2018 SL, TCU connection problems

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baltneu

I am taking the recommendation of another poster and starting a new thread rather than add to an old one.......

Background:

Picked up my 2018 Leaf SL on Oct. 6. Everything in the car works fine. My 240 volt line in the garage was installed this week (50 amp breaker, NEMA 14-50 receptacle, No. 6 AWG wire). Set the timer to charge starting at midnight and when I woke up in the morning, wala, it was 100% charged.
The only thing not working is the EV Connect application. I started with Nissan tech support, they bumped it up to a higher level, ran diagnostics to the car and said that they can communicate with the vehicle, but the vehicle would not communicate back. So this past Saturday I brought the car into my selling dealership, had to leave the car with no service on Saturday because the one and only Leaf technician does not work on Saturday. They looked at the car this afternoon and I received a message that the tech was stumped because all the functions in the car are working. The message also indicated that the tech has now placed a call into their tech support hotline for assistance and waiting for the hotline to get back to the local technician.

It is a bit frustrating that the iPhone function does not work. The technician I am told is the shop foreman so I have to believe he is a qualified person and not a beginner at this. So now I wait until they speak. They gave me a loaner at no charge. If anyone has any thoughts given the above, would like to hear about it.
Thank you.

FWIW, the app isn't that great. I've got an '18 SL and use an iPhone X with it. I've had issues with the unlocking command not working when someone at work accidentally closed the charge door when trying to plug mine in. You've had the car for not long so give it a little time to work itself out. Mine was one of the those that had the front radar issue, and I couldn't use the cruise for the first 6 weeks I had my SL.

Lashlee, thanks for the encouraging words.

Update:

Yesterday the tech ran all the OBD and found everything working OK, so they bumped it up to their tech support who told them to re-boot the TCU which they did. It did not make the EV Connect app work. So I decided to just pick up the car, return their loaner, and move on.
With all the posts on the EV Connect it's not worth getting crazy over and keeping the car at the dealer for a few days.
They ran some detailed report and adjusted the tire pressure. I wish they had not adjusted the tire pressure because when I went into the TPMS display, the tire pressures did not appear. I rode the care home which is about 10 miles. The dealer said that will happen when the tire pressure is adjusted but it will come back as I drive it. No warning lights on the display. Hope he is correct.

I would have only used the EV Connect occasionally so I am going to give up on it for now and enjoy the car.

On the way home on the highway, I turned on the adaptive cruise control and you get the lane assist. I took my hands off the wheel in a curve and sure enough the car kept centered in the lane, it did not like it after a few seconds and gave me a red warning to put my hands back on the wheel.

What I'm talking about is don't put your hands back on the wheel after it begins to warn you. Then observe the progressively more aggressive warnings & eventual brake checking & then actual braking.

Did you try the full 20-30 seconds of no hands experience?

Have you tried an android device, could be a problem with the iphone app. I've only used it to start my climate control a few times, but have not had any issues.

Don’t have an Android device.
One tech told me it could be a problem with the iPhone IOS 12

Thanks Baustin, still does not work
I have a feeling that IOS 12 on the iPhone is the problem and that tech support at Nissan needs to fix this, not holding my breath

I'm using an iPhone X with iOS 12.0.1 using V6.2.7 of the app. I know it may seem obvious, but does the car show it's connected to the service?

Lashlee
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, the car is showing a connection, when I am on the menu, there is a picture of the car with the 2-3 lines next to it, not a red line through the car, and the SOS button works.

Baltneu said:
Thanks Baustin, still does not work
I have a feeling that IOS 12 on the iPhone is the problem and that tech support at Nissan needs to fix this, not holding my breath

If you cannot access it through a web browser on a PC, then it won't work on the phone either. You will have to get Nissan EV Tech Support to fix the problem.

Tech support just pushes it back to the dealer.
Dealer re-booted TCU and now I have less options on my display.
Cannot access tire pressure diagram, it does not exist anymore in the menu.
Thanks dealer.
I have given up on the iPhone apps, just trying to enjoy car

Spoke to a knowledgeable tech person on Friday, told me my VIN was not connected to account, went through a few screens I had not seen before and she told me I would be up and running in 24 hours........its a no go, still the EV Connect app does not work.
I also received an email last night to push the SOS connect button and that would complete my installation. I pushed it, spoke to a person, and he said all was operational. Nope.

Baltneu said:
Spoke to a knowledgeable tech person on Friday, told me my VIN was not connected to account, went through a few screens I had not seen before and she told me I would be up and running in 24 hours........its a no go, still the EV Connect app does not work.
I also received an email last night to push the SOS connect button and that would complete my installation. I pushed it, spoke to a person, and he said all was operational. Nope.

Can you login to the Nissan Owner Portal from a web browser on your PC and connect to the car from there (charge start, climate control on/off, status update)? If it does not work from there, it will not work from the phone app.

Did you print out the EV Pin and Password from the Owner Portal and enter it into the Leaf? This links the car to your owner portal account. I don't know if this is different on the 2018, but is required for all years prior.

Does the Manage Vehicle screen on the Owner Portal show the correct VIN number for your car?

baustin said:
Baltneu said:

Can you login to the Nissan Owner Portal from a web browser on your PC and connect to the car from there (charge start, climate control on/off, status update)? If it does not work from there, it will not work from the phone app.

Did you print out the EV Pin and Password from the Owner Portal and enter it into the Leaf? This links the car to your owner portal account. I don't know if this is different on the 2018, but is required for all years prior.

Does the Manage Vehicle screen on the Owner Portal show the correct VIN number for your car?

Cannot login to Nissan Owner Portal from a PC.
Cannot add the Pin and PW on a 2018
Correct VIN entered.

Baltneu said:
baustin said:
Baltneu said:

Correct VIN entered.

Next step would be to work with EV Support to resolve the issue preventing you from logging into the Nissan Owner Portal.

baustin said:
Baltneu said:
baustin said:

Correct VIN entered.

Next step would be to work with EV Support to resolve the issue preventing you from logging into the Nissan Owner Portal.

Thanks
Spoke to EV support, they tried everything on their side.
They think it is a bad TCU board and needs to be swopped out.
I am not going to go to the dealer just for this. I am going to enjoy the car and when it goes in for service will address this.

Baltneu said:
baustin said:
Baltneu said:
Correct VIN entered.

Thanks
Spoke to EV support, they tried everything on their side.
They think it is a bad TCU board and needs to be swopped out.
I am not going to go to the dealer just for this. I am going to enjoy the car and when it goes in for service will address this.

Understood. It very well could be a defective TCU. However, the Owner Portal access is a separate issue not tied to the TCU. Gaining Owner Portal access will help with troubleshooting whether or not there is access to the car through the Nissan Servers.

Back