Rapidgate on the 62 kWh Leaf Plus?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OrientExpress said:
I am in the process of putting up a story on a 500 mile trip I took in a LEAF Plus from San Jost to Tahoe and back, and will post the link when it is done. I also charged it using the EVGo 85kW (100 peak) chargers.

The bottom line is that the battery does not seem to have any heat sensitivity or build up. Once the battery warms up to the mid-point on the temperature gauge, it stays there, even after running the car hard, then quick charging. On average with the faster chargers on shared sources the car would charge at about 58 kW and on the 50 kW chargers would charge at about 45 kW.

2019%20leaf%20temp.jpg

This photo is after a 85kW (57kW) charge session, and previous to that lots of very fast freeway driving.

Based on my use of LeafSpy and the temp bar displayed, that temp is about 105 -110F, temp delta over ambient 35-40F.

lorenfb said:
Based on my use of LeafSpy and the temp bar displayed, that temp is about 105 -110F.

That's probably reasonable. Mid point is usually about 85F? But what is for sure the operational heat characteristics for the 2019 62kWh battery are very different from the 2018 40kWh battery.

lorenfb said:
After a 30 minute QC (avg power 30 kW) on my 2019 40 kWh Leaf, the battery temp reached 100F, ambient of 75F. After driving for about 45 minutes at 35 - 40, the battery temp was at 80F. So based on that QC and driving at speeds greater than 50 -55 while
monitoring the Leaf's battery temp, my view is to only have one QC per day (or at best none), and limit my speed. My experience
is that any speeds greater than 50-55 for lengthy periods results in undesirable battery temps

What's your definition of lengthy?

OrientExpress said:
lorenfb said:
Based on my use of LeafSpy and the temp bar displayed, that temp is about 105 -110F.

That's probably reasonable. Mid point is usually about 85F? But what is for sure the operational heat characteristics for the 2019 62kWh battery are very different from the 2018 40kWh battery.

So your implication is that the 62 kWh Leaf battery can sustain higher battery temps without affecting battery degradation, right?
Luckily my 2013 Leaf's battery never reached temps that exceeded 95F, or its degradation probably would be worse than it is.

HerdingElectrons said:
lorenfb said:
After a 30 minute QC (avg power 30 kW) on my 2019 40 kWh Leaf, the battery temp reached 100F, ambient of 75F. After driving for about 45 minutes at 35 - 40, the battery temp was at 80F. So based on that QC and driving at speeds greater than 50 -55 while
monitoring the Leaf's battery temp, my view is to only have one QC per day (or at best none), and limit my speed. My experience
is that any speeds greater than 50-55 for lengthy periods results in undesirable battery temps

What's your definition of lengthy?

Based on my experience with 40 kWh Leaf's battery, 45 minutes to and hour. Use LeafSpy and do a test yourself, i.e. drive at
70-75 for a hour and then check the battery temp with LeafSpy.

lorenfb said:
So your implication is that the 62 kWh Leaf battery can sustain higher battery temps without affecting battery degradation, right?

There are certainly different operational characteristics of both the '18 40 kWh and '19 62 kWh battery from the batteries from earlier years. I would be cautious of applying the accepted behavior and consequences of those earlier batteries to these newer batteries until there is enough experience with the newer batteries to contrast and compare.

What I'm interested to see if the heating of the 2018 40 kWh batteries also apply to the 2019 40 kWh batteries.

I wonder if Nissan may just know a bit more about this stuff than those still using 2011 as their baseline for passively managed battery knowledge?

OrientExpress said:
I wonder if Nissan may just know a bit more about this stuff than those still using 2011 as their baseline for passively managed battery knowledge?

I want a battery temperature read out.

I also want control over the maximum charge level, as I live on a hill and want regeneration.

I'm the customer, I'm right.

My ICE has a digital temperature readout for the engine coolant. Why doesn't a BEV, again?

WetEV said:
My ICE has a digital temperature readout for the engine coolant. Why doesn't a BEV, again?

The temp gauge on my ICE car shows the same reading between about 80C and 110C (ie, straight up in the middle of the needle range). I've been told it's like this so that the vast majority of folks who have no idea that an ICE engine will run hotter under heavier loads don't freak out when the temp gauge moves. By the time it actually gets off the 'normal' reading something is usually really wrong and it will shoot up to the red zone in a matter of seconds.

goldbrick said:
WetEV said:

The temp gauge on my ICE car shows the same reading between about 80C and 110C (ie, straight up in the middle of the needle range). I've been told it's like this so that the vast majority of folks who have no idea that an ICE engine will run hotter under heavier loads don't freak out when the temp gauge moves. By the time it actually gets off the 'normal' reading something is usually really wrong and it will shoot up to the red zone in a matter of seconds.

Useless. Heavy loads like towing something big up a pass, you need to know, before the idiot light comes on. On a cold day, knowing about when the heat is going to start cleaning the windows is nice.

OrientExpress said:
They do for sure. Just like they have for preceding models. The user manual, however, does not reflect that knowledge, it reflects the car warranty. So long as you do not mind the car having lost 35% of battery capacity in about 8 years you can follow Nissan owner advice implicitly.

lorenfb said:
Based on my experience with 40 kWh Leaf's battery, 45 minutes to and hour. Use LeafSpy and do a test yourself, i.e. drive at
70-75 for a hour and then check the battery temp with LeafSpy.

Thanks, and I concur with your assessment.

I still fully maintain that the 40kwh Leaf should strictly be used as a local car for 90% of drivers for best results.

The 62kwh has 57% more usable capacity so it handles high speed loads much better due to the lower per cell C rate due to the extra number of cells even when the heavier pack is factored in because maintaining highway speed makes that extra weight less of a factor.

Back