Post your questions about the '18 LEAF 2 reveal here

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeftieBiker said:
...The Leaf's pack does get cooled when the car is moving and the air temp is below the pack temp. That wouldn't happen with a stationary car.
Gen one LEAF pack is sealed, and cooled by conduction, so the increased cooling effect from air movement when driving (never reported, AFAIK) is not likely to be very significant.

All reports so far indicate Gen two packs will do the same.

Obviously, if you are using any pack in V to H or V to G you would want to take both ambient and battery temperatures into account when choosing your charge/discharge cycle, both kW rate and depth of charge/discharge.

I have a question, will the pack capacity loss warranty based on capacity bars again and if so will they finally advertise what capacity bars mean in terms of capacity %-age? As we are learning the "thickness" of capacity bars tend to scale up with battery size which makes some of us tired of these low games.

I'm wondering if there have been any drivetrain modifications along with the more powerful motor. I wonder if the increased torque necessitated any beefier components like the gearbox or CV joints.

Valdemar said:
I have a question, will the pack capacity loss warranty based on capacity bars again and if so will they finally advertise what capacity bars mean in terms of capacity %-age? As we are learning the "thickness" of capacity bars tend to scale up with battery size which makes some of us tired of these low games.

+1

At least the bolt is warrantied with a straight percentage - 60%. With the new AA style, I'm guessing it's like the RAV4EV's indicator, which should more closely match the percentage capacity. Will need to see it firsthand to confirm.

LeftieBiker wrote:
...The Leaf's pack does get cooled when the car is moving and the air temp is below the pack temp. That wouldn't happen with a stationary car.

"Gen one LEAF pack is sealed, and cooled by conduction, so the increased cooling effect from air movement when driving (never reported, AFAIK) is not likely to be very significant."

There have been quite a few observations of pack temp dropping at highway speeds. I think I've got the answer right.

LeftieBiker said:
LeftieBiker wrote:

"Gen one LEAF pack is sealed, and cooled by conduction, so the increased cooling effect from air movement when driving (never reported, AFAIK) is not likely to be very significant."

There have been quite a few observations of pack temp dropping at highway speeds. I think I've got the answer right.
Agreed. I've seen pack temps drop on Leaf Spy while driving at highway speeds.

I think it will tend to depend on the starting point temp of the pack, outside air temp and demands on the pack.

The other evening, I noted that when I was already on the highway, my avg of my pack temps was 76.6 F and the lowest sensor read 74.1 F. By the time I arrived home, the numbers were 75.7 and 73.0 F. This was within under 20 minutes of driving, mostly highway then 50 to 55 mph expressway followed by a bit of 25 mph driving.

Outside air temp was between 55 and 60 F.

Thank you very much for posting the pictures and web links and up! :)

I was completely unaware of the existence of these "boxes"/turnkey solutions which you can tap out the energy stored in the Leaf's batteries. The was an old posting about someone connecting an inverter system to the Leaf with the hood up, tap energy to power his refrigerator or his home some years ago... (setting all that up isn't for the novice all)

So, I guess, barring the fact that this box is really *expensive* ; what else is stopping anyone from shipping this box to the US, and using it at home?

Another side question; do you know if the Honda solution: https://longtailpipe.com/2015/10/29/honda-shows-next-years-clarity-fuel-cell-car-with-power-export-via-chademo-port/
... will work with any standard Chademo port of any EV?
BTW, picked up this blurb that says it's USD$10k!!!
https://www.slashgear.com/honda-clarity-fuel-cell-vehicle-goes-on-sale-for-limited-buyers-12431285/

cwerdna said:
montreid said:
Wondering if anyone been able to get a V2H solution going.
http://www.nichicon.co.jp/english/product_news/new124.html was shown LONG ago. Apparently, at least some people use it in Japan. There was a guy in Japan on a Leaf FB group that lost 4 capacity bars within the capacity warranty. I was surprised and he mentioned he used a V2H solution, possibly that one.

I also saw and took pictures of this box intended I think for emergencies (draws power from Leaf via CHAdeMO port) and outputs 100 volts AC (household voltage there) when I was in the Nissan HQ lobby in Yokohama in Nov 2015. I believe at the top is the price of 298,000 yen. Right now, that'd be about $2723 USD.
View attachment 1
Honda has a similar box for their Clarity FCEV. I saw the vehicle and box pictured at https://longtailpipe.com/2015/10/29/honda-shows-next-years-clarity-fuel-cell-car-with-power-export-via-chademo-port/ at Tokyo Motor Show around the same time that year.

At around 2:20 of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQBupeHVJwA, the '18 Leaf Chief Vehicle Engineer said he believes as a result of the previous (currently available Leaf), about 7000 customers already installed the V2H system, including him.

Tesla allows you to set the max charge between 50%-100%. The Bolt has a "hilltop reserve" mode that only charges to 90% so you have regen when driving down the mountain.

I hate that Nissan got rid of their 80% charge mode in 2015 or so. Will the Gen2 allow you to charge to less than 100%? This is a deal killer for me if the feature is missing as battery life is killed by leaving any Lion battery soaking at 100% charge levels.

It seems the CVE's recollection might be correct. I dug around and found https://www.westernpower.co.uk/docs/Innovation/Current-projects/CarConnect/V2G-Market-Report-November-2017-v2.aspx which says "Nichicon Corporation were identified as a leader in this technology, with some 7,000 V2H installations across Japan."

Back