Electrify America Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IEVS:
Electrify America Cycle 2: $300 Million U.S. EV Investment Plan Released
https://insideevs.com/electrify-america-ev-investment-plan-released/

. . . Back in December, we reported on Electrify America’s Cycle 2 plans for California. We now have the details for Electrify America’s National plan for Cycle 2, which calls for a $300 million investment over a 30-month period starting in July 2019. . . .

Cycle 2 is a 30-month program and it begins in July of this year. You can find out more details below from the Electrify America press release:

Highlights of the National Cycle 2 ZEV Investment Plan include:

Charging Infrastructure

• Metro Community Charging: The major focus of infrastructure investment in Cycle 2 is charging within metro areas, where research shows that EV drivers charge most often.

Electrify America will invest in metro-based direct current fast charging (DCFC) stations in 18 metro areas, including these new metro areas in Cycle 2:

• Atlanta, Baltimore, Honolulu, Las Vegas and Phoenix

Electrify America also will continue to invest in these Cycle 1 metros:

• Boston, Chicago, Denver, Miami, New York City, Philadelphia, Portland, Seattle and Washington,
    DC

In Cycle 2, Electrify America also will broaden its investment in existing metros by adding:

• Boulder (CO) for the Denver market;
    Bremerton (WA) and Olympia (WA) for the Seattle market; and
    Bridgeport (CT) for the New York City market. . . .

• Highways and Regional Routes: Cycle 2 investments will build upon Cycle 1 efforts to develop a highway network of ultra-fast DCFC stations. This will include building new sites connecting regional destinations and filling in existing routes as station utilization of the highway network increases.

• Autonomous: To support the growth of autonomous ZEVs, Electrify America will build up to two commercial deployments of charging stations for autonomous electric vehicles where this need is emerging.

• Renewable Generation: Electrify America will invest in renewable generation for select stations to help to reduce station operating costs and reduce the carbon content for EV refueling. . . .

9 more sites have opened, making 15 for the month and 105 total: Ellensburg, WA (Jct. I-90/82); Sutherlin, OR (Jct. I-5/S.R. 138); Montebello, CA (S.R. 60 E of I-710); Butte, MT (Jct. I-90/I-15); Amarillo, TX (Jct. I-40/27); Mt. Pleasant, TX (Jct. I-30/U.S. 271); Naples, FL (I-75); Cheektowaga, NY (I-90 E. of Buffalo); Braintree, MA (Jct. I-93/S.R. 3, S. of Boston).

ellensburg and Butte make it possible, with extreme care, to make it all the way from Seattle to Grand Teton or even Yellowstone. Amarillo is currently out on its lonesome, and needs at least Weatherford to open for it to reach somewhere. Mt. Pleasant closes the gap on I-30 between DFW and Hope, and allows travel between DFW, Little Rock and Memphis. Cheektowaga allows Rochester and Syracuse to be reached from Cleveland. Naples connects with great care Miami with Tampa/St. Petersburg, and Orlando can be reached with extreme care. From Braintree, Augusta ME. is reachable with great care, and Montpelier, VT. with extreme care.

DaveinOlyWA said:
DanCar said:
GRA said:
9 more sites have opened...
What is your source?

Ellensburg has ZERO signs of life including no announcement on Plugshare which would be counter to EA's flag waving ways.
All Plugshare proves is that no one has visited it yet since it was declared open either yesterday or Friday. The sole check-in states that as of 1/15, the hardware was in place but no final inspection had been completed, and there was no power. That was 3+ weeks ago. Have you or someone you know visited the site in the past two days? EA has a pretty good record of being cautious (or lazy) about changing the sites from 'coming soon' to 'site is live' on their map, although inevitably there have been teething troubles that caused some of them to be u/s almost immediately, just as some of Tesla's SC sites have had.

Just for comparison, though, Tesla opened 27 sites (or 29 if you count the two N-S dual sites separately) in their first year, and EA has opened 105 in 9 1/3 months. Assuming they can open an average of 30/month through June, as they did in January despite some horrendous winter weather, they will have opened 240 out of the 300 they're required to have open or underway by then. If they can average 35 it will be 270, and if they manage 40/month they'll have all 300 done. They've got 135 sites currently shown as 'coming soon' with addresses identified (i.e. they've got a site contract), so that's 240 right there.

GRA said:
Just for comparison, though, Tesla opened 27 sites (or 29 if you count the two N-S dual sites separately) in their first year, and EA has opened 105 in 9 1/3 months.
And if Tesla had opened those sites in 2018/2019 with a $2B budget you might have a point, however weak since EA has trouble getting its chargers to work.

SageBrush said:
GRA said:
Just for comparison, though, Tesla opened 27 sites (or 29 if you count the two N-S dual sites separately) in their first year, and EA has opened 105 in 9 1/3 months.
And if Tesla had opened those sites in 2018/2019 with a $2B budget you might have a point.
Does a buyer care, or do they just want the infrastructure available ASAP? Of course it's $2 billion over 10 years, divided into four 30-month tranches of $500 million each of which California gets $200 million per tranche, and we've seen very little of that as yet owing to permitting hassles. Subtracting that $200 million/four QC sites (I'm ignoring the other work being done), that's 101 sites and counting for something well under $300 million. Considering what the delay to the Model X and Model 3 cost Tesla, $300 mil is (relatively) peanuts.

