Jaguar I-PACE BESUV available 2018

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see two different things here...

1. YES! Tesla started off (small) but those SpC's were always BIGGER than the car's largest spec battery was so at least I'm charging at a 1c or avg rate.

I love how all these Bolt (and soon to be Leaf e-PLUS owners) will be sitting at all the CURRENTLY DEPLOYED 50kw stations with 60KwH and larger batteries and just sitting... and sitting... and sitting.. and sitting.. --- That was my nit picking..

2. You can STILL get free SpC referals and both our S & X have it. Don't even compare ANY OTHER company's to Tesla's SpC rollout.. DON'T EVEN START.

3. Not even Off-Topic but a great laugh!--- When Bjorn was charging an Ampera (Bolt) from dead and getting WOW!! 39kw!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFmiqbVXs-o

35m:18sec or so.. I guess this is what non Tesla owners come to expect... .80/c charge rate.. :lol:

JasonA said:
I see two different things here...

1. YES! Tesla started off (small) but those SpC's were always BIGGER than the car's largest spec battery was so at least I'm charging at a 1c or avg rate.

I love how all these Bolt (and soon to be Leaf e-PLUS owners) will be sitting at all the CURRENTLY DEPLOYED 50kw stations with 60KwH and larger batteries and just sitting... and sitting... and sitting.. and sitting.. --- That was my nit picking..

2. You can STILL get free SpC referals and both our S & X have it. Don't even compare ANY OTHER company's to Tesla's SpC rollout.. DON'T EVEN START.

3. Not even Off-Topic but a great laugh!--- When Bjorn was charging an Ampera (Bolt) from dead and getting WOW!! 39kw!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFmiqbVXs-o

35m:18sec or so.. I guess this is what non Tesla owners come to expect... .80/c charge rate.. :lol:
Yes, BEVs with limited charge rates are not going to be good road-trip vehicles. The LEAF's out forever unless it gets an active TMS, and the Bolt needs to have the option of having its max. charge rate increased, even if that results in greater degradation. Hopefully that will come along in the MLU. From this point onward, any BEV which wants to be considered road-trip worthy will need to be able to max. charge at ca. 1.5C+ and/or100kW or more, and not taper until 80% or more.

I agree with you (finally for a change!!) 100%

Get these new 100kw NexGen combo CHAdeMO/CCS units out there and start cranking away!

Sad state of affairs for the Baker station.. just get it done already!

JasonA said:

Get these new 100kw NexGen combo CHAdeMO/CCS units out there and start cranking away!

Yeah, I don't know what happened with that - it was supposed to be done in March or April and eVgo was continuously pimping it, and then they disappeared into a black hole and all we've heard about since are EA's high power QCs. Baker is going to be one of the most useful QCs around right away, for high income people who are likely to buy Jag, Audi and especially Porsche BEVs that can handle high-powered CCS and who are heading to Vegas.

Via ABG:
2019 Jaguar I-Pace First Drive Review | The future is now
Jaguar beats the Germans in bringing a Tesla-fighter to market
https://www.autoblog.com/2018/06/13/2019-jaguar-ipace-first-drive-review/

Jaguar's new all-electric I-Pace may be one of the brand's most significant breakthroughs. This is not just because the handsomely muscular all-wheel-drive crossover can travel 240 miles on a single charge to its 90 kWh battery. Or because it will cost a competitive $69,500 before federal and state incentives. . . .
Has anyone else seen a U.S. price quoted yet? Here's some more, just because I haven't seen this kind of 'Hunter S. Thompson wannabe' car writing since C&D in the '80s:
Jaguar has always been adept at splitting the suspension difference between German plank and American couch, and the I-Pace follows this general trend, providing a ride that is connected without feeling overly harsh, even on the optional 22-inch wheels and Pirelli P-Zero tires. (Note to self: Reserve the Instagram handle Donk-E.) But the I-Pace does something interesting. Due to its high seating position, and the low placement of its drivetrain components, it provides the sensation that the mechanical action of forward momentum is within the driver's direct and immediate control, but taking place elsewhere. There is no delay, or vagueness — the inputs are precise and it goes where you want and expect. But it induces the odd feeling that you are riding atop a maglev hovercraft. It's futuristic, uncanny, and fun.

