Found another 5 bar loser at https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/d/san-leandro-2013-nissan-leaf-electric/6870247667.html. The price is a comical $6988 for an S trim.

I wonder if either of these hit 9 bars before the capacity warranty expired but the previous driver was clueless/didn't care.

I just wanted to report in that last night I lost my first bar after owning the car and driving it HARD (2 middle school kids and owning a business) for almost five years. I bought the LEAF in October of 2014 and have put a ton of miles on it. I live in Ohio and supercharge occasionally when I'm having a high mileage day.
I'm sad to lose a bar, but impressed that it hasn't happened until now.

And you saved $4,285 in gas and $750 in oil changes (assuming $2/gal and 35mpg if you bought an ICE).

Nicely done!

(Didn't count reduced maintenance, increased fun or electricity costs, which were likely around $1500)

Can this be merged into http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=18269?

It would be out of control if everyone started a new thread every time they lost a capacity bar even their 1st one.

Back