GRA said:
SageBrush said:
GRA said:
And if Tesla had opened those sites in 2018/2019 with a $2B budget you might have a point.
Does a buyer care, or do they just want the infrastructure available ASAP? Of course it's $2 billion over 10 years, divided into four 30-month tranches of $500 million each of which California gets $200 million per tranche, and we've seen very little of that as yet owing to permitting hassles. Subtracting that $200 million/four QC sites (I'm ignoring the other work being done), that's 101 sites and counting for something well under $300 million. Considering what the delay to the Model X and Model 3 cost Tesla, $300 mil is (relatively) peanuts.
Is a caveman making fire any more notable than my success with a match ? After all, everybody else just wants to be warm.

Your "reasoning" is nonsensical.

I for one am impressed with the rate at which EA is installing these stations. They have had teething problems, sure, but they really are breaking new ground here. They are a third party installing very high power chargers across the US.

I’m pleasantly surprised to see Cheektowaga turned on in February. I thought we’d have to wait until spring for that one.

40/month through June seems highly ambitious still. I doubt they will hit 300 operational stations by then. But there is a good chance they will have started the process on all of them at least. I wish them luck. Non-Tesla EV drivers are counting on them.

Yes, and that one has served me well so far. Unfortunately, the Welcome Center QCs are slowly dying - Southern Tier and Western NY already have broken chargers which are being neglected. The perils of free chargers. Frankly, I wish they charged a nominal fee for them for two reasons. 1) it discourages people from opportunity charging, keeping them available for those who need them and 2) the fees could be used for maintenance (even if they don't cover energy let alone recoup installation costs).

At least EA is required to keep their chargers online. They have set aside a budget for maintenance. And if VWAG gets serious about EVs, they have a continuing motivation to keep them alive and online.

Hopefully the Cuomo administration will be reasonably attentive to repairs, at least while the state charging network is in the build-out phase. Have you reported the broken chargers?

GetOffYourGas said:
40/month through June seems highly ambitious still. I doubt they will hit 300 operational stations by then. But there is a good chance they will have started the process on all of them at least. I wish them luck. Non-Tesla EV drivers are counting on them.
The reason I think it's possible is that they opened 30 in January, and to my surprise more than half of those (e.g. Dell, MT) were north of my semi-arbitrary freeze line, the 37th parallel, which runs along the northern borders of AZ, NM and OK. The line moves north along the Atlantic and Pacific coasts and south in the mountains, but I think 37N is a reasonable average - here's a US gov't frost map: http://www.hammerpedia.com/frost-line-map/

So, something like 25" to 30" frost depth equates to my freeze line.

SageBrush said:
GRA said:
SageBrush said:
Is a caveman making fire any more notable than my success with a match ? After all, everybody else just wants to be warm.

Your "reasoning" is nonsensical.
You've lost me with your analogy. You have a Tesla, and thus you already have a QC infrastructure (built up over 6+ years) that allows long range driving in many areas. People who need that infrastructure for non-Tesla and in many cases more affordable BEVs care about a widespread CCS/CHAdeMO QC network, and EA is unquestionably building that infrastructure far faster than Tesla built theirs, which is what the customers care about. Could Tesla have built the SC network sooner if they hadn't thrown away over a year and only they know how much money developing unnecessary, heavy, expensive, slow-operating and unreliable Falcon Wing Doors for the Model X? Of course they could.

GRA said:
GetOffYourGas said:
The reason I think it's possible is that they opened 30 in January, and to my surprise more than half of those (e.g. Dell, MT) were north of my semi-arbitrary freeze line, the 37th parallel, which runs along the northern borders of AZ, NM and OK. The line moves north along the Atlantic and Pacific coasts and south in the mountains, but I think 37N is a reasonable average - here's a US gov't frost map: http://www.hammerpedia.com/frost-line-map/

So, something like 25" to 30" frost depth equates to my freeze line.

I don't disagree that it's possible. I just think it's highly ambitious, and unlikely.

But to your point, Herkimer NY was built out during the winter. When I stopped through in late December to check out the progress, there were two men working on it. It was 20F and snowing at the time. It was also about 7pm. That single data point suggests to me that EA is serious about getting thing done. Of course, they only have so much control of the situation. As of MLK weekend, the installation was done, but still not connected to the grid. I have no idea whether they are waiting on inspections or just waiting for National Grid to complete their end of the deal.

GetOffYourGas said:
I don't disagree that it's possible. I just think it's highly ambitious, and unlikely.

But to your point, Herkimer NY was built out during the winter. When I stopped through in late December to check out the progress, there were two men working on it. It was 20F and snowing at the time. It was also about 7pm. That single data point suggests to me that EA is serious about getting thing done. Of course, they only have so much control of the situation. As of MLK weekend, the installation was done, but still not connected to the grid. I have no idea whether they are waiting on inspections or just waiting for National Grid to complete their end of the deal.
BTW, now that Cheektowaga is open, you could shuffle off to Buffalo (and return) in your Bolt any time you want. That assumes that anyone who didn't have some mandatory reason to go to Buffalo in the winter would opt to do so. ;) Once they open Albany you'll be freed from your BEV straightjacket both east and west, although Herkimer would make things easier, and also allow you to sing along with the following: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcNJ2RMOd3U

Back