Anybody with 2011 or 2012 interested in upgrade to new battery?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lylou2 said:
Hello, did enybody tried to make power bank for from 18650 batteries for nissan leaf 2011 or later and just put in baggage back, couse if to colculate that one cell f.eg. 18650PF is 10,7w/h so to get 10kwlh of extra energy you need aprox 960 cells and of ourse connect it in 96s10p plius BMS, so it's gonna be aprox 50kg and 20ltr pack which takes only 10 cm of baggage space down inside, and the price to get these nice cells aprox 1800 euros. Does somebody tried to make something like this? And for me most interesting to know how does the main computer of the car react to it or does just discharge/charge goes 2 times slower then before? Couse to make like this battery is wery easy couse I made before much of el. bicycle batteries.

There is a detailed discussion about doing this here: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6522&start=250

I've temporarily made a 48V/1500W "power bank" which I can charge my car with via 110V EVSE to get an additional 4-5 miles in an emergency. It's only ~70% efficient (1.4 kWH from the power bank, 1.0 kWH to the Leaf battery).

i have a Leaf from 2011 (24kw) with 89000 km, and my battery is 9 bar capacity
i found a battery 30kw from dissasembly, and i want to know if is possible to move cell from new battery to old one, without have any problem with bms or charging new 30kw modules.
does anybody make this 30kw movement to old battery? i read all posts in this thread and I don't fint anything with new 30kw modules.

The 30kwh modules are in a different, 'double' configuration, and are not compatible with the 24kwh modules on an individual basis. It might not even be wise to use them if it were possible, because they degrade so quickly in even slightly hotter climates. You might be able to sell those double modules to an electric motorcycle or bicycle builder. They have been used successfully (as have the 24kwh modules) in the Vectrix VX-1 motorcycle, as a replacement for the original NiMH cells. If you actually bought the salvaged pack I may be able to put you in touch with someone looking for them for a Vectrix.

I don't want to mix 24kw modules with 30kw , i ask if i replace all 48old modules with new 30kw modules, use old bms, and the question: it is possible or anybody try this?

ilie3000 said:
I don't want to mix 24kw modules with 30kw , i ask if i replace all 48old modules with new 30kw modules, use old bms, and the question: it is possible or anybody try this?
Battery capacity is measured in kWh, not "kw".

ilie3000 said:
i read all posts in this thread and I don't fint anything with new 30kw modules.
It's already been stated the discharge curve of the cells in the 30 kWh packs is different than 24 kWh packs. Example: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=508480#p508480. See the replies that followed, as well. I guess you missed this.

Frankly, if you can't get the units right, I doubt you're qualified to do the work yourself.

cwerdna said:
ilie3000 said:
Battery capacity is measured in kWh, not "kw".

ilie3000 said:
i read all posts in this thread and I don't fint anything with new 30kw modules.
It's already been stated the discharge curve of the cells in the 30 kWh packs is different than 24 kWh packs. Example: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=508480#p508480. See the replies that followed, as well. I guess you missed this.
That doesn't show its not possible, that shows that the voltage curve is different. Your fuel/range will display inaccurately but that's no problem really.
However, there's an easier way which doesn't involve messing with modules. Take the complete battery inc BMS and the matching VCM:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13333&start=30#p517865

Frankly, if you can't get the units right, I doubt you're qualified to do the work yourself.

Dude, that's a bit harsh. Its pretty easy to miss that h off kWh, frankly its a stupid unit more-or less designed to confuse. I don't think anyone would have been misled by the lack of to h's there. If you've got nothing constructive to say, best to say nothing at all.

NiallDarwin said:
Dude, that's a bit harsh. Its pretty easy to miss that h off kWh, frankly its a stupid unit more-or less designed to confuse. I don't think anyone would have been misled by the lack of to h's there. If you've got nothing constructive to say, best to say nothing at all.
The person got it wrong every single time (at least 8 of them). I know the difference and yet I am NOT qualified. My major was in my university's school of engineering and applied science but I'm no EE nor an electrician.

We're talking about a pack that weighs over 600 pounds (almost 300 kg) and with deadly voltages inside. When someone keeps getting units of electricity wrong, I question how qualified they are.

