How often do you charge?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GetOffYourGas said:
The problem I have is that several DCQC on which I rely for my trips are freebies installed by NYS. They put them in new "welcome centers" - one on the border with PA, one by Niagara Falls, and one at the edge of the Adirondack park. Being free, I fully expect them to either be out of order or have long lines very shortly.
The last one you mention is at the Mohawk Valley Welcome Center. It's only a year old (or so). It has only 3 CHAdeMO chargers (no CCS) and already 2 are mostly not working. https://www.plugshare.com/location/120491

I'm not sure why they put it there. It's 1/3 of the way from Albany to Syracuse (150 miles), but there's currently no further DCFC west of it. And it's in a service area off the west bound Thruway at a non-exit, so you can even use it when traveling eastbound.

One of the pictures on PlugShare shows a Tesla charging (using the CHAdeMO adapter). I'm not sure why the driver bothered; there is really good SC coverage in that area and he could charge far faster at Utica or Albany.

jlv said:
GetOffYourGas said:
The problem I have is that several DCQC on which I rely for my trips are freebies installed by NYS. They put them in new "welcome centers" - one on the border with PA, one by Niagara Falls, and one at the edge of the Adirondack park. Being free, I fully expect them to either be out of order or have long lines very shortly.
The last one you mention is at the Mohawk Valley Welcome Center. It's only a year old (or so). It has only 3 CHAdeMO chargers (no CCS) and already 2 are mostly not working. https://www.plugshare.com/location/120491

I'm not sure why they put it there. It's 1/3 of the way from Albany to Syracuse (150 miles), but there's currently no further DCFC west of it. And it's in a service area off the west bound Thruway at a non-exit, so you can even use it when traveling eastbound.

One of the pictures on PlugShare shows a Tesla charging (using the CHAdeMO adapter). I'm not sure why the driver bothered; there is really good SC coverage in that area and he could charge far faster at Utica or Albany.

Actually, no. I never use that one because I drive a Bolt (CCS). The one outside the Adirondacks is the new "Gateway to the Adirondacks" welcome center in Lake George. They have two chargers, each with both a CHAdeMO and a CCS port.

https://www.plugshare.com/location/165964

DaveinOlyWA said:
Your post is a contradiction. I will say its not much of a hassle to plug in a car but to do so EVERY TIME you move it would start to grate on my nerves. I do agree that I charge my car like my cellphone and that is... when its convenient and I remember to do it. I have power packs lying around nearly everywhere in case I forget to charge in the car, the den, the bedroom or the living room (all of which have power outlets with cabling all ready to go)

But despite all that, my phone has seen 100% a half dozen times in 13ish months (Its a Pixel XL2 so whenever it came out) and all those were by accident. I generally want to charge it to the low 90's and plug it in when it goes below 30%.

I find it no hassle to just push the button to pop the cover as I exit and plug in the J1772. Super simple. And my phone stays tethered to a cord. It's 100% except when I am out and about. Charger in the car. Battery pack for the plane. Chargers by the couch, bedroom, office, etc. You never know when you need the 100% and it doesn't cost anything.

2k1Toaster said:
My Leaf is my largest cell phone on wheels that I own and I treat it as such. When I get somewhere with an outlet, I plug it in. If I drive down the hill and back for a grocery run and come back at 94%, I plug it in. Move the car in the driveway and it is still at 100%, plug it back in and let it re-balance. Life is too short to care or worry about battery longevity. After the 35k or 37k miles (haven't checked in a while) it is at, I still get 80-85 miles of VERY SPIRITED and routinely high speed driving (speed limit is 75mph posted, traffic flows at 5-15mph faster than that) per charge on nice day with all bars, but probably not for long.

If I lived on the equator I may treat it differently but it is just not worth it. 5-7 years of worry and hassle to prolong battery life by 20%? At current replacement rates ($8500) that's $1700. I'll pay $1700 to not worry about it and just drive the darn thing. And in my specific case being at above 85% at this age versus those that have spent a car's-life of worry means I am equal. So it has cost me nothing to not care.

I would really like to know how you're getting "80-85 miles of VERY SPIRITED and routinely high speed driving" on a 2013. Even on a brand new battery it can't do that

The highway portion of the routine drive is about 12 miles long. The Leaf can't make "high speed" in my opinion anyways. If you don't start getting tunnel vision, you're not going high speed. Usually starts in the 150mph+ area depending on the person and their eyeballs.

Back