2019 "60 kWh" Leaf e-Plus

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is also the difference between actual and usable to consider.

Remember the 24/30 kwh packs had LBW at 48 GIDs, VLBW at 24 GIDs?

Well the 40 kwh pack does VLBW at 48 GIDs so its normal to think that VLBW on the 62 is going to go up as well. I get what Nissan is doing but its really kinda stupid. All we get is "I only get 130 miles from my LEAF" rants. Well, the reality is 20 miles is hidden you have that full range but Nissan does not allow you to use it comfortably.

TBT; not spending the money for LEAF Spy is simply beyond me. I can't believe people choose to drive blind over a few dollars.

Its long, but a great video, showing that 5 miles per kWh is pretty achievable still, though I am curious what his top speeds were for the drive. Lots of altitude climb, which is also a good sign on overall efficiency potential.

The reserve is to reduce the number of roadside assistance calls. Similar to when you get the red light on an old ICE car, you really still have 2 gallons left, enough to push 30-40 miles carefully.

Getting excited about my May delivery.

I bought an SL plus the other day, trading in my 2018 SV. So far I can say the new leaf plus is tremendously better in lots of ways. The first one being I seem to get better miles per kw averaging 3.8 to 4 in most scenarios. I believe this may have something to do with more available power from the motor. Second the new infotainment center looks crisp and operates way faster. Nissan also added a new range display map that actually calculates based on speed and terrain, I would actually say it’s pessimistic, and I’ve definitely beat its guess on range. Another thing they added too the infotainment is album art, and way better maps, both of which are a big deal too me. I got to take the car on a trip to Boise recently from South Jordan, Utah(Salt Lake), and can say it did fairly well. I was pretty nervous on the first leg of the trip only going 60mph from Ogden, Utah to Heyburn Idaho, due too the giant hills. I then charged at electrify America, at 50kw the entire time, until it got over 85% and it cost me $16.88 to go form 19% to 89%. I then drove 70mph from Heyburn, Idaho to Mountain Home, Idaho averaging 3.8miles per kw. I then charged in Mountain Home at electrify America costing me $4.35 and adding about 60miles. I could have probably made it all the way too Boise from Heyburn, but I was scared as I hadn’t tested the car, and it was pretty cold outside so I needed heat. The car did pretty well considering their was rain and a bit of cold the whole way. One thing I did notice though is the guess o meter is complete garbage, and I had to rely on the battery percentage to really know if I was going to make it. My guess o meter kept changing by plus or minus 40miles really upping my range anxiety. I paid $38,000 for the sl plus model through so I am not too upset with the performance as after tax credit it will only be $30500 which is great for the features and performance. I thought about a model 3 instead, but sat in one and hated the lack of things that are basic in other cars. The model s on the other hand was really nice, but out of my budget. Overall I would say the leaf plus models are really pretty good for the money and you could do worse.

stutech said:
I paid $38,000 for the sl plus model

That's a great price, since your sticker price was $44K+, right? That $38K price is the non-Plus SL sticker price here in SoCal.

Great to hear that the SL plus is working out for you, and I'm impressed by the deal you got. Did you have to haggle much or was that the upfront offer?

I have a '18 SL, and am getting an '19 SL-plus on Friday to evaluate for a week. We have 100 kW DCFCs a few miles from the house, so I'm excited to see what the new LEAF will actually charge to with the more powerful charger. I'm going to be taking it up from the bay area to Tahoe and back, and the car will be loaded with two additional passengers and their luggage, so it should be an interesting trip.

During you trip did you notice what the battery temps were as you recharged?

stutech said:
I bought an SL plus the other day, trading in my 2018 SV. So far I can say the new leaf plus is tremendously better in lots of ways.

Definitely agree with that --- it’s an amazing car.
I’ve had my SL Plus a few weeks now and like it better every time I drive it.

I gave my 2016 Leaf to my Grandson – he loves it, wish I’d had a car like that in High School.
In the 3 years I drove the 2016, I could not see any mileage degradation, probably because the battery temps here never approached a temperature where a TMS cooling system would have ever turned on.

