Official Tesla Model 3 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
wind noise - anecdotal, but the model 3 has less of it.

Less than what? Model S? ICE vehicle? LEAF? I'm afraid the LEAF is my bar now, which is pretty high I admit.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
Phone as key isn't as big of an issue, since the keycard's functional (just requires a change of habit), however, the inability to do bluetooth calling after using the keycard to unlock and drive is royally annoying.

Functional, as a backup, yes. But definitely a step backwards if you have to take something out of your pocket to use it. Plus, my wallet is already bursting with cards & my work badge--and thanks the virtual cards I've even been able to eliminate many, but each new card is a challenge.

Not to rehash the sentiment in the Phone as Key Issues thread on TMC, but I get the fact that some people don't have keys any more and love the fact that they can eliminate one more thing from their lives. But I have to carry around keys anyway. An actual fob (that works like the LEAF's) is not a big deal. At least offer that as an option.

I hadn't even thought of the difficulty of having to explain to a valet how to use the key card. And once you explain it, are they going to have to relay that information to another valet that will be the one returning your car? And will they have a key storage system that will accomodate a key card? And how will they differentiate it from the others...I imagine they currently attach a tag to keys now. How will Tesla service centers keep the key cards straight?

What about road noise? The ones I drove had vey high trie noise compared to my S with loud tires. I found the level of all types of noise on my S to be very low and the 3 to be pretty poor on the noise transmitted from the tires at all speeds. I hear they are making improvements but the early one I drove was pretty poor and it had the smaller wheels.

lpickup said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
wind noise - anecdotal, but the model 3 has less of it.

Less than what? Model S? ICE vehicle? LEAF? I'm afraid the LEAF is my bar now, which is pretty high I admit.

Yes, less wind noise than the leaf. See my signature. I have both. :)

lpickup said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
Phone as key isn't as big of an issue, since the keycard's functional (just requires a change of habit), however, the inability to do bluetooth calling after using the keycard to unlock and drive is royally annoying.

Functional, as a backup, yes. But definitely a step backwards if you have to take something out of your pocket to use it. Plus, my wallet is already bursting with cards & my work badge--and thanks the virtual cards I've even been able to eliminate many, but each new card is a challenge.

Not to rehash the sentiment in the Phone as Key Issues thread on TMC, but I get the fact that some people don't have keys any more and love the fact that they can eliminate one more thing from their lives. But I have to carry around keys anyway. An actual fob (that works like the LEAF's) is not a big deal. At least offer that as an option.

I hadn't even thought of the difficulty of having to explain to a valet how to use the key card. And once you explain it, are they going to have to relay that information to another valet that will be the one returning your car? And will they have a key storage system that will accomodate a key card? And how will they differentiate it from the others...I imagine they currently attach a tag to keys now. How will Tesla service centers keep the key cards straight?

That's why I said it's a change of habit. If you're used to taking out the keyfob anyway, the only difference is the range at which you can open the vehicle. There are cases where that is annoying though (can't unlock from the passenger side, so your passengers have to wait until you get to the drivers side before they can get in). So the phone key works better (more features, but not better reliability) than the key fob, which works better than the keycard.

As for the valet, the keycard itself has a diagram showing how to use it (center console will instruct where to put the keycard to drive the car): https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/2740115/

And yes, the service center has a key storage system for the cards (saw it on reddit, but don't have link).

@EVDRIVER - yeah, tire noise seemed pretty loud, but again, seemed to be less than the leaf. Subjective data, I know. :(

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
That's very good news then.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
That's why I said it's a change of habit. If you're used to taking out the keyfob anyway, the only difference is the range at which you can open the vehicle.

But I don't take the keyfob out of my pocket. I just walk up to the car, press the unlock button on the handle and open the door. The fob stays in my pocket from the time I grab my keys off the keyring in the morning until I put them back at night. Well except for when I actually need to use one of the other keys on my ring anyway.

I consider the keycard approach to be only a redundant/backup solution, not the primary one. And unfortunately until/if they can make the phone more reliable (and had I not upgraded my phone recently, my phone's battery was also a concern), I feel that carrying the keycard around is a necessity.

Like I said, I get that people are in love with the phone as key thing. I am certainly not advocating taking that functionality away. I just wish they offered a traditional fob (that works the way the LEAF's does) as an option, and that the fob also had the NFC or RFID (whichever it is) functionality that the keycard has as a backup in case the BLE failed (similar to how you have the backup key in the LEAF fob and the RFID functionality in the fob itself if the LEAF's fob's battery dies). My wife's Volt actually had this happen, except she didn't know how to execute the backup procedure. It's a shame the Volt doesn't give you a fob battery low warning like the LEAF does.

lpickup said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
That's very good news then.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
That's why I said it's a change of habit. If you're used to taking out the keyfob anyway, the only difference is the range at which you can open the vehicle.

But I don't take the keyfob out of my pocket. I just walk up to the car, press the unlock button on the handle and open the door. The fob stays in my pocket from the time I grab my keys off the keyring in the morning until I put them back at night. Well except for when I actually need to use one of the other keys on my ring anyway.

I consider the keycard approach to be only a redundant/backup solution, not the primary one. And unfortunately until/if they can make the phone more reliable (and had I not upgraded my phone recently, my phone's battery was also a concern), I feel that carrying the keycard around is a necessity.