This slightly eldritch quality is enhanced by the vehicle's Active Sound Design, an ersatz soundtrack resembling the vague and distant thrum of an entire summer camp playing with Hot Wheels cars, that emanates from the I-Pace's stereo. It's not exactly present under ordinary circumstances, though it's not exactly not present. But it truly kicks in under hard acceleration, and continues its portamento for as long as you keep the throttle nailed, which can be a long time in a car with only one gear. (You can turn it off, but it takes about a dozen actions on the upper touchscreen of the I-Pace's dual-LCD "flight deck.") This is intriguingly disconcerting on the track ­— yes we drove the I-Pace on the track — though this may not be the most unnerving thing about hustling a very quick, 5,000-pound SUV around a technically sophisticated European race circuit. Imagine a full-grown rhinoceros that had been trained, since birth, to wakeboard. It defies logic, and it does not seem to display joy in its circumstance, but it performs admirably for its category. . . .

This last system is known by the moniker "Creep Mode," though this term more aptly applies to the trucklet's integration with Amazon's omniscient Alexa. As an engineer giddily told us, Alexa can "learn" your behavior, and remind you to do things it detects you doing habitually, like stopping for an unhealthy snack or calling your side piece on your way home from work. This meddling interference in our personal life would detract from our time in the I-Pace's cabin, but, again, it can be turned off. . . .

Most of all, the I-Pace proves, by being an existing vehicle from a major manufacturer, that our fancy electric future has actually arrived. Obviously, adoption will not occur instantaneously. When the elevator was invented, people gasped in horror until personal audience or experience demonstrated that riding in the levitating capsule did not require signing a blood oath to Satan. Disruption is difficult. But, for a change, Jaguar is leading our voyage. And if that requires vroomy ersatz sound effects, we're willing to accept the bargain.

GRA said:
...Has anyone else seen a U.S. price quoted yet?...
The configurator has been up for weeks...months?

Again:

https://buildyour.jaguar.com/jag2/r/model/_/en_us/i-pace/3g930?_ga=2.237112064.148925489.1528937455-630387830.1527182936&_gac=1.242560438.1528937455.EAIaIQobChMI1O_75_fR2wIVQ41-Ch3gjwekEAAYASAAEgJv8PD_BwE&mi_u=anon-1527182936394-5255983257

Another interesting review from a Tesla owner, google translation.

Jaguar I-PACE test run

I have had the opportunity to test Jaguar I-Pace today. (Actually before the Swedish Press Test Run, although the Swedish press had been in place at the International Test Run)

It's quite exciting to get along with this and, yes, I'm already there, see the first real challenger of Tesla.
Yes, I said so. Read it again. This is actually a challenger / an alternative to Tesla!

In this post, I will not focus so much on the technical / specifications, but rather go on a little more "feeling"

But in short:
Basic price - 819,000 kr
Battery: 90 kWh Lithium ion (Liquid cooled)
Two engines, combined power 400 hp / 696 Nm
0-100 km / h - 4.8 sec
Top speed 200 km / h
Range 48 mil (WLTP mixed)
Consumption 212 kWh / km (WLTP mixed)
Fast charge - CCS - Theoretically 100 kW

But now over to the other. Feeling.

The test run took place at Trosta Park - A test / training facility north of Stockholm.
We were given the opportunity to test a number of maneuvers on track as well as to know the cars on really cool and beautiful country roads...

The first thing you get the feeling of sitting in the car is how well built it is.
You who run a Jaguar in recent years understand what I mean. Not only compared to Tesla, but they maintain a generally high standard of furnishings, details, feel, etc.

In my Tesla, I have the "Next Gen" chairs, which I like a lot, but in honesty they do not give much side support on active driving.
However, the I-Pac chairs provide really good side support and you are really well in them, both for active driving and for more relaxed driving...

To the silly "flirting" with the ICE drivers there are, for example, a fake motor noise. There seems to always be a little bit there, in the driving mode, "dynamic", it increases significantly and you did not know better, you could almost believe you had a petrol engine under the hood.
BUT, you can reduce engine noise, but do not turn off completely.
I still LOVE bouncing engines, but in an electric car I want to have it soundless...
http://teslaclubsweden.se/jaguar-i-pace-provkord/

The "fake motor noise" is not really ICE-like, to my ears.

While the idea of generated noise also seemed a little silly to me on first impression, it may not be so bad an idea for BEVs to report rapid acceleration to BEV drivers audibly, if the road noise alone is insufficient.

