2016-2017 model year 30 kWh bar losers and capacity losses

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jbuntz said:
Overheatingleaf said:
Just got done with the QC. I think there's a problem with my Bluetooth adapter. It kept disconnecting, and I'd have to pull it out and put it back in to get it to connect again. But I think it has the relevant information, maybe just ignore the first few minutes of the charge.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6zd9B6oApT2RxC389

To me it looks like the charge drops quickly after start.

trying to decipher those graphs in portrait mode is making it rather tough. Based on your degradation, I would have to say it looks nearly normal.

EVforRobert said:
Fools rush in where angels fear to tread. Here getting the battery reprogram for my 2016 S30.

Despite the possible "negative" consequences of getting this done, I still HIGHLY recommend it. Without it, your BMS is not flying blind. Its flying blind while receiving verbal instructions from a blind person. There can be no good from that.

I will say I LOVED the fact I could QC my S30 to 93-94% in 30 mins due to the high ramp down. Yeah the pack got warm, but it really saved me during the work day when longer stints on the charger were simply not possible. Now, when was I due to "pay the man?"

Dk...but it apparently was sometime after the 29,413 miles I put on the car before she was killed.

EVforRobert said:
Fools rush in where angels fear to tread. Here getting the battery reprogram for my 2016 S30.

Look forward to your after-update experience report. So far those that had the update done and have commented on it have all reported very positive experiences.

As you can see in my signature the numbers have changed significantly after reprogramming. SOH is back up to 93.98%. I am at 55% SOC so not going to charge it yet.

When I first got the vehicle I did a trip to Monterey Bay Aquarium and afterwards to Salinas Nob Hill Foods DCFC. Total was 107 miles with 21 miles left on GOM on the brand new battery. If I have time I wish to replicate my original drive to see if I make it.

EVforRobert said:
As you can see in my signature the numbers have changed significantly after reprogramming. SOH is back up to 93.98%. I am at 55% SOC so not going to charge it yet.

When I first got the vehicle I did a trip to Monterey Bay Aquarium and afterwards to Salinas Nob Hill Foods DCFC. Total was 107 miles with 21 miles left on GOM on the brand new battery. If I have time I wish to replicate my original drive to see if I make it.

Since a BMS reset is part of the process, it will take a bit to normalize readings.

I'm pretty stoked about the software update, my 2016 30X Leaf has lost a bar and I'm looking at some pretty depressing LeafSpy stats, such as 82% SOH with only 13K miles.

Please keep those updates rolling in :)

Had the update done on Friday to my 2016 SV. SOH went from 90.18% to 95.55%. GOM showed 131 miles after a full charge (whereas 114-121 is more typical for my driving patterns). AHr jumped from 71.675 to 75.943.

Curiously, HX unaffected and is still dropping; currently 83.87. (SOH also dropping similarly).

gshepherd said:
Had the update done on Friday to my 2016 SV. SOH went from 90.18% to 95.55%. GOM showed 131 miles after a full charge (whereas 114-121 is more typical for my driving patterns). AHr jumped from 71.675 to 75.943.

Curiously, HX unaffected and is still dropping; currently 83.87. (SOH also dropping similarly).
hx is very low. Try a QC from a low charge.

gshepherd said:

I would check daily or some sort of fairly frequent intervals for 30 days and report the differences.

Overheatingleaf said:
Did another quick charge yesterday from 18% on the dash, on s pretty hot day. Did it in landscape mode this time. Looks like my charge starts to slow down around 50%. Not sure if it's from the battery temp or just a normal charge curve. I'll see if I can embed the picture here.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6b9ekcFCQkQRATCe6
Thanks for posting and very interesting. I am a bit confused as I thought you didn't have the update and yet it looks like Nissan has capped the temperature to 50°C which is a good thing for battery life (as per 2018 models) but I thought this hadn't been applied to the 2016-2017 models. Your GIDs % seem very low at full charge. Is the max GID setting original value?

Yeah, no update yet as far as I know. I had it at the dealer on Friday, but I think if they had applied the update, I would have seen the capacity bars back to full even if just temporarily. I'm not sure what the GID's should be at, but given that I'm 4 bars down at the moment, it would make sense that I'm pretty low.