Like I said, I get that people are in love with the phone as key thing. I am certainly not advocating taking that functionality away. I just wish they offered a traditional fob (that works the way the LEAF's does) as an option, and that the fob also had the NFC or RFID (whichever it is) functionality that the keycard has as a backup in case the BLE failed (similar to how you have the backup key in the LEAF fob and the RFID functionality in the fob itself if the LEAF's fob's battery dies). My wife's Volt actually had this happen, except she didn't know how to execute the backup procedure. It's a shame the Volt doesn't give you a fob battery low warning like the LEAF does.
I'm the same --- Fob stays in my fanny pack. It has been a very reliable and uber-convenient solution for the past 15 years and a great upgrade over keys.

Its major achilles heel has been replacement cost if lost, and the nightmare involved if both Fobs are lost or even one is stolen. When the smartphone works as reliably as a Fob it will be a vastly superior replacement. In the meantime I'll tolerate the key card backup as needed.

lpickup said:

Yeah, I'd forgotten about that. I do miss the keyfob sometimes, but I forget about the phone-key-bluetooth/keycard hassle once I'm on the road. Then everything else just works right. 2-steps forwards, 1-step back?

lpickup said:
...I had heard complaints of wind noise in Model S, and I am expecting the Model 3 to be louder than the LEAF...
The noise reports seem to be quite variable and even attempts to measure noise have given mixed results. My S has hardly any wind noise — certainly no more than my LEAF — but that may be due to not having a pano roof and the associated turbulence.

My main noise is from road surfaces. In places where the road surface is sometimes quite rough, such as the Portland OR area (where I was a few days ago — supposedly the rough surface is due to use of studded snow tires, I wouldn't know) the road noise can be considerable at highway speeds. That's likely true for the Model 3 as well. I never drove my LEAF on such roads — we don't have them here — so I can't make a comparison.

I think noise is going to be a sort of "it depends" factor for most unless tested under controlled conditions and even then there are suggestions that individual cars will have different noise levels depending on the fit of window and door seals. Barring that, it will be hard to make a blanket statement that the Model 3 is or isn't noisier than the LEAF.

Before I forget, kudos to EVDRIVER and his source for the correct call on the AWD Model 3: rear PMSR* motor and front induction motor. Read it here first and it turned out to be correct!

* Permanent magnet switched reluctance

dgpcolorado said:
I think noise is going to be a sort of "it depends" factor for most unless tested under controlled conditions and even then there are suggestions that individual cars will have different noise levels depending on the fit of window and door seals. Barring that, it will be hard to make a blanket statement that the Model 3 is or isn't noisier than the LEAF.

Understood and agreed, although I'm willing to take even a subjective opinion into account. Well I should know myself in another 6 weeks or so.

I know what you mean by road noise too. Our Volt doesn't seem to suffer from wind noise, but yes, road noise is definitely present in that vehicle as compared to the LEAF.

lpickup said:
dgpcolorado said:

Understood and agreed, although I'm willing to take even a subjective opinion into account. Well I should know myself in another 6 weeks or so.

I know what you mean by road noise too. Our Volt doesn't seem to suffer from wind noise, but yes, road noise is definitely present in that vehicle as compared to the LEAF.
C&D's in-depth test of the Model 3 compares interior noise levels at 70 mph with some other BEVs (not the LEAF, but Bolt/e-Golf/Ionic BEV/i3 BEV), and it's a bit better. Note, these are quantitative numbers rather than qualitative ratings, which will obviously differ depending on the individual: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-tesla-model-3-in-depth-review-interior-and-passenger-space-review

GRA said:
... Note, these are quantitative numbers rather than qualitative ratings, which will obviously differ depending on the individual: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-tesla-model-3-in-depth-review-interior-and-passenger-space-review

UZ1XfJW.jpg

I'm willing to say that all EVs are quiet. Road noise is a different matter and to a fair degree a driver choice of tyre and inflation pressure. Nothing however will help a crappy road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzmv0ORhXlE

Good (?) news:

Sean M Mitchell

3h3 hours ago

Getting our hypermile #Model3 towed to the Service Center. After leaving it charged overnight at a Supercharger it is still not taking a charge...
https://twitter.com/seanmmitchell?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Finsideevs.com%2Ftesla-model-3-sets-new-range-record-at-606-2-miles%2F

edatoakrun said:

Good (?) news:

Sean M Mitchell

3h3 hours ago

Getting our hypermile #Model3 towed to the Service Center. After leaving it charged overnight at a Supercharger it is still not taking a charge...
https://twitter.com/seanmmitchell?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Finsideevs.com%2Ftesla-model-3-sets-new-range-record-at-606-2-miles%2F

Running hypothesis is that the 12v doesn't have enough juice to close the main contactor, so can't charge. Maybe if it were "jumped", they can start charging?

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
edatoakrun said:

Good (?) news:

Sean M Mitchell

3h3 hours ago

Running hypothesis is that the 12v doesn't have enough juice to close the main contactor, so can't charge. Maybe if it were "jumped", they can start charging?
What's the running hypothesis for the low available capacity reported, which looks to have been (roughly) confirmed by the shorter-than-expected driving range?

...Weirdly, the car was showing a lower percentage than expected and died at 66 kWh instead of 75. Additionally, when they were done they ran into difficulties charging the vehicle...
https://insideevs.com/tesla-model-3-sets-new-range-record-at-606-2-miles/

edatoakrun said:
What's the running hypothesis for the low available capacity reported, which looks to have been (roughly) confirmed by the shorter-than-expected driving range?
Who knows? What's the running hypothesis for why anyone other than the people who did this would care about such a 'completely unrelated to practical purposes' record? I here the records for flagpole sitting and marathon dancing are up for grabs as well.

Back