Think about the recent Bay Area TSLA fatality where the car lost track of the car it was following in the lane in front, then accelerated into the freeway divider, while on autopilot.

If the driver had plainly heard that acceleration, might it have elicited a timely reaction to override the autopilot failure, before the crash?

edatoakrun said:
GRA said:
...Has anyone else seen a U.S. price quoted yet?...
The configurator has been up for weeks...months?

Again:

https://buildyour.jaguar.com/jag2/r/model/_/en_us/i-pace/3g930?_ga=2.237112064.148925489.1528937455-630387830.1527182936&_gac=1.242560438.1528937455.EAIaIQobChMI1O_75_fR2wIVQ41-Ch3gjwekEAAYASAAEgJv8PD_BwE&mi_u=anon-1527182936394-5255983257
Can't say as I ever checked it, as I knew I wasn't going to be getting one.

Already listed in the Costco car buying program. Going to take a bit before I push the button to get an actual quote.
Do Jaguar dealers discount much on the other models?

I suspect it would not be quite this simple:

...the I-PACE DC-DC converter knocks out 250A at 12 Volts from the larger 90kWh battery meaning that you can stick a 3kW inverter onto the 12V battery and run your home from it...
https://electrek.co/2018/06/14/jaguar-i-pace-review-the-240-mile-luxury-sport-utility-is-everything/

But anyone able to suggest just what hardware would be required, if you could use the 12 V DC output to safely draw close-to-3 kWh, at 120/240 V?

That's more than my whole-house-and-well draw, as long as I'm not using the geothermal heat pump.

Two more videos, worth watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KISOPE5hA4w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahxjIWFS3ec

JasonA said:
I don't have a full charging profile yet, but I saw 103 kW when I started charging at a SoC of 48% earlier this week and 39 kW at 80%. That works out to ~ 1.3c and I'll guess an average 0.9 -- 1c from low battery up to 80% SoC

Tesla will likely announce SuperCharger v.3 towards the end of the year. I'm hopeful (though no specifics yet) that the new stations will let me charge at an average 1.5c from low to 80% SoC.

As for the LEAF ... DC fast charging is a joke.

JasonA said:

They better because all the DC stations I have used lately are putting out 39-43KW. Have fun charging a large pack at 40Kw with a per minute charge and don't forget to stop charging before it tapers and you are paying crazy rates.

edatoakrun said:
I suspect it would not be quite this simple:

...the I-PACE DC-DC converter knocks out 250A at 12 Volts from the larger 90kWh battery meaning that you can stick a 3kW inverter onto the 12V battery and run your home from it...
https://electrek.co/2018/06/14/jaguar-i-pace-review-the-240-mile-luxury-sport-utility-is-everything/

But anyone able to suggest just what hardware would be required, if you could use the 12 V DC output to safely draw close-to-3 kWh, at 120/240 V?

That's more than my whole-house-and-well draw, as long as I'm not using the geothermal heat pump. <snip>
Not even going to get into what equipment you'd need for a homebrew, but one of the standard inverters I used to sell back in the Off-grid AE Stone age was the Trace 2012 (2000W @ 12V). Working from quarter-century old memory here, but I think it was good for 6k surge for motor start up, 2kW for 30 minutes, and something like 1,400W continuous, all off a 12V L-A pack. We normally spec'd them with short (definitely <5') 4/0 AWG cables to handle the surge without sucking the voltage down to the Low Voltage cut-off point, although for continuous use without a big surge you could probably use 2/0 AWG cables (but I wouldn't). Point being, it can be done, but I sure as hell wouldn't recommend anyone casually mess with it, unless they're willing and able to pay if it fails a smoke test.

[Edit] Well, whaddaya know, found the 2012 owner's manual online, and my memory has held up pretty well: http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Discontinued-Products/971-9901-03-01.pdf

SageBrush said:
JasonA said:
I don't have a full charging profile yet, but I saw 103 kW when I started charging at a SoC of 48% earlier this week and 39 kW at 80%. That works out to ~ 1.3c and I'll guess an average 0.9 -- 1c from low battery up to 80% SoC

Tesla will likely announce SuperCharger v.3 towards the end of the year. I'm hopeful (though no specifics yet) that the new stations will let me charge at an average 1.5c from low to 80% SoC.

