California retail H2 fuel stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RegGuheert said:
GRA said:
That's nice, but then that's not Toyota talking about definite timescales based on their own developments, unlike the case here.
Right. Definite timescales. Got it. 12 years ago their timescales for fuel-cell vehicle development were "not definite" and incredibly overly-optimistic. But today, their timescales are "definite" and "very conservative".

Meanwhile, all along the way, Toyota completely missed the train on BEVs, including today. I have detailed the many reasons their plan is doomed to fail. There is no reason to believe otherwise.

Sorry, but Toyota has lost all credibility in this arena. So far they've chosen to game CARB for the sole purpose of selling more gasoline powered vehicles. The longer they cling to that goal, the farther they will fall from grace.
Why Reg, I'm shocked, shocked at this reversal of your position - no one would ever have guessed from anything you've written before that you didn't support continued development and deployment of FCEVs and H2 stations, and didn't feel that Toyota and the other companies working in this area were on the right track :lol:

BTW, I wasn't aware that CARB had any jurisdiction in Denmark, Germany, Norway, the UK, Japan, China or South Korea, so that's some powerful gaming.

GRA said:
SageBrush said:
GRA said:
Via GCC: http://www.greencarcongress.com/2018/01/201801-cec.html

I need to check for these specific stations, but most of the grants now being awarded are for stations with 300 kg+ of H2 storage and two dispensers.
That is my memory as well.

300 kg is around 75 fill-ups in the Mirai. What is involved in replenishing the tank ?
I'd put it at fewer than that, once the infrastructure is dense enough to provide piece of mind, i.e. running down to say .5 kg remaining out of 5 kg, instead of people being more cautious owing to the possibility of needing to go further if their local station is U/S.

Re the bold, I don't understand what you're asking for here. Can you clarify?
I'm asking how more hydrogen is supplied.

SageBrush said:
GRA said:
SageBrush said:
That is my memory as well.

300 kg is around 75 fill-ups in the Mirai. What is involved in replenishing the tank ?
I'd put it at fewer than that, once the infrastructure is dense enough to provide piece of mind, i.e. running down to say .5 kg remaining out of 5 kg, instead of people being more cautious owing to the possibility of needing to go further if their local station is U/S.

I'd have to dig into it, but at least some of the stations in this round are 100% renewable. I think some are biomass, and the others are on-site electrolysis. The rest are the usual 33% renewable, with the rest presumably SMR. First Element said a while back that they were going to drop gaseous delivery and go over to liquid delivery and IIRR storage. I'm not sure which way Shell's going with theirs, but IIRR 300+ kg. exceeds the capacity of a single gaseous H2 trailer. I don't think any of the ones mentioned are supplied by pipeline. Was that what you wanted?
I've looked at the CEC website, but they haven't posted this award yet. These are additional sites to the ones awarded last year.

GRA said:
SageBrush said:
GRA said:

I'd have to dig into it, but at least some of the stations in this round are 100% renewable. I think some are biomass, and the others are on-site electrolysis. The rest are the usual 33% renewable, with the rest presumably SMR. First Element said a while back that they were going to drop gaseous delivery and go over to liquid delivery and IIRR storage. I'm not sure which way Shell's going with theirs, but IIRR 300+ kg. exceeds the capacity of a single gaseous H2 trailer. I don't think any of the ones mentioned are supplied by pipeline. Was that what you wanted?
I've looked at the CEC website, but they haven't posted this award yet. These are additional sites to the ones awarded last year.
Yes, thanks.

I was wondering if the H2 was trucked in, and if so from where

SageBrush said:
GRA said:
SageBrush said:
Yes, thanks.

I was wondering if the H2 was trucked in, and if so from where
I still can't find anything about this latest award on the CEC website other than the revised notice from last November, which gives the locations and proposed grants for the 5 additional stations: http://www.energy.ca.gov/contracts/GFO-15-605_NOPA_Rev_11-17.pdf

We may have to wait until the annual report for more details, but judging by the size of the awards these are likely all 300+ kg. stations.

