Nissan Connect EV (Carwings) having problems?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Problems for me just with battery readout and being able to start heater. App still reads things like recent trip data ... seems very odd that trip data is being uploaded, and then read by the app, but no battery info.

gillianj59 said:
:roll: Tweet from Nissan
Hi, recently, we made a changes to website & APP protocols that caused unexpected disruption in access to the EV APP and intermittent login failures. We are currently working on resolving this and want to apologise to our customers for any inconvenience. ^AL

Has this been fixed? I have not had any problems with the app until this week. My Leaf (2015 SL) was off for three weeks. I understand that a "14 day off" feature is triggered when this happens. I returned last week, drove the Leaf on each day since.

The App (version 6.3.3) which has been working perfectly, has several sections: the part that reports the battery charge level and status; the part that manages turning on and off climate when the vehicle is plugged in; and the part that reports daily driving stats.

Since I returned, the daily driving stats have been updating just fine. I can see the number of trips each day, the distance, the KWh used, etc. However, I cannot access battery charge level, tell if it is charging or not, or turn on the climate controls.

I have confirmed that the TCU is communicating. First, the voice tells me when it is 'connecting to center.' It also updates charging locations, and is able to receive destinations sent from Google Maps. It also reports to the 'center' my trip information, which is accurately displayed in the app. So I have reliable communication with the TCU.

It is just the battery status information, and the climate control capability, which is not working.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the (Android Ap); no change.

Any ideas?

I did not receive the charge complete notification this morning and was not able to start climate control or check status (first problem since modem replacement). I was unable to log in and error message came back quickly implying car was in weak cellular area. I suspected server issues so did not make any changes. I just tried now and was able to log in without delay. Status update came back followed by email notification so their servers are working again.

VirginiaBurbs said:
gillianj59 said:
:roll: Tweet from Nissan
Hi, recently, we made a changes to website & APP protocols that caused unexpected disruption in access to the EV APP and intermittent login failures. We are currently working on resolving this and want to apologise to our customers for any inconvenience. ^AL

Has this been fixed? I have not had any problems with the app until this week. My Leaf (2015 SL) was off for three weeks. I understand that a "14 day off" feature is triggered when this happens. I returned last week, drove the Leaf on each day since.

The App (version 6.3.3) which has been working perfectly, has several sections: the part that reports the battery charge level and status; the part that manages turning on and off climate when the vehicle is plugged in; and the part that reports daily driving stats.

Since I returned, the daily driving stats have been updating just fine. I can see the number of trips each day, the distance, the KWh used, etc. However, I cannot access battery charge level, tell if it is charging or not, or turn on the climate controls.

I have confirmed that the TCU is communicating. First, the voice tells me when it is 'connecting to center.' It also updates charging locations, and is able to receive destinations sent from Google Maps. It also reports to the 'center' my trip information, which is accurately displayed in the app. So I have reliable communication with the TCU.

It is just the battery status information, and the climate control capability, which is not working.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the (Android Ap); no change.

Any ideas?

VirginiaBurbs - I've got the exact same symptoms:

Car transmits all the relevant data back to Nissan...daily driving metrics, etc.
Sends a "Charge complete" text...only other texts relate to communication failure when I try sending a command.
Doesn't respond to any queries or climate control commands...no receive function apparently.

I'm going to try pulling F34 today to see what happens.

Hi all, I had my first communication issue today since TCU replacement about a month ago. After calling in to EV services and going through the login and logout and update stations procedures, we were successful in regaining communications. Customer rep said if lack of communications continues then the vehicle may need to go into Nissan for further diagnosis.

Thanks,

Mark

This is my first time posting. I purchased my 2017 Leaf SL on January 7th. I've had problems with the NissanConnect EV & Services app since I got the car. I bought it from a private seller and he swore by it. Said he used it everyday. My first issues were just getting it connected. It took 2 or 3 calls to the Nissan Customer Service line to get it synced. I didn't even realize at first that there was a login you needed for the actual car. So I saved that. It's come in handy too because it seems to disconnect every time I use a different charger.