As for the LEAF ... DC fast charging is a joke.
The new SpC V3 are pretty easy to understand.. just rip out the current 11kw stacks and put in the new (and even smaller for factor) 72a chargers.. from Tony...
this GEN2 charger (72 amps max) looks like the same foot print as the GEN1 (40 amps max), which makes sense to upgrade the Superchargers.

The original 90kW Superchargers had 9 chargers (3 on each phase).

The 120kW Superchargers have 12. Somewhere in that time, they increased the output of each charger (or bumped the number up to 15) since each current Supercharger now has a 140kW output, limited to 120kW for each of the two stalls that it charges.

Just swapping in the GEN2 chargers at 72 amps into each Supercharger will nearly double the capacity, hence when Musk talks about v3 Superchargers at “200 to 250kW”, it’s clearly already possible.

Expect a flood on the market of GEN1 chargers!!

Just don't see any other manufacturer doing anything near this or rapid expansion...

^^ I'm pretty sure that the 48A and 72A chargers in Tesla models are themselves made up of smaller component bundles. Perhaps 24 A ?
You are right though that Superchargers to date have been bundles of car chargers so there is something to Tony's speculative approach. However, a faster supercharger is going to be more than just a swap of a faster component charger if it is going to increase the rate into my Model 3. After all, I'm already limited to about 114 kW Max now, which is below the current SuperCharger spec.

I presume cooling has to come into play since the voltage is set by the battery architecture. I'll guess that Tesla can upgrade the stations to provide 120 kW to each cable concurrently by just popping in higher Amp components (presuming the feed from the utility can handle the load) but I was talking about increasing the max charge rate to my Model 3.

2019 Jaguar I-Pace EV first drive: Recalibrate your expectations

Jag's well-executed electric debut leaves all the other established luxury marques playing catchup

...The Takeaway

Beyond being a very pleasant car in its own right, the I-Pace feels like the start of something. Maybe this is the moment electric vehicles begin to lose their Silicon Valley sheen -- and stigma -- and begin to really work their way into the mainstream...
Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/car-reviews/2019-jaguar-i-pace-ev-first-drive-recalibrate-your-expectations#ixzz5IvFBdMOp

Or put another way, buyers no longer have to put up with TSLA's extensive record of faults and failures...

edatoakrun said:
Or put another way, buyers no longer have to put up with TSLA's extensive record of faults and failures...
Instead they can step up to the legendary quality control and reliability of Jag-you-are. :roll:

LTLFTcomposite said:
edatoakrun said:
Instead they can step up to the legendary quality control and reliability of Jag-you-are. :roll:
It does pose an interesting question - is it possible that Jaguar could actually be better at QC than Tesla? Why, next thing you know, someone will report an MGB that's not only survived this long in running condition (without shedding any major parts), but doesn't leak oil all over their driveway, regularly refuse to start or have the entire electrical system fail repeatedly. :eek:

On a more serious note, Jaguar seems to have done an excellent job at an integrated design.

Positive reviews continue.

The existential question that more and more ICEV addicts should be asking themselves...

The All-Electric 2019 Jaguar I-Pace First Drive: So Good, It'll Keep You Up at Night

Listen up, gasheads: The fantastic new Jaguar EV will come silently in the dark and eat your young.

... Jaguar has fired the first meaningful shot at Tesla’s EV primacy, and it's not a shot across the bow. This one is a direct hit, right into the hull. The Jaguar I-Pace, which I spent two days caning on the back roads across the picturesque and impoverished farmlands of southern Portugal and on the Algarve International Circuit in Portimao, is a sporty, electric revelation.

After 30 minutes of driving the I-Pace, I began a battle in my head: Why do ICE cars even exist anymore? This car is an appealing low-slung crossover with outrageous linear acceleration and a ride that toggles between pleasant and aggro. It also has an interior that doesn’t skimp on content in the name of weight savings (EVs have always been bedeviled by chintzy design compromises). It doesn’t rattle or skitter over bumps. It is planted, fierce, and fun to drive...