I just found this from December, am reading it now (119 pgs.) to see if it sheds any light, and will add to the post as I progress, so keep checking back:
Joint Agency Staff Report
on Assembly Bill 8: 2017
Annual Assessment of
Time and Cost Needed to
Attain 100 Hydrogen
Refueling Stations in
California
http://www.energy.ca.gov/2017publications/CEC-600-2017-011/CEC-600-2017-011.pdf

Reading the executive summary now, and found this:
Some subregions in California experience high hydrogen fuel demand already. Of the 31 open retail stations, a few require fuel deliveries two or three times a day because of high station usage. In these high usage cases, either the station is dispensing more fuel in a day than one fuel delivery truck can hold, or the demand for fuel is exceeding the storage capacity of the station.

The 2017 Annual Evaluation concludes that long-term FCEV deployment plans continue to indicate a need for larger capacity stations to be opened at a faster pace, and the current business-as-usual scenario (funding eight 300 kg/day stations per year) may allow the supply of hydrogen dispensing capacity to keep up with demand until 2021, at which point a shortfall in capacity is expected. This capacity shortfall, which could slow down FCEV deployment when the commercial ZEV market needs to expand greatly to meet environmental goals, is critical to avoid. This report presents additional analysis around this capacity shortfall issue in Chapter 5, to better understand the implications on a regional level, and provides ideas in Chapter 7 for alternative funding mechanisms that could increase the pace of station development.
Later in the report, they mention that Anaheim and Long Beach are two stations needing more than one delivery/day, of up to 100kg. There's also a new cost and timescale estimate. Assuming an increase to 10 stations/yr from IIRR 8, they figure they'll finish all 100 in 7 years, at a total cost of $201.6m or $1.6m over the original estimate, and down from the $225 million total cost estimate of the 2016 report. 65 stations are currently funded or built, costing $131.6 million, and the remaining 35 are estimated at $70m. The reduced estimate is based on the following:
The Energy Commission developed this updated business-as-usual scenario considering the findings from
stations funded under GFO-15-605. First, 12 out of 21 awarded stations under GFO-15-605 budgeted, on
average, $1.9 million or 18 percent less than the maximum available funding amount of $2.3 million. If all
stations funded in the next solicitation receive $1.9 million, then 10 stations could be funded from the $20
million annual ARFVTP allocation.

Second, the average cost per kilogram of station capacity decreased from $8,689 to $6,409 in two years.
This cost per kilogram of hydrogen capacity for stations funded under GFO-15-605 decreased with
stations that are in many cases double the size of those funded under Program Opportunity Notice (PON)-
13-607
. Comparing all previous hydrogen station grant solicitations, the stations funded under GFO-15-
605 can fuel the greatest number of FCEVs per dollar invested. This is another sign that station
development costs are decreasing.

Third, the large volume of applications to GFO-15-605 may indicate that the market for developing and
operating hydrogen stations is strong enough for the Energy Commission to incrementally lower the
maximum available funding amount per station in future solicitations to fund more stations per fiscal
year. With these findings, funding 10 stations per year should be achievable and realistic.
The maps on pages 10-11 confirm all 5 new sites are 181-360kg. so presumably 300+ kg., as are all those previously awarded under this round except Santa Nella.

Page 14:
Figure 5 shows weekly hydrogen dispensing by the main urban regions of the state in which FCEVs are being deployed. A separate category of connector/destination includes the information from the three stations – Coalinga, Santa Barbara, and Truckee – that are outside these regions. The numbers in the figure show the average dispensed hydrogen in kilograms per day in each quarter. In the third quarter of 2017, nearly 1,300 kilograms of hydrogen were dispensed a day on average. Using the average fueling quantity of 3.1 kilograms per fill observed in the same quarter in the existing network, this amount of dispensing equates to filling nearly 420 FCEVs a day. On July 19, 2017, FirstElement Fuel’s network alone sold more than 1,000 kilograms of hydrogen in one day, or enough to fill about 320 FCEVs.
The average fill size is a bit higher than my totally unscientific noting of the typical fill at the closest station to me whenever I happened to ride by, which was around 2.6 - 2.8kg., but I haven't been by for several months. Any increase in the average fill indicates that the station density and/or reliability are increasing enough to make drivers more comfortable about using more of their range between refuelings.

According to the data collected by SOSS, the current network of 31 open retail stations in California had a 92.4 percent uptime for September 2017, on average. This means that the open retail stations were available to provide fuel to customers 92.4 percent of the time in September 2017. Of these stations, FirstElement Fuel operates 18, and it had an average station uptime of 98.5 percent during the same period. Because of the quantity of the stations that FirstElement Fuel operates at high uptime, the strong performance of these stations helps build confidence in the network among FCEV drivers.

