GCC: Volkswagen customers in Germany ordering more diesel vehicles; share of 43% in 2018, vs. 39% in 2017

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2019/01/20190130-vwdiesel.html

Posted without comment:
. . . Demand for diesel cars was particularly strong among private customers, where the share almost doubled from 15% in 2017 to 27% last year.

• In Germany, the diesel debate is emotionally charged—and frequently strays from the facts. Given its high efficiency and its performance and in light of climate change, the diesel engine will remain an important technology for years to come, especially for those who travel long distances.

—Volkswagen Brand Board Member for Sales, Jürgen Stackmann. . . .

It sounds like the anti diesel movement is largely emotionally driven and has no basis in reality.

Diesel engines emit up to 15% less CO2 than comparable gasoline engines; the CO2benefits are greater for larger vehicles. The very latest generation of diesel engines from the Volkswagen Group (EA288 evo, earlier post) achieves even lower emission levels and reduces CO2 emissions by up to 10 g/km (NEDC) in a direct comparison to the previous generation.

(At least with the new dieses out now, I agree the old ones can be pretty dirty)

Oilpan4 said:
It sounds like the anti diesel movement is largely emotionally driven and has no basis in reality.

Who cares how bad the air gets anyway? That is an emotional issue. Like LA air gets people emotional, or at least crying.

Yes, diesel engines are more fuel efficient, so emit less CO2 than gasoline engines. But diesels produce more PM2.5.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/05/170526084541.htm

So what's it going to be?
Better fuel economy less CO2 but more PM or lower fuel economy, more CO2 and a little less PM?

Doesn't seem like diesel cars would cause any problems if they were used in the countryside.

Your preaching to the choir. I am well aware of PM studies on cardio health.

But how much worse are the PM emissions from the new generation diesels?
I saw a UK study that showed a large portion of the 2.5 PM actually comes from brakes and tires. The diesel exhaust limits weren't helping nearly as much as they though it would.

Oilpan4 said:
I am well aware of PM studies on cardio health.
Let me add to your awareness: the heart and lungs are different organs. Lungs are the organs we use to breathe and are the organs damaged by inhaled soot. Is this over your head ? I"ll try to dumb it down further if needed.

Diesel engines emit up to 15% less CO2 than comparable gasoline engines
VW Golf:
https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new/golf-sv-pa/which-model-compare/details/3380#tech-spec
The petrol version emits 3.7% more CO2 per distance

================
NOx:
KiD4IHv.jpg

Vehicle A = 2012 Jetta SportWagen TDI DSG (LNT), Vehicle B = 2013 Passat TDI DSG (SCR), Vehicle C = 2013 BMW X5 xDrive35d (SCR)
Here is a summary article of the test that brought this issue to light: http://www.citylab.com/crime/2015/09...kswagen/407149

See that broken green line at the bottom of the chart ? That is *maximum* allowable NOx emissions in the US, 70 mg/mile. The cleaner petrol cars on the road in the US emit ~ 4.3% of that maximum allowable amount

Quick math:
VW Diesels emit up to 1800 mg/mile
Clean petrol cars 3 mg/mile
-> diesels emit up to 60,000% more NOx emissions than clean petrol cars

Oilpan4, are you shooting for the most ignorant person to ever post here ?

LeftieBiker said:
Somebody doesn't know about Dieselgate, apparently.

Diesel gate was due to NOx and programming the ecu with an emissions testing "defeat device".

VW tried one of the oldest tricks in the book used on electronically controlled vehicles to pass emissions and got caught.
No auto maker appears to have ever gotten away with doing this.

SageBrush said:
Oilpan4 said:
Your preaching to the choir. I am well aware of PM studies on cardio health.
Let me add to your awareness: the heart and lungs are different organs.

Thank you captain obvious.
I'm well aware of what they are I have removed plenty of them from my all natural fast foods (deer, rabits, elk, ect).

VW tried one of the oldest tricks in the book used on electronically controlled vehicles to pass emissions and got caught.
No auto maker appears to have ever gotten away with doing this.

VW filled Europe with dirty diesels for many years. That's close enough to "getting away with it" from the perspective of environmental degradation. (Europe failed to meet its air quality targets because of the actions of VW/Audi, Mercedes, and the French diesel car makers.) These other diesel manufacturers are STILL getting away with it, by using an exemption in European emissions rules for "engine protection."

I don't know if you're deliberately trolling with all of your extraneous references to Iraq, killing small animals, and deceptive websites, but what you are mainly accomplishing is getting yourself filtered and your opinions discounted. If that's what you want, fine...

