The official "I got my Leaf" thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Levenkay said:
For public charging that you don't NEED to use (like plugging in while you buy some groceries), L2 is fine. But if you're "having to wait" for a public charge, you should be using a DC fast charger.

Having made a fairly long trip with only L2 charging, I'd like a 20kW L2 option. Sure, someday DCQC will be many places, but I suspect the more remote areas will never have anything but L2.

Levenkay said:
be236 said:
I bought a used CPO Nissan LEAF 2017 S red colour with about 6000 miles at my local Nissan dealer in Kirkland WA. Has Quick Charger and was made in May 2017. Pretty cool. Fun driving it... though trying to get used to having to wait so long for public L2 charging.
For public charging that you don't NEED to use (like plugging in while you buy some groceries), L2 is fine. But if you're "having to wait" for a public charge, you should be using a DC fast charger.

First there are not that many public QC stations near me that are free... And most (near me) are expensive, around $8 per QC session. So I'm stuck at L2 for awhile... just waiting 45 minutes to charge at L2 to gain 20 miles is a pain, but I guess I have to accept it. Thankfully, I dont drive many miles for my daily commute yet, so I typically charge up once-a-week or so.

WetEV said:
Levenkay said:

Having made a fairly long trip with only L2 charging, I'd like a 20kW L2 option. Sure, someday DCQC will be many places, but I suspect the more remote areas will never have anything but L2.

Yeah, 20kwh L2 charging would be nice... 6kwh L2 is just bearable, and I feel sorry for those with just 3kwh L2 charging...

I noticed a lot of people here are "placing orders for their new 2018 LEAFs."

That's strange, since in WA here, most of the Nissan dealers I've visited have a ton of 2018 LEAFs sitting in their parking lot waiting to be bought/sold...

Plenty of them for sale here for immediate pickup the day you buy them...

be236 said:
Yeah, 20kwh L2 charging would be nice... 6kwh L2 is just bearable, and I feel sorry for those with just 3kwh L2 charging...
Everyone lacking a physics/engineering background goes through this as a new EV driver, but the "speed rating" of various vehicle charging arrangements should be stated simply in watts (or kilowatts), not watt hours (or kilowatt hours).

Going even farther off-topic, I think EV manufacturers have an opportunity to address all of these issues: 1) eliminating the expense of having extra onboard electronics for charging, 2) the expense of manufacturing DCQC fast charging equipment, 3) Increasing charging rates from AC mains supplies, and 4) providing the benefits of "vehicle - to - grid" (or to-home) power delivery, by exploiting the vehicles' main power conversion systems, which are already capable of serving all these functions. Seems to me that all of these could be done at the trivial (compared to the onboard charger cost) cost of one additional contactor relay, some additional software, and some badly needed legislatively-enforced specifications for the vehicle's external power connectors.

Levenkay said:
be236 said:
Everyone lacking a physics/engineering background goes through this as a new EV driver, but the "speed rating" of various vehicle charging arrangements should be stated simply in watts (or kilowatts), not watt hours (or kilowatt hours).

Going even farther off-topic, I think EV manufacturers have an opportunity to address all of these issues: 1) eliminating the expense of having extra onboard electronics for charging, 2) the expense of manufacturing DCQC fast charging equipment, 3) Increasing charging rates from AC mains supplies, and 4) providing the benefits of "vehicle - to - grid" (or to-home) power delivery, by exploiting the vehicles' main power conversion systems, which are already capable of serving all these functions. Seems to me that all of these could be done at the trivial (compared to the onboard charger cost) cost of one additional contactor relay, some additional software, and some badly needed legislatively-enforced specifications for the vehicle's external power connectors.

Yeah, I tend to mix-up "kwh" and "kw."

Thought I'd post and let everyone know that I found a 2013 Leaf with 12 bars showing and decided to buy it. Perhaps the original owner is a member. Whoever it is took great care of the car, so I'm quite pleased to be the second owner and will take just as good care of the car.

I too just got a new leaf. It’s a 2015 S with 605 miles (now about 640 after the driving around over the weekend). This is my first experience with an electric car. So far I love how it drives and how quiet it is. I’ve got this big ol smile on my face most if the time. Seriously I think driving this car will lower my blood pressure. Tomorrow I will be taking it to work. It’s a short trip but about a mile of it is up a pretty good hill, so I’m curious what that will do to the range. I’m charging it now though I’m sure It will be fine for a few days of driving.

Steve

be236 said:
I noticed a lot of people here are "placing orders for their new 2018 LEAFs."

That's strange, since in WA here, most of the Nissan dealers I've visited have a ton of 2018 LEAFs sitting in their parking lot waiting to be bought/sold...

Plenty of them for sale here for immediate pickup the day you buy them...

most (if not all) dealer in canada don't have anything in stock and is waiting for the 2019 to come. I've place an order in may and i should received the 2019 in october

Hey guys,
New to the forum and EV ownership. Wanted to say Hi!

I got my 2018 Leaf S in September and have been enjoying it. I got the charge package on mine. I kind of regret not getting the trim with navigation, since I can't use the Connect EV app or communicate with the car via my phone to check on charging. But, I'll get used to it.