One developer awarded under the GFO-15-605 is developing stations with two dispensers and two independent compressor/cooling chains to provide redundancy to its stations in addition to the ability to provide fuel to multiple drivers at the same time. Another set of stations awarded under GFO-15-605 will offer two fueling positions, each with an independent H70 hose allowing simultaneous fueling, in addition to one H35 hose.

Page 46:
Capital Costs of Hydrogen Refueling Stations
According to the budgets for the 21 awarded stations under GFO-15-605, the equipment, design,
engineering, construction, project management, and overhead costs (“all-in costs” include match funding)
for hydrogen refueling stations with delivered gas are nearly $2.5 million for 310 kg/day stations (for
main stations), nearly $4.0 million for 360 kg/day stations (for main stations), and nearly $2.4 million for
a 180/day station (a connector station
), as summarized in Figure 17.

The 360 kg/day stations funded under GFO-15-605 provide two independent, redundant compressors,
storage systems, and dispenser systems
. This design allows FCEV drivers to refuel even if one dispenser
goes off-line, meaning the station provides redundancy and backup to itself. Although the total cost for
the 360 kg/day stations funded under GFO-15-605 is $4 million, each of these stations is analogous to two
180 kg/day stations for $2 million each, which is a savings compared to the cost of one 180 kg/day station
at $2.4 million
. The decreases in station costs are also reflected in the Energy Commission cost per
kilogram of nameplate capacity, as shown in Figure 18.

Page 49:
Renewable Hydrogen
The Energy Commission plans to release a competitive grant solicitation (GFO-17-602) to fund the
installation of a cost-effective facility in California that will produce 100 percent renewable hydrogen from
in-state renewable resources dedicated for distribution and delivery to public hydrogen refueling stations
that serve light-duty FCEVs
. Development of the solicitation included input from stakeholders received at
staff workshops held January 30, 2017, and July 31, 2017, and is targeted for new renewable hydrogen
production with a nameplate capacity of at least 1,000 kilograms per day of 100 percent renewable
hydrogen from feedstocks sourced in California. Electricity costs to operate hydrogen production systems
will comprise a significant portion of the facilities costs, which, in turn, affect the price of hydrogen
charged to FCEV drivers.

Based on the projected fueling capacity of open and planned stations, 5,500 kg/day of renewable
hydrogen will be needed by 2022. This includes the need to meet the 33.3 percent renewable content
intended by SB 1505 for the hydrogen produced for or dispensed by fueling stations that receive state
funds. Some station developers have informed Energy Commission staff that their mission is to dispense
more than the required minimum renewable hydrogen content. Higher hydrogen demand implies there
will be increasing opportunities to produce renewable hydrogen at larger scales, bringing down costs.
Most of the rest is appendices. Appendix B shows cost estimates for various sizes (180, 350, nd 600kg./day of stations experiencing slow or fast growth, and with gaseous (180) or liquid (350, 600) delivery.

Appendix D discusses fueling trends. Page D-1:
The average utilization has increased from just 8.8 percent in Q3 2016 to more than 25.4 percent in Q3
2017. Core markets were also evaluated by excluding connector station data (Coalinga, Truckee, and Santa
Barbara). In these core markets, utilization grew from 9.8 percent in Q3 2016 to 27.7 percent in Q3 2017.
This growth is a key indicator for infrastructure utilization growth and related financial performance. As
more invested capital is used, fixed operating expenses can be spread among greater numbers of
kilograms sold.

The average fueling quantity has steadily increased from 2.8 kg/fueling in Q3 2016 to 3.1 kg/fueling in Q3
. This increase implies that drivers are becoming more comfortable with vehicle range and are able to
better use the available infrastructure coverage.
Max. utilisation is assumed to be 80%, which I imagine conforms to gas station practice. It appears my unscientific local station survey was fairly indicative of the average. Re H2 pricing, page D-2:
The overall price of hydrogen has increased by nearly 7 percent since Q3 2016 – increasing from
$14.93/kg to $15.92/kg. This increase is still not felt by most customers as vehicles on the road still
benefit from “free” fueling provided through auto manufacturer incentives. As such, competition among
stations has yet to materialize in terms of pulling demand from competitors by offering lower hydrogen
prices
. The density of hydrogen stations is also relatively sparse, and as such, customers would fuel at the
most convenient location rather than the one offering the most competitive price. As the density of
stations increases and customers begin to pay for fuel out of pocket, competition will increase. This price
pressure will translate throughout the supply chain for hydrogen, yielding opportunities for new producer
market entries as well as for increased volume and competition among existing producers.