Here is the overall trend in the important Diesel countries in Europe

uc

The trend away from Diesel is if anything, accelerating:

https://www.best-selling-cars.com/europe/2018-half-year-europe-diesel-car-sales-per-eu-and-efta-country/
Overall a 16-17% drop YOY from H2 2017 to H2 2018. Marketshare in Germany dropped 20% and 30% in the UK

And even though the EU still has very lenient NOx pollution standards for diesels at 271 mg/mile by the RDE compared to 70 mg/mile in the US, the diesel manufacturers as a group are still far away from compliance. This graphic is taken from a 2017/18 ICCT article
https://www.theicct.org/sites/default/files/publications/ICCT_Pocketbook_2017_Web.pdf

uc

BTW I came acros this interesting documentary from German broadcaster DW (in English) regarding diesels:

https://youtu.be/gguwJRrzzF8

For 2018 as a whole, via GCC:
European car market logs best year for alternative fueled vehicles, lowest diesel share since 2001
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2019/02/20190204-jato.html

The European car market remained stable during 2018, as 15.6 million vehicles were registered—just 346 more than in 2017—according to JATO Dyanmics. It was the best result since 2007, when the market peaked with 16.02 million registrations. Strong results in Q2, where the market was up by 4.8%, and Q3, where the market was up by 1.1%, were enough to offset the large decline posted in Q4, where the market dropped by 7.5% and recorded its lowest volume since 2014.

Diesel vehicles posted their lowest market share since 2001, as demand fell by double digits in 20 of the 27 markets included in JATO’s analysis, with the biggest drops in the UK (-30%), Scandinavia (-22%) and Benelux (-22%). . . .

• Throughout 2018 we continued to see the effects of the diesel crisis, as announcements of policy changes by governments led to confusion and panic among consumers.

—Felipe Munoz, JATO’s global analyst. . . .

The majority of vehicles registered in 2018 were powered by gasoline engines, with the fuel type making up 57% of all registrations. This result marks a 7-point market share increase on 2017 and a 12-point increase in 10 years, confirming that gasoline vehicles continue to benefit from the demise of diesel.

Diesel vehicles counted for just 36% of all registrations, as their market share dropped 8 points on 2017 and 19 points on 2011—the peak year for the fuel type. Almost one million more consumers opted for a gasoline vehicle in 2018 than in 2017, while Alternative Fuelled Vehicles also benefitted with almost 200,000 more registrations than in 2017.

2018 also marked the best ever performance for AFVs, recording 944,800 registrations and a 6.1% market share. This is a huge increase in ten years, having counted for just 0.5% of total registrations in 2008.

Notably, most of the fuel type’s growth was driven by pure electric vehicles, which outsold plug-in hybrid vehicles, as their volume increased by 47% from 132,800 vehicles in 2017 to 195,300 vehicles in 2018. Norway was the biggest market for electric vehicles, where they held a 31% market share, while the Netherlands outsold the UK and became the fourth largest EV market, behind Germany and France.

Despite growing at a slower rate than in previous years, the shift from traditional cars to SUVs continued in 2018. In total, 5.4 million SUVs were registered in Europe throughout the year, up 19% on 2017, as their market share increased from 29.2% to 34.6%.

Demand for SUVs grew by 20% between 2016 and 2017, by 21% between 2015 and 2016, and by 24% between 2014 and 2015, and has more than doubled over the last four years.

Most of the SUV growth was driven by small SUVs, where volume was up by 29% to 2 million registrations, while compact SUVs continued to be the most popular type of SUV, with 2.3 million registrations—a volume increase of 17%.

MPVs once again felt the impact of the SUV boom, as registrations fell by a huge 27% to just 891,000—a result that marks the worst performance for the segment since the car became popular in the mid ‘90s. Midsize cars were also affected by the demand for SUVs, as both premium and mainstream types recorded double-digit falls. . . .

Now that the number of childish insult posts in this topic is even, I hope it will be possible to move on without them. As long as I'm asking for the extremely unlikely, I might as well add World Peace (or Whirled Peas, as the case may be).

Down, apparently:
German annual car sales fall 0.2 percent as diesel bans dampen demand
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-g...nt-as-diesel-bans-dampen-demand-idUKKCN1OY13U

Sales of diesel cars fell to 32.3 percent of new registrations, down from 38.8 percent in 2017, while petrol cars jumped to 62.4 percent from 57.7 percent. . . .

“Registrations of diesel cars reached their lowest point since 2000,” said Peter Fuss, a partner at EY. “The range of models remains limited because not all vehicles have been certified for delivery. . . .”

Back