I got mine through the Massachusetts's energy program. They only deal with a handful of local dealers that are knowledgeable on EVs. Through the program, I got a $6.5K instant discount on the $32K MSRP; I watched the discount increase each month as I waited to buy at the end of Summer. The state offers another $2.5K rebate, and then there's the federal $7.5K credit, so I managed to get some great discounts on the price.

I already had over a year's worth of research on EVs, so I was prepared going into the dealership. I just needed to take a test drive for the real world experience. The dealership had 1 salesperson whose only job was to sell/lease the Leaf to consumers, companies, and cities/towns. I found that he was very knowledgeable on EVs; he had been selling the Leaf since 2012. There was also no pressure from him of the dealer's finance Dept during the purchase. This was the best car buying experience I have ever had.

A lot of the state Nissan dealership's had been dumping their Leaf's on this dealer, since they could not sell them; I see this as a common problem with EV dealers. The dealership had just received 3 Leafs after Labor Day, one of which was the exact color (blue) and base model that I wanted. He reserved one for me. I saw that it still had a lot of the plastic wrap on it when I came for the visit, so we did the test drive on a SV model. It all went well, as I expected. A few days later, I picked up my Leaf, and promotional Leaf baseball hat & coffee cup and, drove into the sunset.

I received my 2017 SL on September 21, 2018. I purchased it through Carvana and am very pleased with the experience. I traded my 2014 Honda Accord which Carvana picked up when they delivered the Leaf. The Leaf was from Florida where a person had a one year lease. It was auctioned in Georgia and only had 4,300 miles on it. The only negative was a missing SD map card. The Navigation does not work without the SD card. Many other features also do not work. Carvana told me to visit a Nissan dealer and have them install a new SD card. Carvana also wanted the Nissan dealer to submit a claim to their SilverRock warranty service. But the dealers in my area did not want to deal with Silver Rock. So I just purchased the SD card from a dealer and installed it. I put a review on the Carvana website describing my experience with the SD card. I received an email from Carvana the day following my review submission. They asked for a picture of the SD card receipt so they could send me a check for it. I received the check the day after I sent them the receipt photo. I like the Leaf and I highly recommend Carvana based upon my experience. But be warned buying used Leafs. Check for the SD card. They seem to go walking.

Yes... you do have to buy the replacement SD card from a Nissan dealer for it to work. Do not buy a SD card from eBay or anywhere else.

Hi, we are new to this forum, we just bought a 2016 SV, a very pretty red color. It only had 7300 miles after a corporate lease. It does have all 12 bars, and charged to 105 miles. It was originally bought in this area (Seattle), so no real hot weather. Our other car is a 2018 Honda Clarity PHEV, so we are a 2 electric car family now, sharing a level 2 charger in the garage. :D

highland58 said:
Hi, we are new to this forum, we just bought a 2016 SV, a very pretty red color. It only had 7300 miles after a corporate lease. It does have all 12 bars, and charged to 105 miles. It was originally bought in this area (Seattle), so no real hot weather. Our other car is a 2018 Honda Clarity PHEV, so we are a 2 electric car family now, sharing a level 2 charger in the garage. :D

awesome! welcome to the club!

If you don't mind, can you PM me (or share on another thread) your experiences with the clarity phev? i know some folks who are still having trouble with transitioning to an EV, and they only have faith in Toyota and Honda. :(

Brought home my new to me certified pre-owned 2015 S today, so there is now one less ICE vehicle on the roads! I was also able to drive a new 2019 SL today and the newer cars are even nicer, e-pedal is awesome! Pro pilot sort of creeped me out since I'm obviously not used to allowing a car to guide itself, but it was pretty neat nonetheless. Anyway, obligatory car in my garage shot.

IMG-20181027-142059.jpg

Hi everyone!
I just purchased a 2013 Leaf SV from a used car dealer. Admittedly I probably should have done a little more research prior to buying it, but overall I am very happy with my new (to me) Leaf. Unfortunately it has not had the best life. I am the third owner and the last two burned a decent amount of the battery. My Leaf only has 9/12 bars left, but it wasn't from the south according to the paperwork (ME & NY) so I'm not as worried. I have a very short commute so it should work well for my needs.
My dealer is trying to get a replacement SD card, because someone stole it between the time he bought it and picked it up. The Nissan dealership here has no idea how to do it and they insisted that he would have replace the entire console in the car. Big thanks to the great people on the forum here for the information on how to get a new one. I've already passed that info along to my guy and hopefully just saved him to big bucks.
I've already learned a lot just reading the different threads, and I am trying to search/dig before posting questions. I would suggest a master thread compiling a list of the best threads of common questions, but someone would have to put a lot of time into managing it. I've seen other forums do this in an attempt to cut down the number of duplicate threads. It doesn't stop people from just posting questions, but I think it does help a little for people like me who actually try to look before posting.

LeftieBiker said:
Your car was probably built before April of 2013, giving it the old, crappy battery chemistry. The thread compilation is a good idea. Calling Cwerdna! I have written a used Leaf buying guide with the bad things to look for. I'll link it here shortly.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=26662

Yes, it is an 01/13 Leaf. I did come across your thread in my search of the forums, but thank you for sharing it.

Back