2018 leaf s no wheel wells?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My point is whatever the reason is no excuse for them to send out a half finished looking product, im very happy with the prefromance but i feel like im paying a LOT of money for something that is unfinished. And after talking to corporate and several dealers its something that wont be resolved by nissan...time to break out the spraypaint...

OrientExpress said:
The rear wheel wells in all LEAFs do not have liners, never have had them. Only the front wheel wells have plastic liners.

2011 has a 1/3 liner at the rear of the wheel arch.

I said when first noting it on my own car that I thought it was a recipe for early rust-out of the rear quarter panels, but we haven't yet heard about any major rust issues.

Call it the OCD in me but I could not stand seeing the rear wheel wells open and exposed. I ordered the liners online (Part numbers 76748 and 76749). They are the listed part numbers for the SL with ProPilot. I just picked them up today and they are a heavy fabric and not plastic. Will try to get them installed today to tomorrow.

My 2013 S does not have the mounting holes shown in the ops pic. It does have a partial liner in the rear of the wheel well. The front of the wheel well does have some white glue like the ops but it is not as big a mess. I remember being concerned that the front of the wheel well looked like it would gather debris and lead to corrosion. It does gather debris but still no sign of corrosion :) .

My 2017 S has what I call "Cr@p pockets" in front of the rear wheels (looking downwards on the forward edge of the rear wheel):

20180911_112422.jpg

These definitely fill with ice and snow in winter, and you can see some summer detritus there now. There are a pair of holes on the inside vertical edge of this pocket, but no mounting holes on the outside body panel. So a cover needs to only mount on the left edge. I've been wondering how to cover them up, at least enough to reduce the amount of snow which lives there.

I've been thinking that I need something like perforated angle-iron (but made of plastic) to connect to the frame with cable ties, about 6 inches tall; plus two layers of coroplast. The coroplast would extend down over the bottom lip of the Cr@p Pocket, and above that, would tuck inside the outer body panel.

If there's a Nissan part for this, that could work too.

BTW, I get the biggest snow chunks in the LEAF wheel wells of any car I've owned. Even the front wheel wells, which don't have Cr@p Pockets, will build-up enough snow/ice that when you turn the steering wheel, you can hear the wheel grinding on the ice chunks.

I took a 7$ can of truck bed liner and painted the wheel wells with it in the rear. It will now have a much longer life and elemental resistance. Not to mention it looks way friggin better

specialgreen said:
My 2017 S has what I call "Cr@p pockets" in front of the rear wheels (looking downwards on the forward edge of the rear wheel):
20180911_112422.jpg
I have the same on my 2018 Leaf S rear wheels. I think I'll be using the truck bed liner spray on them, as mentioned by Solarninja.
My front wheels have the well liners, though.

From page 3: "Part numbers 76748 and 76749

Apparently these also are used on Altima's from 2007 to 2012. There are a couple of 2007-2009 Altima's in my local boneyards. I might pick up a set if I think of it and it's convenient. Cars don't rust much here in CO and I don't often drive the Leaf in snow so it's not a priority but I do like the look better with the wells in place.

Edit to add: there is a second part to the part number that apparently affects fitment so caveat emptor.

goldbrick said:
From page 3: "Part numbers 76748 and 76749

Apparently these also are used on Altima's from 2007 to 2012. There are a couple of 2007-2009 Altima's in my local boneyards. I might pick up a set if I think of it and it's convenient. Cars don't rust much here in CO and I don't often drive the Leaf in snow so it's not a priority but I do like the look better with the wells in place.

Edit to add: there is a second part to the part number that apparently affects fitment so caveat emptor.
Yes those are the part numbers, but not sure if Nissan uses part numbers across vehicles. When I ordered them they showed as being for the 2018 Leaf with Pro Pilot. The dealer asked for my VIN and I had to explain what I was doing, as my vehicle does not have Pro Pilot.

Installation of these did require the removal of another piece on the rear side of the wheel wells. If someone is curious I can take a photo of the piece.

The omission of rear wheel well liners is apparently a known complaint from new Leaf owners.
My 2019 Leaf SV Plus did not come with protection for the rear wheel wells. The underside of the chassis was exposed to dirt and corrosive elements.
My local dealership was able to fix the problem - now the rear wheel wells have a black liner that covers the bare metal, similar to what you see in the front wheel wells.

This is a list of the parts that the dealership ordered:
767586SA0A: Protector-rear wheel (1) )
767495SA0A: Protector-rear wheel (1)
0155305131: Plastic clip (12)
015532DR9A: Clip (8)
089136065A: Nut (2)

Back