There is an L2 I use at my work and I trickle charge at home. Though I am trying to not charge too much at home because I'm trying to limit the amount of charges I do since the car has some miles on it and the battery just went down another few tenths in it's SOH to 84.89%. I live in Utah, about 15 miles outside SLC. I actually have AT&T as my phone service and my house is a dead zone for them. I think my whole town is. So if Nissan uses AT&T I could see that causing problems.

I haven't used the climate control much because A. it only seems to work sometimes, B. I don't have it plugged in over night and from what I understand it needs to be plugged in to work. It's not worth it to me to go outside in the morning, plug it, just to turn on the heat. The car heats up rather fast on it's on. That's not to say there aren't times where I wouldn't mind using it. Also, I noticed someone mentioned about trip records. I do not see that option anywhere on the app. That is something I'd definitely like to have. Nevermind, just found it. Nothing is saved. Problem because of all my connection issues.

So, my biggest issue occurred yesterday. I had not used a DC fast charger yet and the Nissan dealer near me has one for free to use so I went over there to try it out. Couldn't get it to charge. The previous owner only used it twice in 3 years so this was only the third time it'd be plugged in into a DC fast charger in it's life so I was afraid something was wrong. But I took it to another place and it charged fine. However, in between I went home and needed to charge a little and once plugged in I couldn't get the app to connect. Kept getting a status from a week ago. Went to the car. It was not logged in. Which as I said is something it does whenever I charge at a new location. Put the info in. Went back into the house. Still can't connect to the app. Tried a few more times and every time it would connect. It would say your account is activated. But then the login would immediately disappear and I'd have to login again. But still couldn't connect to the app. Finally had to call Nissan support again. He reset my password. Tried that. It connected long enough for him to get a reading. Before that he said the message he was getting was that the car had not been plugged in for over two weeks. Which was not true. But my app never did connect. Well not at that point. Later on after I had unplugged it I finally got an updated status. Of hours before. Whenever I was on with Nissan. But I couldn't get another one after that. I went and tried to login again in the car a few times through the course of the night with no success. The last thing the service guy told me was that I shouldn't have to be logging in every time I use a charger at a different location so there must be an issue with the hardware. It can't hold the memory for some reason. So he said a trip to the dealer was probably my best bet.

I did just delete the app and reinstall. It gave me a current unplugged accurate status. I also wasn't getting notifications like some people were mentioning but I realized the app sets all notifications to off and you have to manually turn them on. Or at least that's how it was in my app. Funny, this may be the one app that has notifications off as a default. Every other app you I need to go in and turn the stupid notifications off. The one app I'd like to get notifications is the opposite. The other thing I noticed was that people were mentioning an update. I had not noticed an update to the app. And when I went and reinstalled it I saw that the latest update was on January 7th. The day I got the car. So I probably downloaded the newest version first. So I never saw the previous version. I do wonder if it was better.

Well, I'm gonna go plug it in soon. Let's see if it works. Sorry for the long first post.

snapple070 said:
I actually have AT&T as my phone service and my house is a dead zone for them. I think my whole town is. So if Nissan uses AT&T I could see that causing problems.
Yes, Nissan uses AT&T for the communication between Leafs and their servers. No matter how close your phone is to the car, the app goes through Nissan's servers.
snapple070 said:
I haven't used the climate control much because A. it only seems to work sometimes, B. I don't have it plugged in over night and from what I understand it needs to be plugged in to work.
When Climate Control is turned on remotely the Leaf does 10 minutes of ordinary heating and then 5 minutes of defrost. (This is for winter. I haven't tried remote summer air conditioning.) If the car is plugged in, it then repeats this 15-minute cycle three more times. If not plugged in, CC stops after that first 15 minutes. (Note: "Plugged in" is a rather vague term here. AFAIK, CC behavior may differ for "plugged in but waiting to charge because of a charge timer setting", "plugged in but not charging because a timer ended charging" or "plugged in but not charging because battery reached 100%". I've only tried "plugged in and charging".) The temperature it heats to is the one set in Settings on the Nav console (at least if you have Nav).

There's also a Climate Control timer, which, if you know in advance what time you want the car to be warmed up, works regardless of any AT&T cellular data.