One thing to note, my SL Plus was delivered with only 35 -36 psi tire pressure and I drove it like that for about 500 miles. Then I upped it to 42 psi which gave a very noticeable range increase of about 0.4 miles/kwh or about 25 more miles on a full charge. Great car!

lorenfb said:
stutech said:
I paid $38,000 for the sl plus model

That's a great price, since your sticker price was $44K+, right? That $38K price is the non-Plus SL sticker price here in SoCal.

Yes MSRP was $44k, but the dealer had a deal with my local utility Rocky Mountain power that knocked the price down $3500 alone, plus other Nissan rebates I got.

OrientExpress said:
Great to hear that the SL plus is working out for you, and I'm impressed by the deal you got. Did you have to haggle much or was that the upfront offer?

I have a '18 SL, and am getting an '19 SL-plus on Friday to evaluate for a week. We have 100 kW DCFCs a few miles from the house, so I'm excited to see what the new LEAF will actually charge to with the more powerful charger. I'm going to be taking it up from the bay area to Tahoe and back, and the car will be loaded with two additional passengers and their luggage, so it should be an interesting trip.

During you trip did you notice what the battery temps were as you recharged?

That was the deal upfront, I think my dealer might get some incentive from Nissan to sell more or something as they were super eager to do anything to get me in it. I don't know exact temps, but it never went much above the exact center of the gauge the whole time. It also cooled back down to the center as I drove. The ambient outside temp was about 48F - 54F the entire time. I also quick charged before I left home, as I had forgotten to plug in the night before, so even after the 3rd charge it was still doing well. Compared to my 2018 SV temps when charging it hardly heats up at all. It will be interesting to see what happens in hot summer weather though.

leaf16 said:
stutech said:
I bought an SL plus the other day, trading in my 2018 SV. So far I can say the new leaf plus is tremendously better in lots of ways.

Definitely agree with that --- it’s an amazing car.
I’ve had my SL Plus a few weeks now and like it better every time I drive it.

I gave my 2016 Leaf to my Grandson – he loves it, wish I’d had a car like that in High School.
In the 3 years I drove the 2016, I could not see any mileage degradation, probably because the battery temps here never approached a temperature where a TMS cooling system would have ever turned on.

One thing to note, my SL Plus was delivered with only 35 -36 psi tire pressure and I drove it like that for about 500 miles. Then I upped it to 42 psi which gave a very noticeable range increase of about 0.4 miles/kwh or about 25 more miles on a full charge. Great car!

Hey. Does the Eplus charge at 6.6 or 7.7. KW

Thanks in advance.

John.

stutech said:
I bought an SL plus the other day, trading in my 2018 SV. So far I can say the new leaf plus is tremendously better in lots of ways. The first one being I seem to get better miles per kw averaging 3.8 to 4 in most scenarios. I believe this may have something to do with more available power from the motor. Second the new infotainment center looks crisp and operates way faster. Nissan also added a new range display map that actually calculates based on speed and terrain, I would actually say it’s pessimistic, and I’ve definitely beat its guess on range. Another thing they added too the infotainment is album art, and way better maps, both of which are a big deal too me. I got to take the car on a trip to Boise recently from South Jordan, Utah(Salt Lake), and can say it did fairly well. I was pretty nervous on the first leg of the trip only going 60mph from Ogden, Utah to Heyburn Idaho, due too the giant hills. I then charged at electrify America, at 50kw the entire time, until it got over 85% and it cost me $16.88 to go form 19% to 89%. I then drove 70mph from Heyburn, Idaho to Mountain Home, Idaho averaging 3.8miles per kw. I then charged in Mountain Home at electrify America costing me $4.35 and adding about 60miles. I could have probably made it all the way too Boise from Heyburn, but I was scared as I hadn’t tested the car, and it was pretty cold outside so I needed heat. The car did pretty well considering their was rain and a bit of cold the whole way. One thing I did notice though is the guess o meter is complete garbage, and I had to rely on the battery percentage to really know if I was going to make it. My guess o meter kept changing by plus or minus 40miles really upping my range anxiety. I paid $38,000 for the sl plus model through so I am not too upset with the performance as after tax credit it will only be $30500 which is great for the features and performance. I thought about a model 3 instead, but sat in one and hated the lack of things that are basic in other cars. The model s on the other hand was really nice, but out of my budget. Overall I would say the leaf plus models are really pretty good for the money and you could do worse.