Via GCC:
California Energy Commission approves >$2M for ops and maintenance of 16 public hydrogen refueling stations
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2018/02/20180222-cec.html

The California Energy Commission approved more than $2 million for operating and maintaining 16 publicly accessible existing hydrogen refueling stations statewide, from San Diego to Truckee. . . .
These are presumably the earlier ones funded under 13-607, and would be an extension of existing O&M subsidies.

Thousand Oaks is open, #33 (#21 in SoCal). [Added] Not sure if this is the first one, but this is the first I've noticed that shares a service island with a regular gas dispenser at a gas station.

Ontario is open, #34 (#22 in SoCal). via GCC:
. . . The Ontario station provides 100% renewable hydrogen to fuel cell electric vehicle (FCEV) drivers and is the first station in Southern California to provide all major alternative transportation fuels; it also offers biofuel, CNG, and plug-in electric charging. . . .

The Newport Beach station has been converted to full retail (i.e. the dispensers now accept debit/credit cards) and is now open, #35 (#23 in SoCal). Per the station website and presumably owing to this being one of the early dem/val stations with older tech,
This is a limited performance station. Refueling time will be longer and your range may be less than normal especially after heavy station use. Both dispensers are now operational for H70.
https://m.cafcp.org/content/newport-beach

Findings from the Executive summary of CARB's 2018 H2/FCEV report @ https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/zevpr...t.pdf?utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery

You'll have to read the report itself for all the details behind the findings.

Finding 1: California’s hydrogen fueling network has continued to mature with growth in the number
of stations, continued emphasis on a fully retail customer experience, and private investment in
station development.

Finding 2: Station development progress in the past year has remained almost completely on-schedule
compared to projections provided a year ago.

Finding 3: Auto manufacturer projections for future FCEV deployments have recovered substantially
from 2017 projections.

Finding 4: CHIT-based analyses provide recommendations for State co-funded hydrogen station location
priorities in markets across California that help meet the 2025 goals of Executive Order B-48-18. These
locations additionally ensure the developing network meets coverage and capacity needs to enable the
2030 goals expressed by the California Fuel Cell Partnership.

Finding 5: Scenario analysis through CHIT demonstrates that a path towards the EO goal of 200 stations
and the CaFCP goal of 1,000 stations can meet the hydrogen coverage, capacity, and convenience
needs of all of California’s communities, identified as Disadvantaged Communities or otherwise.

Finding 6: The pace of station development needed to meet EO B-48-18 should ensure sufficient
hydrogen fueling capacity well into 2025.

Finding 7: Due to the anticipated acceleration in hydrogen fueling network growth, sufficient fueling
capacity and coverage should be available by 2025 to enable FCEV deployments at a rate two to three
times greater than currently-reported plans.

Finding 8: Responses to the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project consumer survey provide valuable insight to
confirm fundamental assumptions and analysis methods in CHIT.

Finding 9: California’s State co-funded hydrogen fueling network is on track to meet or exceed
renewable requirements per Senate Bill 150

Finding 10: Achieving 200 stations by 2025 places California on a path to enable the CaFCP goals of
1,000 stations and 1,000,000 FCEVs by 2030 and requires acceleration of the annual station funding and
deployment rate. CARB recommends that the Energy Commission increases funds to hydrogen fueling
station deployments in its next funding program(s) to the maximum feasible extent.

Conclusions:

Conclusions
The past year has been marked by a significant positive shift in the outlook for FCEV deployment and hydrogen
fueling network development. Multiple analyses and industry commitments are pointing toward a desire for
near-term acceleration to build upon the accomplishments made to date. Within California, this would build
upon observations made only a year ago that the FCEV market had moved out of its pre-commercial phase and
into an early commercial market phase. Sustaining forward progress now requires acceleration, including financial
support and the development of a policy environment that enables growth. The right conditions can enable not
only a viable hydrogen fueling network and FCEV market, but one that is self-sustaining and independent of
ongoing State financial support. Governor Brown’s Executive Order B-48-18 provides guideposts for establishing
these conditions, and the CaFCP Vision for 2030 provides a scenario for ultimate success.