This test was on an evgo charger. I think i might try a blink charger on my way home today, just to see if it's and different. I imagine they would be the same, I think the car is the one dictating how much power it can draw, but there's one not too far out of my way, so might as well give it a shot.

mn4az said:
On an unrelated thing I am taking my '16 Leaf in for warranty service next week and will ask that they perform the update at the same time. I will be sure to capture before/after LeafSpy stats.

@rcm4453 given you are in MN, like me, and have lost bars already on your '16 Leaf I will be super interested in your analysis as well.

Apologies for the formatting. To lazy to fix. 6/20 is pre-software update and 6/21 is post-software update.

Date 6/19/2018 6/21/2018
AHr 68.58 73.66
SOH 86.29% 92.68%
V 395.67 395.26
Hx 78.79% 78.28%
ODO 32561 32643
QC 9 9
L1/L2 1708 1712
SOC 97.80% 97.80%
GIDS 313 337
kWh 24.3 26.1

Will take another reading on July 2 after a full charge to see how things are settling in.

mn4az said:
mn4az said:
On an unrelated thing I am taking my '16 Leaf in for warranty service next week and will ask that they perform the update at the same time. I will be sure to capture before/after LeafSpy stats.

@rcm4453 given you are in MN, like me, and have lost bars already on your '16 Leaf I will be super interested in your analysis as well.

Apologies for the formatting. To lazy to fix. 6/20 is pre-software update and 6/21 is post-software update.

Date 6/19/2018 6/21/2018
AHr 68.58 73.66
SOH 86.29% 92.68%
V 395.67 395.26
Hx 78.79% 78.28%
ODO 32561 32643
QC 9 9
L1/L2 1708 1712
SOC 97.80% 97.80%
GIDS 313 337
kWh 24.3 26.1

Will take another reading on July 2 after a full charge to see how things are settling in.

Got this update Monday.

Before update was down 2 bars

SOH: 75.45%
AHr: 56.97
Hx: 68.83%

After update all 12 bars restored

SOH: 87.71%
AHr: 69.71
Hx: 68.57%

GOM is overestimating range by a lot more now. I don't pay attention to it anyway all I care about is SOC.

I'm still getting the same range as before, arrived to work with the same ~85% SOC remaining even after update. I know it will take weeks for more accurate readings. Even if the 87% SOH turns out to be fairly accurate that's still way too much degradation for a 2 year old car with 27k miles, glad I leased!

rcm4453 said:
I'm still getting the same range as before, arrived to work with the same ~85% SOC remaining even after update.

This is invaluable information. The update won't recover lost range, the degradation to date is real. I suppose the hope is the software will estimate the range better and protect against additional accelerated degradation.

Overheatingleaf said:
Did another quick charge yesterday from 18% on the dash, on s pretty hot day. Did it in landscape mode this time. Looks like my charge starts to slow down around 50%. Not sure if it's from the battery temp or just a normal charge curve. I'll see if I can embed the picture here.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6b9ekcFCQkQRATCe6
I just realized that this LeafSpy graph lets us estimate the kWh put in the battery per change in SoC.
Easier than finding a ChargePoint station to estimate full battery capacity.

JPWhite said:
rcm4453 said:
I'm still getting the same range as before, arrived to work with the same ~85% SOC remaining even after update.

This is invaluable information. The update won't recover lost range, the degradation to date is real. I suppose the hope is the software will estimate the range better and protect against additional accelerated degradation.

Right. And the SOH and Ahrs will most likely return to the pre-reset values. Again, Nissan just basically reduced their liability by changing
the slope of the rate at which bars drop over the warranty period.

lorenfb said:
JPWhite said:
rcm4453 said:

Right. And the SOH and Ahrs will most likely return to the pre-reset values. Again, Nissan just basically reduced their liability by changing
the slope of the rate at which bars drop over the warranty period.

+1

I agree!

So rookie here. I think that SOH stands for state of health. If the State of health and the AHr both rise how is that "changing the curve". Honestly don't understand what is going on there. In my little blonde mind if I see the AHr number rising is this not a good thing?

Is the general consensus that this is some kind of fraud on the part of Nissan. Its just kind of hard to believe. I mean sooner or later that kinda thing always comes back to bite you in the ass.

For our type of driving the GOM has always been a good indicator of real range. Just a combination of slower speed limits here as well as 60/40 highway driving. It will be interesting to see if things change going forward after the update as far as the GOM goes.

Back