Electrify America Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Via GCC:
Electrify America partners with Simon to install ultra-fast EV chargers at more than 30 shopping centers in US
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2018/05/20180522-simon.html

Electrify America is teaming up with Simon, a global leader in premier shopping, dining, entertainment and mixed-use destinations, to install electric vehicle charging stations at more than 30 Simon centers throughout the US. . . .

The first installation will open in early June at Gulfport Premium Outlets in Gulfport, Mississippi. Other notable Simon locations that will receive Electrify America charging stations include King of Prussia (Philadelphia, PA), San Francisco Premium Outlets (San Francisco, CA), Del Amo Fashion Center (Los Angeles, CA), Ontario Mills (Ontario, CA), Santa Rosa Plaza (Santa Rosa, CA), Florida Mall (Orlando, FL) and South Shore Plaza (Braintree, MA). . . .

At the Simon locations near major highways, Electrify America’s chargers will have a range in power from 50 kW up to 350 kW. Other Simon facilities will offer a range of power from 50 kW to 150 kW, as well as an L2 AC charger to accommodate plug-in hybrids and non-DC-charge capable EVs at most locations.

garybluetree said:
I was at the Target in East Palo Alto, CA, today I saw what looked like new chargers being installed. Are these part of the Electrify America network?
You'd be most likely to know, but as noted upthread Target is one of the corporations which EA is working with.

GRA said:
garybluetree said:
I was at the Target in East Palo Alto, CA, today I saw what looked like new chargers being installed. Are these part of the Electrify America network?
You'd be most likely to know, but as noted upthread Target is one of the corporations which EA is working with.

Right. Could very well be EA. It would be worth investigating a little. Maybe snap a picture or two, talk to the Target manager, etc if you are curious.

Via GCC:
Electrify America picks Black & Veatch, SAI Group as design-build firms for EV fast charging stations
http://www.greencarcongress.com/201...uild-firms-for-ev-fast-charging-stations.html

. . . Black & Veatch and SAI Group each plan to manage the full design, permitting, and construction process in order to deploy more than 2,000 DC fast chargers across 484 sites at or near retail, dining, parking, and other facilities that offer convenience and amenities for EV drivers. All the sites will be installed or under development by June 2019.

Black & Veatch, which specializes in the deployment of energy, water, telecommunications, and smart city infrastructure, has been awarded the site design and construction of Electrify America’s ultra-fast charging stations in 24 states in the Pacific Northwest, Mountain, Central, Midwest, Southeast Central and Southeast regions. Black & Veatch will also construct sites in California, where the company maintains a regional office and has created thousands of jobs.

SAI Group, which has performed work in Alaska, Hawaii, and most states in the continental United States, has been awarded design-build responsibilities for Electrify America’s ultra-fast charging stations in 16 states in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, South-Central, and Southwest regions.
Currently four sites are open, with 18 more 'Coming Soon', which hopefully means ''Under Construction' or at least 'Permitted' rather than "We hope to do it, sometime".

all right! only one more year to go!

uhhhhgg, and I'll guess one stall per DC charger location, with NO enforcement of anti-ICEing laws, and overpriced to boot. win-win-win????

Oh, and low 22-30 kW power. NOT fast. gee, what a great way to get more EVs on the road!

Let's see where this lands in the upcoming 365 days.

I'm such a pessimist when it comes to these type of projects. I've been disappointed for 4 years...

finman100 said:
all right! only one more year to go!

uhhhhgg, and I'll guess one stall per DC charger location, with NO enforcement of anti-ICEing laws, and overpriced to boot. win-win-win????

Oh, and low 22-30 kW power. NOT fast. gee, what a great way to get more EVs on the road!

Let's see where this lands in the upcoming 365 days.

I'm such a pessimist when it comes to these type of projects. I've been disappointed for 4 years...

Hate to rain on your parade but the SLOWEST station so far is 50 KW and even those are scheduled to be upgraded later

yep, exactly.

ALL the DC fast chargers here in Oregon are "50 kW". I don't ever see that charging. maybe 40 kW for 2 minutes. LeafSpy has a way of showing what's going on. VERY typically it's 30 kW or lower, EVEN at a 15% charge status. oh well. at least upgrades are coming "later" (rolling eyes).

finman100 said:
yep, exactly.

ALL the DC fast chargers here in Oregon are "50 kW". I don't ever see that charging. maybe 40 kW for 2 minutes. LeafSpy has a way of showing what's going on. VERY typically it's 30 kW or lower, EVEN at a 15% charge status. oh well. at least upgrades are coming "later" (rolling eyes).

really?? Actually I know someone who surveyed a lot of them and other than AV, found VERY few over 40 KW. If you read the specs posted on the machine, it will say 50 KW (with some math) but the reality is most are not.

a 50 KW machine on a 400 volt pack must put out at least 125 amps to hit 50 KW "eventually." Most of the EVGO's in WA have been turned up but for some reason their max output varies from 118 to 130 amps. I would consider them 50 KW machines.