The transition to heightened ambitions for FCEV success is only possible because of the accomplishments
made to date. Hydrogen fueling network development and FCEV deployment in the past year have
maintained pace from previous years’ projections, indicating growing maturity in the hydrogen-powered
transportation system in California. Moreover, it appears that today’s FCEV drivers and the auto
manufacturers who supply the vehicles have been able to make greater use of a more limited network
than was previously envisioned. In 2012, the California Fuel Cell Partnership’s “A California Roadmap: The
Commercialization of Hydrogen Fuel Vehicles” [29] envisioned that a network of 68 hydrogen fueling stations
would need to be in place in order to begin commercial sales of vehicles.

Approximately this number of stations are currently funded, but even with 36 of the 64 open and providing
retail sales of hydrogen fuel to the public, California’s FCEV fleet has managed to grow to thousands of
vehicles. As more vehicles are deployed, the overall station network utilization rate increases, and the
business case for the Open-Retail stations improves. This provides vital proof of the future potential to
continue to improve as station technology develops to allow larger-capacity stations at lower cost, demand
from an ever-growing FCEV fleet becomes firmer, and economies of scale become increasingly apparent.

As the analyses of this report indicate, the culmination of these recent developments is a refreshed vision
of California’s hydrogen transportation future. This new vision builds on the extensive experience gained
within the state and acknowledges the potential for long-term industry development goals. Due to these
demonstrated successes and continued State support, there has been an inflection point in the conversations
around hydrogen fuel and FCEVs within California. The consensus outlook from industry and public
stakeholders is increasingly positive, and California stands well-positioned for FCEVs to step into the role they
must ultimately play in order for the State’s long-term GHG reduction goals to become a reality. . . .

Some more quotes from the Executive Summary of CARB's 2018 H2/FCEV report:
Over the past twelve months, there has been a significant
shift in the momentum of California’s hydrogen fueling
station network development and Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle
(FCEV) deployment. Growth of the on-the-road FCEV fleet
has continued to accelerate year-over-year, with 4,411 FCEVs
registered to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) as of
April 4, and the most recent industry estimates indicating a
total of 4,819 vehicles deployed through May of 2018
[1]. The
hydrogen fueling network has gained seven additional OpenRetail
stations, for totals of 36 Open-Retail and 28 additional
funded stations. . . .

The California Energy Commission (Energy Commission) also
accomplished a first-of-its-kind milestone for the State, awarding
grant funding to a hydrogen production facility to supply two
tons per day of 100% renewable hydrogen to California’s growing
network of retail fueling stations
. This project begins to address
the potential gap in hydrogen production capacity identified in
last year’s Annual Evaluation, especially in-state and renewable
hydrogen production capacity.

Projections for FCEVs and hydrogen stations in the future
have greatly increased. In January, Governor Brown issued
Executive Order (EO) B-48-18. Among other provisions, the order sets an additional hydrogen station network
development target of 200 stations by 2025
[2]. This is double the current target in Assembly Bill 8 (AB 8; Perea,
Chapter 201, Statues of 2013) but set only two years later [3]. Meeting this ambitious target clearly requires
accelerated effort on the part of the State to ensure its achievement. The EO additionally sets a target for 5
million ZEVs by 2030; FCEVs are expected to comprise a significant portion of this future ZEV fleet.

Moreover, the public/private California Fuel Cell Partnership (CaFCP) members recently published an equally
ambitious shared vision for the potential growth of the industry to 2030. In their vision, the targets of the
Executive Order are a stepping stone on the path to 1,000,000 FCEVs on the road by 2030, supported by a
network of 1,000 hydrogen stations
[4]. Predicated on the continuing development of regulatory and policy
environments sufficient to sustain this remarkably swift growth, CaFCP members anticipate:

• • diversification of hydrogen and fuel cells into other transportation sectors
    • a retail fueling experience that provides station and network convenience
    on par with today’s gasoline station network
    • hydrogen fuel that is cost-competitive with gasoline on a per-mile basis
    • the potential for increased renewable hydrogen production, and
    • a transition away from government financial support and towards industry financial self-reliance

Accomplishing these goals in such a short period of time also requires a significant change in the pace of
developments going forward, along with combined resolve and commitment from all stakeholders. . . .

