Zencar 32a adjustable portable L2/L1 EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I honestly don't remember, but mine came so fast I didn't have time to worry :)
As I ordered mine around their new year?? it was delayed getting it out their door, shortly after it was shipped I had it on my doorstep, amazing considering it came all the way from China :shock:

Can somebody confirm one little detail about ZenCar chargers: when it is charging it shows Voltage, Amps and total kWh. What happens when the charge is complete, but car is still connected (plugged in)? Does it still shows total kWh for last charge session, or it resets it to Zero kWh, so there is no way to know how much total kWh went in the car battery during charging?

I have no brand charger and it shows kWh during charge, but the moment charge is complete - it resets it to 0 kWh, so no way to figure how much energy car battery took. Kind of dumb logic in charger upon completion.

Thanks in advance!

I'm almost certain that it retains the kWh of energy dispensed during the last charge cycle until you unplug the J1772 handle from the LEAF's charging port. I'll double check, when I get a chance, and post back here if that's inaccurate.

It retains total Kwh until unplugged from the wall :)
IOW if you never unplug it, total Kwh just keeps climbing, of course when plugged in but not charging amperage shows zero.

@alozzy Thanks, I was able to confirm it is not only retains total kWh after charge is complete while plugged, but also even after you unplug the cable. Very good thoughtful design. I splurged for 40A version available on eBay.

I also bought this WRONG adapter to enable 120V 15A charging: "Cable Matters Angled 50 AMP to 15 AMP RV Adapter (15 AMP to 50 AMP Adapter) - 1.5 Feet (NEMA 5-15P to 14-50R)" https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076ZTVSL3/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . Please, look below for the right adapter suggestions.

This way I could remove OEM 120V L1 charger

Unfortunately, that adapter cable you purchased is not wired correctly for an EVSE - don't use it. You need to buy one specifically designed for use with an EVSE...

Something similar to this:

https://goo.gl/jPyVgK

Also, on a regular 120V outlet (NEMA 5-15R), you don't want to exceed 12A, 15A is definitely too high. Before charging from a standard 120V outlet, make sure you set the amperage rate on the Zencar to 12A before connecting it.

If you visit campgrounds, you can also get a TT-30P <-> NEMA 14-50R adapter from the same site:

https://goo.gl/4CA1gn

You can safely charge at 120V @ 24A on a TT-30R (again, you need to adjust the amperage setting on the Zencar before connecting it)

Thanks for adapter warning, I kind of was concerned about the consumer grade RV adapters. Those wire both hot wires together as they expect you to feed RV both 240V halves (X and Y) from 120V plug. Glad you mentioned it, I cancelled it and bought this one instead for $23.99 just listed: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Convert-22...to-120V-Safely-w-14-50-5-15-Plug/142832448826

I tested Zencar 40A charger and it works perfectly. Hardly worm on touch vs the smallest 32A no name charger (was moderately hot in some spots). Solidly built, RF cards are working to change amperage, so is shaking. Nice instructions on the back. The other no brand charger had nothing at all and some button with unknown functional purpose. Zencar 40A kind of similar to my JuiceBox 40 performance, accurate temperature, amperage and voltage readings, keeps total KWH count while powered. No regrets.

The Zencae is a usable EVSE. Since it has no GFCI circuit it fa9ls the J1773 protocol but many are happy with it. Most Chinese EVSE's fail since they do not have a GFCI circuit. If you ignore that then they work fine. I suspect that they come from the same factory. Many sellers just pick up the item that they sell from a distributor.

Back