Should I be looking for a new Nissan dealer to service my Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baltneu

I recently picked up a 2018 SL. Working on a problem with Nissan Tech Support, they said the problem has to be resolved by the dealer. Seems to be a problem with the TCU. But the particular issue is not why I am writing this post.
The dealer I bought the car from has the ability to make appts on-line, so I made the appt for this past Saturday. When I arrived, they told me they would have to reschedule the appt for a "weekday", because the one and only qualified technician to work on my car does not work on weekends, only weekdays. After some bickering, they gave me a no-charge loaner, which I appreciate, and I left the car.

Over the weekend it dawned on me that there is only 1 person to service my car at this dealer. What happens if he is out for a week due to illness or injury (hope not, of course)? Does my car sit for a week? Is it common for dealers to have only one certified technician on a Leaf?
Is it time to ask around at other dealers in my county if they have more than one Leaf techs?

You can look, but it isn't an unusual situation. In fact, the closest dealership to me, that I used to service my first Leaf, has to "borrow" a Leaf tech from another location. I'd get used to making appointments for weekdays, and confirming them the day before.

Or you can specify your location in your profile, and improve the probability of getting recommendations from the forum, or just networking references (e.g. local FB group, etc.). In my area (admittedly, with high concentration of Leafs), one dealership has the "go to" reputation for service.

It couldn't hurt to look, but ultimately Nissan is responsible for having qualified service personnel in your general area. I'm also pretty sure that the dealer is required to keep qualified LEAF staff on the payroll, so I wouldn't worry over much.

All good recommendations.
I live in Westchester County, NY. That is about 20 miles north of NYC.
So if anyone in my area has a recommendation, would love to hear it. There are 4 Nissan dealers in my county alone. The dealer that I bought the car from, the sole Leaf technician is also the shop foreman, so he is no low level or inexperienced technician.

I spoke to the service writer about the issue of a sole technician. He told me if that occurred, they would pull someone from a Nissan district office to help. He said that is very infrequent and cannot remember a case because these cars do not come in for service often other than the routine maintenance. Anyone in the shop can rotate tires and change the air filter.

Baltneu said:
I spoke to the service writer about the issue of a sole technician. He told me if that occurred, they would pull someone from a Nissan district office to help. He said that is very infrequent and cannot remember a case because these cars do not come in for service often other than the routine maintenance. Anyone in the shop can rotate tires and change the air filter.

FWIW, I agree with that assessment. The dealer I bought my Leaf from (and who replaced the battery) only had (1) qualified Leaf tech for several years...which didn't really matter because they don't have a lot of problems and don't require a lot of maintenance. Now you know why car dealers (and specifically the service department) don't like EVs!

Yes, the Leaf specialty mechanics are few per dealership, but that does not mean that you cant go there... If you have a body, interior, tire, suspension. brake problem, any good technician can work on the car.

I am a home mechanic, own 5 cars at this time, and have no fear of examining and working on the car.. The only issues that you need a Leaf tech is in the electrical and charging systems..

Unavailability of specialized technicians on a Saturday is not unusual. The eGolf-certified technician at my local dealer said that he and the other such tech have to alternate weekends for that reason. If one goes out sick or is on vacation on "his" Saturday, the other guy has to be willing to fill in.

At some if not many dealers, Saturday service is limited to services that only require fluid/filter changes.

Back