Projections for on-the-road FCEV counts now exceed 23,000 in 2021 and 47,000 in 2024.
These projections represent increases over the previously reported data. While the total
number of vehicles projected in the long-term continues to grow, a path towards the goals of
the CaFCP members’ vision has not yet been conveyed through the annual survey process.

• • CARB’s scenario analysis for hydrogen fueling station network buildout in support of the CaFCP
    2030 vision can be used as a reference for evaluating proposed station locations in future funding
    programs. Developing a network similar to this reference scenario ensures balanced growth
    between markets that will need a high density of high-capacity stations to supply overlapping
    coverage and providing initial coverage in markets projected to grow soon after today’s
    first-adopter markets are established. Convenience of station locations on par with today’s
    network of 8,000 gasoline fueling stations can be achieved with 1,000 properly-placed
    hydrogen stations to enable both short- and long-distance travel
    . In addition, the network in
    this scenario is able to ensure nearly every member of a Disadvantaged Community (DAC) has
    convenient access to a hydrogen fueling station near their home by 2030, thereby broadening
    the population for whom a switch to a zero-emission FCEV is a viable transportation choice.

• Hydrogen station network growth must accelerate between now and 2024 in order to meet both
    the 2025 goals of EO B-48-18 and the 2030 goals of the CaFCP. The required acceleration would
    ensure that hydrogen fueling network coverage and capacity lead FCEV deployment and hydrogen
    demand. Therefore, if the station network goals are met, there will be ample support for auto
    manufacturers to accelerate their FCEV deployment
    plans well beyond the rates reported to date.

• The projected hydrogen refueling station network will
    continue to meet the minimum renewable
    implementation requirements of Senate Bill 1505
    (SB 1505; Lowenthal, Chapter 877, Statutes
    of 2006) [5]. By 2024, the network will dispense
    hydrogen with at least a 34% renewable
    content and the potential to reach 39% according
    to recent industry stakeholder indications. . . .

GCC:
Three new hydrogen fueling stations open in California in one week
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2018/12/20181225-cah2.html

Three new hydrogen filling stations opened in California within the span of one week, bringing the total to 39. The new stations are in Palo Alto, at LAX (Los Angeles International Airport), and in the Sacramento area.

• The Citrus Heights hydrogen station, the 37th retail hydrogen station in California, is located in the greater Sacramento area. Developed by Shell, the station will will be open 24 hours a day and is located at 6141 Greenback Lane, Citrus Heights, CA 95621.

The station is one of a few that has two fueling positions at H70. Many stations built before #37 have two nozzles, one dispensing at H70 and the other at H35. . . .

The Palo Alto hydrogen station, the 38th retail hydrogen station in California, is located in Silicon Valley. Developed by Air Liquide, the station is located at 3601 El Camino Real, Palo Alto, CA 94036

The LAX hydrogen station, the 39th retail hydrogen station in California, was also developed by Air Liquide, and is located at 10400 Aviation Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90045.

The new hydrogen station is one block south of the LAX’s primary entrance, Century Boulevard, two blocks from the 405 Freeway, and can be easily accessed from La Cienega Boulevard, several blocks north of the 105 Freeway.
I must have missed one, because the last station I had opening before this (all the way back in May) was the conversion of Newport Beach, #35. checking the site map at CAFCP it does show 39. I think the one missing is the conversion to full retail of the AC Transit station at Emeryville (and that's currently offline). There should be a considerable increase in the rate of station openings in 2019, as the second round of grants is now taking effect, and the schedule is for 59 stations to be open by the end of 2019, virtually all of which have been awarded to companies with the experience and financial resources to get them done on time.

GCC:
California Energy Commission and ARB report on status of hydrogen refueling station network
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2019/01/20190103-cah2.html

. . . Among the key takeaways of the 2018 report:

• This year, CARB approved a package of updates to the Low Carbon Fuel Standard (LCFS) regulation and included a new provision for Hydrogen Refueling Infrastructure (HRI) credit generation. HRI credits offer incentives for accelerated station deployment by providing a relatively assured revenue stream to offset part of the cost of station ownership during the early low- utilization period of the life of a new station. Combined with purchasing station equipment in larger quantities, the LCFS update may help achieve economies of scale.

