2019 Honda Insight

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edatoakrun

Sure looks like a prius killer to me.

Serial hybrid, with an additional highway-speed mechanical drive mode, solving Nissan's e-power freeway efficiency problem.

And just like with Nissan's serial hybrid e-power, I found myself asking why not put a ~16 kWh pack and a CHAdeMO (or even CCS) DC port on this thing?

Ok, probably not enough room in this compact sedan, but put that drivetrain in a five-door crossover...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waKe6uh3wZ4

2019 Honda Insight first drive: World’s most efficient Civic

Honda's latest Insight gets 52 MPG combined and it goes around corners

...Compared to a Prius it’s a handling dream. It’s not like a Civic Type R but it’s way better than a standard Prius. At the lunch break, I actually drove a Prius and found that while it still had a somewhat wooden feel behind the wheel it felt very comfortable in a straight line.

I also did a handheld iPhone 0-60 test and found that the Honda Insight was two seconds quicker to 60. The insight got 8.38 seconds to 60 and the Prius got 10.34 seconds. Not a totally scientific measure but interesting. Honda says the Insight is 1.5 seconds quicker than the Prius. Honda suggested that its Insight will get to 60 in “under eight seconds.” Could be.

The Verdict

Should you go with the Insight or the Prius when choosing a hybrid? If you want more lively handling, get the Insight. It goes on sale June 29 starting at $23,725. Prices go up to $28,985 for the Touring. The Prius which gets a couple more mpgs but not too many more, ranges from $24,400 and goes up to around $34,490.
Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/car-reviews/first-drive-2019-honda-insight-worlds-most-efficient-civc#ixzz5J4ctBgah

edatoakrun said:
Prius Killer :lol: I've heard that before.....Remember the C-maxx, wasn't it also a Prius Killer :lol:
I wish Honda luck but it's hard to beat a Prius :cool:
Not that I like everything about our Prius but it does get great MPG, has a VERY long range (600 miles, we have a '07 regular hybrid) and has proven to be extremely reliable, had fewer issues with it than my Leaf :(
Did it miss it or did that whole article that mentioned different ways one could spin the tires on the Insite, not mention the size of the hybrid battery :roll:
I guess since it doesn't sound to be a PHEV, battery size might not be as important but you'd still think they could mention it! Also no mention of battery chemistry, although I'd have to believe it was LiOn and very few other specifics, well other than multiple ways to spin the tires.....

jjeff said:
edatoakrun said:
Prius Killer :lol: I've heard that before.....Remember the C-maxx, wasn't it also a Prius Killer :lol:
I wish Honda luck but it's hard to beat a Prius :cool:

The second-gen Insight, which arrived in 2009 as a 2010 model, was also supposed to be a "Prius Killer".

I too wish Honda luck. But they don't have a great track record with hybrids or their batteries. I'm sure it drives better than a Prius (now there's a low bar!). That's a big reason why I bought a 2010 Insight. But the tiny battery made travelling in mountains very painful. It would be depleted halfway uphill, and the engine would rev like crazy to both climb the hill AND recharge the battery. Then it would be fully recharged halfway down the other side, and Honda would turn on the engine again to slow the car. Yes, you read that right - my Insight would burn gasoline in order to slow down the car. Brilliant.

edatoakrun said:
jjeff said:
edatoakrun said:
Prius Killer :lol: I've heard that before...we have a '07 regular hybrid..
congratulations for owning one of the least-ugly of the Prii ever made...
Yes I wasn't so hot on the ones prior and for sure not the angular ones later :eek:
Truthfully if I were in the market for a PHEV I'd probably get the Prime, not quite as ugly as the regular Prius and has the added benefit of being able to go for upwards of 30 miles on EV alone. Truthfully after owning several EVs I'd be hard-pressed to purchase any ICE that didn't have at least a minimal(20 miles) of EV only mode :)

Back