The I-Pace is an expensive car, but it’s smartly-priced to grab buyers from all the Teslas, as well as other competitors like the Porsche Macan GTS, the BMW X4 M40i, and whatever crossover EVs Mercedes and Audi have coming. But Jaguar is here first, and it's built a killer with enough chops to keep an old gashead like me awake at night, fretting over the past while dreading the future a little less.

http://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/21601/the-all-electric-2019-jaguar-i-pace-first-drive-review-so-good-itll-keep-you-up-at-night

Electrifying Jaguar I-Pace Sets a Benchmark Even Tesla Will Have to Clear

Performance, handling, style and spaciousness come together to redefine the BEV.

by Paul A. Eisenstein on Jun.14, 2018

Whether on a track or a back country road the 2019 Jaguar I-Pace is a real game-changer.

I have seen – and driven – the future, and it is electric....

It is easy to fall back on clichés when trying to describe Jaguar’s first all-electric model, but it truly is electrifying, and by virtually every measure, it not only sets a benchmark for future battery-electric vehicles but also shows that BEVs can pose a direct challenge to conventional gas-powered models when it comes to not only design, interior space, comfort and utility, but performance and handling, as well...

As we plunged into that mountain stream we couldn’t help but think of the irony that a company once known for its trouble-plagued electrical technology could help transform the world of electric propulsion. But if our trip to the Algarve is any indication, the 2019 Jaguar I-Pace provides a benchmark for the emerging electric vehicle segment, proving BEVs really can do everything a gas vehicle can – and more.
http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2018/06/electrifying-jaguar-i-pace-sets-a-benchmark-even-tesla-will-have-to-clear/

A comment below on how the I-PACE shows how far JLR has come in the last decade:

I-PACE MARKS JAG'S EMERGENCE AS A MODERN ENGINEERING POWERHOUSE

Jaguar's electric crossover proves the company can compete with global tech leaders

We've covered Jaguar Land Rover thoroughly of late, charting its 10-year progress under Tata Motors and in this week's paper, exploring the marketing challenges involved with the introduction of the Jaguar I-Pace, the company's first electric vehicle.

I drove the I-Pace two weeks ago in southern Portugal for around 350 miles over two days, covering virtually every kind of terrain I-Pace buyers are likely to encounter and some they won't.

We drove up and down steep and twisty mountain roads, through a stream, off road, up the side of a mountain on a dusty road and flat out at 125 mph on a race track.

The I-Pace is the most capable vehicle Jaguar has ever engineered and developed -- a brutally fast electric sports car with a crossover body that can haul five people and their gear nearly anywhere they want to go for about as far as you'd want to drive in a day and, of course, without burning fossil fuel.

But here's the bigger picture: The I-Pace marks JLR's arrival as a first-rate engineering organization.

With JLR's powerful and efficient Ingenium engines and recent vehicles such as the Jaguar F-Type sports car, XE SV Project 8 performance sedan and Range Rover Velar, JLR is flexing some mighty engineering muscles.

But the I-Pace is an Olympic gold medal performance. The creativity in engineering on the I-Pace is impressive...

JLR may be small compared with Mercedes-Benz, BMW and Audi, but that is an advantage. One reason JLR's global sales have grown from 186,590 in 2008 to 625,109 last year is because it has very quickly rolled out new nameplates on new platforms. The I-Pace is the latest example. It took four years to go from a clean sheet design to the showroom -- perhaps a record for an EV. And JLR designed its motors in-house. All this growth has been noticed by engineers at competitors, who might spend years toiling away designing head gaskets or door handles before they get to lead development on a major system on an important vehicle...
http://autoweek.com/article/hybrid-electric-vehicles/jaguars-i-pace-marks-jags-return-first-rate-engineering#ixzz5JlbI7GcM

And a report on where JLR is going:
Jaguar Land Rover Investing $18 Billion In EVs

...The British manufacturer wants to offer electrified versions of all its ICE models and will increase its investments in this area by 26 per cent. Speaking during an investor presentation, Jaguar Land Rover said that these investments will come despite sales and revenue in the year to March not hitting the levels it had expected.

By 2025, the automaker intends on also offering hybrid versions of its ICE vehicles and if customer demand warrants it, will only offer full-electric versions of select models...

The first all-electric model built by Jaguar is the I-Pace, recently introduced as a rival to the Tesla Model X. Despite the vehicle representing Jaguar’s first attempt at an electric crossover, the reviews for the I-Pace have been overwhelmingly positive...
https://www.carscoops.com/2018/06/jaguar-land-rover-investing-18-billion-evs/

Back