Hydrogen stakeholders are focused on scaling up infrastructure to meet the longer-term vision of “a network of 1,000 hydrogen stations and a fuel cell vehicle population of up to 1,000,000 vehicles by 2030.”

California has 38 ARFVTP-funded open retail stations.

The total daily hydrogen refueling station network capacity increased from 15,000 to 17,000 kilograms in one year. This increase in capacity is due to an increase in the nameplate capacity design, from 310 kilograms per day to 500 kilograms per day, for a dozen funded stations.

There are 5,658 FCEVs sold or leased in California as of 1 December 2018. Based on auto manufacturer surveys, CARB projects 23,600 FCEVs in California by 2021 and 47,200 by 2024. A pathway to 1 million FCEVs by 2030 is not yet defined.

The time spent before station developers filed an initial permit application decreased substantially due to critical milestone requirements.

By 2024, the station network will need to provide nearly double today’s funded fueling capacity.

The full remaining ARFVTP funding allocations will be needed to meet and exceed the 100-station goal by 2024.

Public support and public funding remain necessary to achieve the 100-station goal, and more funding will be needed to support the 200-station goal. . . .
Direct Link to report:
Joint Agency Staff Report
on Assembly Bill 8: 2018
Annual Assessment of
Time and Cost Needed to
Attain 100 Hydrogen
Refueling Stations in
California
https://www.energy.ca.gov/2018publications/CEC-600-2018-008/CEC-600-2018-008.pdf

Closest H2 fueling is well over 600 miles away from me.

LEAFs and M3s seem about equally common. Most of the M3s are new, of course.

GCC:
FirstElement Fuel’s California hydrogen network receives $24M from Mitsui and Air Liquide; quadrupling its retail capacity
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2019/04/20190403-firstelement.html

FirstElement Fuel has secured $24 million to help fund the growth of its True Zero Hydrogen Network of retail stations in California, and thereby quadruple the company’s capacity to dispense retail hydrogen to customers of fuel cell electric vehicles. . . .

The growth funding from Mitsui Group’s U.S. based subsidiary Hy Solution, Inc. and Air Liquide, with each company providing $12 million, will expand its capacity from the ability to serve 7,000 fuel cell electric vehicles to more than 28,000 vehicles. . . .

Further bolstering the growth of California’s fuel cell electric vehicle market, FirstElement Fuel entered into a long-term supply agreement for liquid hydrogen with Air Liquide, which last November committed $150 million of investment to build a hydrogen production facility for the zero-emission hydrogen vehicle market.

The use of liquid hydrogen for distribution and on-site storage significantly enhances the efficiency of FirstElement Fuel’s operations and puts the company on a path to significantly scale up the performance of its stations while reducing the price of retail hydrogen to the customer.

Currently FirstElement Fuel operates 19 of its True Zero retail hydrogen stations with 12 more under development. . . .

GCC:
Iwatani acquires four hydrogen-refueling stations in California from Messer (formerly Linde)
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2019/05/20190520-iwatani.html

. . . The four retail stations are capable of supplying up to 350 kg of hydrogen per day and are located in:

West Sacramento
Mountain View
San Ramon
San Juan Capistrano

The acquisition marks Iwatani’s entry into the United States hydrogen-refueling station market and expands the company’s total global hydrogen-refueling station network to 30. Iwatani is Japan’s only fully integrated supplier of hydrogen and presently supplies to its base of 26 hydrogen-refueling stations in Japan as well as industrial customers via three liquid and ten gaseous hydrogen production plants throughout the country. . . .

GCC:
California’s 40th retail hydrogen station opens
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2019/05/20190523-ca40.html

The Sacramento, California hydrogen station is open. It is the 40th retail hydrogen station in California and the third to open in the greater Sacramento area.

The station, developed by Shell, will be open 24 hours a day and is located at 3510 Fair Oaks Boulevard, Sacramento, CA 95864.

Reflecting the ongoing evolution of hydrogen stations across California and the growing number of fuel cell electric cars (more than 6,500), the station is one of a few that has two fueling positions (i.e., two nozzles) at H70. . . .

The Sacramento station joins the Citrus Heights and West Sacramento stations to support fuel cell electric car drivers in the area.
It's been 5 months since the last new station opened, but they're now seeing the 2017 grant award stations appear. This is the first of the Shell stations under that award to open.

Back