How did you determine charging speed? do you have LEAF Spy or did you simply use Nissan dash?

DaveinOlyWA said:
stutech said:

How did you determine charging speed? do you have LEAF Spy or did you simply use Nissan dash?

I used a combination of the dash charging rate indicated, and leaf spy pro. The Nissan Leaf dash seems to be fairly accurate, although a bit fuzzy compared to doing the calculation manually with the total time and inputed kw to get an average charging rate.

stutech said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
stutech said:

I used a combination of the dash charging rate indicated, and leaf spy pro. The Nissan Leaf dash seems to be fairly accurate, although a bit fuzzy compared to doing the calculation manually with the total time and inputed kw to get an average charging rate.

Dash is accurate for me as well but in whole numbers. Realize LEAF Spy does not show charge rate. It only shows power going to the battery. Why is this different? Because there is always systems running that deduct from the charge rate which is why LEAF Spy will always read a bit lower than the dash.

So you saw nothing higher than 50 KW? Have you tried EVGO? "Some" run faster than 50 KW.

I’ve tried all the chargers near me, and everywhere on a few trips, and have yet too find one over 50kw. I think the nearest one too me is the worlds largest thermometer in Baler, California. EVgo kind of sucks here in terms of equip, as it’s mostly dated. I’m hoping electrify America turns on the 100kw chademo soon, but I’ve read even their ccs is software limited at this time. Would be really awesome if someone made a ccs to chademo adaptor, then I could probably find a way to test 100kw charging.

We finally let our e-Plus Leaf get down to a 20% charge, so I plugged in LeafSpy. With the dash reporting 20%, LeafSpy says 29.8% and 17.9kWh remaining. So, it still hides at least 10% of the battery capacity just like the 40kWh version.

stutech said:
Would be really awesome if someone made a ccs to chademo adaptor, then I could probably find a way to test 100kw charging.

Then you could really "cook" the battery fast over a few years.

Astros said:
We finally let our e-Plus Leaf get down to a 20% charge, so I plugged in LeafSpy. With the dash reporting 20%, LeafSpy says 29.8% and 17.9kWh remaining. So, it still hides at least 10% of the battery capacity just like the 40kWh version.

can you chart some voltages over SOC? eg; 360 volts @ 50%, 375 volts @ 60%, etc.?

Kieran973 said:
Thanks. I've just been searching on the Nissan USA site since cars.com, autotrader, etc. don't seem to distinguish the 40 kWh from the 62 kWh Leafs. Though I just checked cargurus and they've added SV Plus and and SL Plus as searchable trims.

I have not read through the latest posts so maybe you figured this out already. You have to look at the VIN. A “B” in the fourth character of VIN indicates the car you are looking at is a Leaf Plus.

stutech said:
I bought an SL plus the other day, trading in my 2018 SV.

I also traded in my 2018 SV (w/ tech and weather pkg) for a SL Plus last week. I also paid $38K for the SL. Here in Maryland, we have the utility rebate ($2,500 BGE) and state tax credit ($3,000) available so the whole transaction costs me under $6,000 net out of pocket. ($22K on trade)

If you add future trade/sales value of the 2 models that brings it down even more.

Hooked up LeafSpy and here are some baseline numbers, I want to track things over time but need to learn the app more.

odo = 114
Ahr = 175.54
SOH = 99.51% 388.30V
Hx = 99.64%
664 GIDs

Astros said:
Thank you for reporting this back. Sad to hear Nissan has chosen to have that much of capacity still hidden. The actual range on the GOM could be substantial higher.

Back