Your 2017 should be like my 2015 was--climate control will run for 15 minutes after activating remotely if car is not plugged in. It will run for 2 hours after remote activation if the car is plugged in regardless of charge timer settings (will draw power from grid even if charge timer is preventing normal charging). The climate control timer will only activate the HVAC system if the car is plugged in and will deactivate the system after two hours or when the car is unplugged (whichever happens first). Also, the temperature setting is programmed under one of the menus on the center screen.

Your 2017 should be like my 2015 was--climate control will run for 15 minutes after activating remotely if car is not plugged in. It will run for 2 hours after remote activation if the car is plugged in regardless of charge timer settings (will draw power from grid even if charge timer is preventing normal charging).

It is my understanding (and I've seen nothing to indicate otherwise) that the climate control can only draw power from the battery - never the grid. I think that they wired it this way to protect the climate control system from grid power surges, with only the onboard charger being exposed to that risk. If the car is plugged in and the EVSE provides at least 16A at 240 volts, there will be no drain from the battery because the charger is putting energy into the battery as fast as it's being drawn off. If the car isn't plugged in, or is charging at L-1, or can't charge for some other reason, the battery will be slowly drained. Maybe what you saw was the car overriding the timer to charge the battery while the climate control was active. That would be interesting.

You are correct--the climate control system draws power directly from the battery. The onboard charger is activated when the climate control system is activated either remotely or by the climate control timer if the car is p!ugged in so the car is effectively drawing power from the grid while climate control is active. The SOC (state of charge) of the traction battery will drop if charging on L1 (120 volts) or low current L2 (208 or 240 volts at less than 15 amperes).

I have a 2019 Leaf SV that i purchased in Nov 2019.
I've had no problems until now. The Connect EV app is no longer showing the correct battery status. It's now showing random battery statuses from either Dec 2019 or Jan 2020. I called support and went thru the steps that appears to show everything is communicating properly at least according to level 1 support. My case has now been referred to level 2. Although the app is very slow it is better than nothing and helps me to keep my charge around 80%.

I think Nissan has completely dropped ConnectEV. I haven't been able to connect to my car via the app since March, and I haven't been able to access it via Nissan's website for at least that long. I keep seeing this pop up:

b53jPLE.png

Anyone with any inside info? Has Nissan pulled the plug on the service?

It is working fine with my 2019 from my computer. I was missing plug in reminders when parked at home, but receiving them when parked at my workshop. I went through menus in the car to make sure settings were correct and logged in to the web site, reselected all of the appropriate notifications (email and text), and resaved the selections a couple days ago and am now getting all desired notifications.

I start climate control remotely once in a while without issue. I allowed Google Play to update the Connect EV app a few days ago on my Android device and the app now fails during initialization before log in. I can still start climate control using the iOS app on my iPod and from the computer so this latest issue is either with my phone or the Android app.

I suggest you contact EV Customer Service to try to resolve your issues.

I noticed that the "charge complete" messages came from a different source starting last week, so Nissan is definitely doing some sort of upgrade/maintenance on the EV Connect system. I suspect we are going through some more "growing pains" for the service (my app doesn't want to connect today either).

It (via their iOS app) had be broken for me on with my '13 Leaf SV for several days, either returning very stale (months old data) or putting up an error dialog (I think it was "EV&Services Unable to reach your vehicle. Make sure the vehicle is located in a good cellular reception error..." with their 877 number).

It finally resolved itself earlier tonight, it seems.

Learjet said:
update...App is working again 5/18/20

Yep: got my "charging stopped" message this morning. :D
Just in time too, because I need to use the remote charge start capability today (going on a bit of lunch trip).

In the last month, I have started getting text messages notifying me that I checked battery status via remote app. I don’t know how useful that change is, but it indicated someone still works on that platform.

My complaint is after exactly 2 weeks of no driving, the modem loses connectivity and I get message of a weak cellular signal. I previously thought it was because I missed a day, it happens every time. I leave the Leaf when K travel, charged around 50%, and like to check on it. Not really a big deal, but it must be something running on a clock or I would not see the same experience.

My car had been turned on and even moved multiple times within a 2 week period when the service was busted. Heck, I even saw the head unit updating charging stations.

I sometimes move my car out of the garage to park it outside overnight when it's cooler then move it back in the morning.

Back