We've already seen enough differences between different "generations" of 24 kWh packs. Doesn't seem likely interchangeability/compatibility of modules w/older ones was a design goal for parts for/within a 30 kWh pack vs. a 24.

NiallDarwin said:
Dude, that's a bit harsh. Its pretty easy to miss that h off kWh, frankly its a stupid unit more-or less designed to confuse.

Certainly not nearly as brilliant and elegant a unit as "horsepower", but EV folks are a hardy lot. :lol:

I like the SI unit of jewels.
They're shiny, don't leave poop around like horses.
They don't remind me of the time of impending doom:
The Killer (What, not me, not now, surely not!?) hour.

The leaf modding Ukrainian on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi8nlJqLOyapQ5EXR4wqMoA
Was able to get a 30kwh powered 2011 leaf by taking the VCM and battery out of a 2016 leaf and putting it in his 2011.

At the moment this is the most complete plug and play upgrade known for the 24kwh leaf.

Nissan said something to the effect of "the 30kwh battery won't work in a 24kwh car" and they are correct.
When our comrade installed the 30kwh battery in his 2011 car and tried to power it up, a whole lot of nothing happened.
You need the 30kwh battery and VCM from a 30kwh car.
Then the car has a 30kwh pack, it knows it has a 30kwh pack and everything works.

Oilpan4 said:
The leaf modding Ukrainian on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi8nlJqLOyapQ5EXR4wqMoA
Was able to get a 30kwh powered 2011 leaf by taking the VCM and battery out of a 2016 leaf and putting it in his 2011.

At the moment this is the most complete plug and play upgrade known for the 24kwh leaf.

Nissan said something to the effect of "the 30kwh battery won't work in a 24kwh car" and they are correct.
When our comrade installed the 30kwh battery in his 2011 car and tried to power it up, a whole lot of nothing happened.
You need the 30kwh battery and VCM from a 30kwh car.
Then the car has a 30kwh pack, it knows it has a 30kwh pack and everything works.

Or:

1. The 24/30 kWh VCMs only differ in their firmware,
2. The original 24 kWh VCM can be re-flashed,
3. One had access to a Nissan Consult II diagnostic tool, and
4. The 30kWh VCM firmware is downloadable from Nissan (highly unlikely) without an access code,
or the 30kWh VCM firmware can be read-out.

lorenfb said:
2. The original 24 kWh VCM can be re-flashed,

Wouldn't you need to have the replacement battery ID to do that?

For a new warranty pack, that information comes written to a custom SD card and I'm not aware of anybody being able to replicate that methodology, do it a different way, or even pull the ID from a replacement pack.

I think I agree with all of that.

1, that is the only difference that their appears to be. At the moment it's easier to just snag the VCM form the car that supplied the 30kwh battery.
2 - all, no one knows how to do it independently out side of officially sanctioned, nissan approved work, at the moment.

Seems like these folks have done it the easy way:

“Thanks to our battery pairing tool, battery swaps can now be performed by independent repairers in the safest and most efficient method possible. Pairing a battery with our tool after replacement now takes less than 30 seconds – simply insert the tool into the vehicle’s OBDII diagnostics port and press the on button.”

http://evsenhanced.com/products/hv-battery-pairing-tool/

joeriv said:
Seems like these folks have done it the easy way:

“Thanks to our battery pairing tool, battery swaps can now be performed by independent repairers in the safest and most efficient method possible. Pairing a battery with our tool after replacement now takes less than 30 seconds – simply insert the tool into the vehicle’s OBDII diagnostics port and press the on button.”

http://evsenhanced.com/products/hv-battery-pairing-tool/

Yes, it would appear so. And I actually heard about these guys in another thread a couple of days ago. They have some pretty awesome gadgets! I'm not certain I was more than peripherally aware of this one.

While I'm waiting Cor to reply - did anyone try to replace sockets on G2 battery (power & control) or wires on G1 Leaf to attach G2 battery to G1 Leaf without swapping cells?
There's "retrofitting procedure" https://testing-public.carmd.com/Tsb/Download/126060/NTB14-059c available for G2 battery, but it assumes you buy already modded battery with right sockets and do several mechanical things outside the battery to fit it to G1.
G1 == Leaf 10-12 , G2 == Leaf 13-17

My Leaf`12 has cold climate package, if that help.

Back