Granted the BMS will slow the charge down so your realistic thru put will be in the mid 40's. I have charged at over 49 KW on my S30 at an AV. No other station comes close that I have run across.

I have an older pack?

I remember the early days of 2014-2015 (for me). I'd see 45 kW very regularly, then the usual taper.

Now 2018 and I'm down a bar (17.5 kWh) and i rarely see 40 kW. Age and usage slows the fast charge? dunno.

I have used a LOT of the AeroVironment DC chargers. And some Blink DC chargers.

finman100 said:
I have an older pack?

I remember the early days of 2014-2015 (for me). I'd see 45 kW very regularly, then the usual taper.

Now 2018 and I'm down a bar (17.5 kWh) and i rarely see 40 kW. Age and usage slows the fast charge? dunno.

I have used a LOT of the AeroVironment DC chargers. And some Blink DC chargers.

Well, newer packs are not always the advantage. Can't get no faster than about 45 KW on my 2018 because charge taper starts around 63%.

Will never know now but can't help but have a nagging feeling that S30 may have been the best battery I have had. The 2018 is too new to make any definitive conclusions but other than range, it does not seem to stand out like that 30 kwh pack did.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Can't get no faster than about 45 KW on my 2018 because charge taper starts around 63%.
Then by my arithmetic you have to charge every ~ hour for 20 minutes to optimize throughput of about 45 mph.

Sound about right ?

SageBrush said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Can't get no faster than about 45 KW on my 2018 because charge taper starts around 63%.
Then by my arithmetic you have to charge every ~ hour for 20 minutes to optimize throughput of about 45 mph.

Sound about right ?

Not sure how you got that but sure, its possible. In my life (which means it may not necessarily work for anyone else apparently) Most long trips I have taken rarely average much more than 50 mph anyway. Ya see, I have tracked several aspects of my transportation data since 2003 well before the LEAF came along. One thing that is a must in my life is stops. Whether I take advantage of those stops to add range is completely up to me.

A network that allows this is where we all need to be.

As far as charging stops? It was easy on my S30 simply because its charging speed was ONLY based on SOC so grabbing a significant chunk of range anytime below 80% SOC was easy. The 2018's charging speed is controlled by SOC or temperature initially so the charging stops become a lot more complicated especially if on a tight schedule.

On my Oregon trip, I had the trip computer running all the time including during charging sessions and averaged 40 mph so that was a somewhat "good" indicator. I did waste about 10 mins at the beginning of the trip preparing "stuff" and probably should have reset the timer and each stop had some delay while I recorded data, took pix, etc. but overall speed was not the goal since I knew when I started and when I got home. I also wasted time at 3 different AV chargers testing them to see if they might work with my 2018 (they didn't).

But all that time included stops that would have been made driving "any" car including a food stop which due to unfamiliarity of the area probably added at least 15 mins to the mix.

On the way back, I had to make 2 charging stops simply because my pack was hot enough that first one started at 25 KW (SOC under 15%) and the 2nd one at a compatible AV started at 22 KW. I was blessed in that the AV station despite the 30 min time limit of NCTC will run forever or until nearly full. Here I was able to charge 40 mins which gave me more than enough to get home. This was also a meal stop and likely would have charged less but service was slower than expected.

But timer was only off while eating lunch and during the time at the Outlet Mall.

Just to keep track of openings, the First EA fast QC station opened May 2nd, and there are currently four open, with 18 'coming soon':

Open: Chicopee, MA; Fincastle, VA; Reston, VA; Gulfport, MS.

Coming soon: Memphis, TN; Manchester, TN; Huntington, OR; Plymouth, MA; Stratford, CT; Waterford, CT; Breaux Bridge, LA; Colby, KS; Hays, KS; Spring, TX; Grant's Pass, OR; Albany, OR; Lexington, NE; Lebanon, MS; Hope, AR; Sulphur, LA; Forrest City, AR; Pensacola, FL.

On my most recent road trip testing Webasto QC compatibility, I swung by the Albany location. They were in the process of putting the last station (the dual one) in the ground. Setup is shaky and a quick review of pix from existing ones shows a disturbing trend.

One pix shows 6 stations with only 6 parking spots so no queueing is even possible there. Some are better with 6 stations and 8 parking spots but the Albany one has 4 stations and "maybe" 5 parking spots. There is green space behind the Albany location so parking in the next row is not an option.

At least they were smart enough to locate them away from the store's prime parking

Back