Tesla Supercharger Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dgpcolorado said:
GRA said:
Now they need to get started on Estes Park so it's ready by summer, and they also need one in Granby or Grand Lake to provide access to R.M. N.P. from the other end of Trail Ridge road. I see they've also got permits for the I-94/I-29 to Winnipeg route, at long last.
You will be pleased to learn that Tesla has had a "stealth" Supercharger Station under construction at Estes Park (at the Stanley Hotel). According to those who found it, all that remains is the installation of the transformer:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/supercharger-estes-park-co.114229/

Might be up and running by June and likely well before the Boulder Supercharger Station goes live.
Thanks. They'd said they had one planned last year, but nothing had been heard of it since. Assuming this opens fairly soon, this will be one of only two or three U.S. SCs that have opened this year that expand coverage to a new area, rather than just increasing density on an existing corridor. Almost all of the SCs known to be under construction are also density-boosters. Meanwhile, Gaylord, Michigan, needed to expand I-75 coverage north to the Upper Peninsula, has now been "under construction" for 7 months.

https://insideevs.com/tesla-posts-q1-2018-results/

Tesla Supercharger Info

Last quarter, we opened 77 new Supercharger locations for a total of 1,205 Supercharger stations and more than 9,300 stalls worldwide. Most of the growth is currently focused on North America to support the initial Model 3 rollout. Nevertheless, in Europe, we already operate about 400 Supercharger stations.

dgpcolorado said:
GRA said:
Now they need to get started on Estes Park so it's ready by summer, ...
Might be up and running by June and likely well before the Boulder Supercharger Station goes live.
Uz5o670.jpg

6pCLowg.jpg

scottf200 said:
dgpcolorado said:
GRA said:
Now they need to get started on Estes Park so it's ready by summer, ...
Still not official, but reported used once. As I wrote over in the Estes Park TMC thread,
Hopefully Tesla will have this one open for the Memorial Day weekend.
and it looks like they will get a gateway SC open in time for the summer vacation season, for a change. W. Yellowstone was about the only other one I can think of that started in spring and opened in time. Still nothing known on Kalispell, Kayenta , Globe, Cody, or the three needed on I-15 north of I-90, and Payson's only in 'permit' status, which can mean anything or nothing. At least we can be thankful for small favors.

jlv said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Where do you get the info for new SCs?
https://supercharge.info and click on "Changes" at the top.
As supercharge.info sometimes jumps the gun, it's always a good idea to both read the postings for that SC (click on the SC listing after opening the 'changes' link or else the individual SC icon on the map, and then the 'discuss' link), and also click on the 'web page' link, which takes you to Tesla's page for that SC. It's officially open when Tesla's web page says it is. Often, even though someone's used it a few times and reported it as open to supercharge.info, it's still under test and may be in and out of service for some time, so shouldn't be counted on.

Estes Park still hasn't officially opened, although Tesla did change the targeted opening date to "Summer 2018". Wheatland, Wy has also been reported used, but it's targeted opening just says "2018". Other than those, infills for density/capacity make up the rest of the newly opened sites, with some older sites being upgraded with more stalls

On the positive side, Tesla's updated their SC map, and for California they do list several sites (as Coming Soon, which can mean anything or nothing) which will expand coverage or provide much needed density. Among these are Redding (I-5/SR 299), Adin (Jct. SR 299/139) and Susanville (Jct. SR 36/139, near US 395), which will open up northeastern California (Alturas etc.); Kirkwood (ski area on SR 88); Merced (Jct. SR 99/140) and Mariposa (Jct. SR 49/140 route into Yosemite); Bishop (Jct. US 395/6/SR168; Williams (Jct. I-5/SR 20). Redding's been on the list for about a year so don't hold your breath for any of these, but at least it shows intention.

GRA said:
Estes Park officially opened yesterday or Monday, and Wheatland's official now too.
Boulder opened today, although it isn't on the map yet. I hope to make a road trip to Boulder this weekend to check it out, visit friends, and go home the long way via Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain NP — haven't been there in two decades.

dgpcolorado said:
GRA said:
Estes Park officially opened yesterday or Monday, and Wheatland's official now too.
Boulder opened today, although it isn't on the map yet. I hope to make a road trip to Boulder this weekend to check it out, visit friends, and go home the long way via Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain NP — haven't been there in two decades.
Oct. '92 was my last time in the park and over Trail Ridge. We slept (unofficially) in the park and got up early to watch elk (can't remember where), then headed out to Arches (spent the night and morning there), Zion (same) and then overnighted just off the road somewhere around Lone Pine so we could watch sunrise on the Whitney Cirque before heading up to Lee Vining and then west to the Bay Area. Sleeping in Arches felt like something out of Ray Bradbury's "The Martian Chronicles", and I always feel like I'm in some Roadrunner cartoon whenever I'm in Red Rock country. That was a great trip, if only limited hiking and no backpacking or climbing (was with a GF who was considering Boulder for her grad studies). I'm waiting to go back until I can (afford to) do the trip in a ZEV.

GRA said:
Boulder's official now. I see on TMC that dgpcolorado (and a bunch of others) used it yesterday. I look forward to hearing how the drive over Trail Ridge went.

Supercharging in Boulder:

41872076064_698a12372a_c.jpg

^ Only one car there at 7:30 AM on Monday morning, versus six cars at 3:35 PM on Saturday afternoon.

Supercharging at Estes Park:

42590680471_0c091d0a2e_c.jpg

The Stanley Steamer car in The Stanley Hotel in Estes Park (where the Supercharger Station is located):

41690198015_a63e4128bb_c.jpg

Via IEVS:
Tesla Supercharger Stations Get…Wait For It…Window Squeegees
https://insideevs.com/tesla-supercharger-stations-window-squeegees/

Hadn't even thought about it, but sure, as long as there's already someone to service them.
. . . One of the owners shared that the Springfield, MO station provides free coffee. According to Electrek, owners have also requested compressors to fill up their tires. Of course, this is also common at many gas stations. CEO Musk recently Tweeted that the air pumps will be added at Supercharger stations as well.
The latter is a nice to have but seems unnecessary for SCs on road trip corridors, but then I always carry a hand pump with me along with a spare etc. on them, and often a squeegee. For in town charging sites, definitely.

dgpcolorado said:
GRA said:
Boulder's official now. I see on TMC that dgpcolorado (and a bunch of others) used it yesterday. I look forward to hearing how the drive over Trail Ridge went.

Supercharging in Boulder:

^ Only one car there at 7:30 AM on Monday morning, versus six cars at 3:35 PM on Saturday afternoon.

Supercharging at Estes Park:

The Stanley Steamer car in The Stanley Hotel in Estes Park (where the Supercharger Station is located):

Nice!

GRA said:
Any energy usage info for the trip legs?
I didn't really pay attention to it. The total day's trip was 460 miles at 250 Wh/mile, nearly all of it mountain driving, except for Boulder to Loveland, and much of it at 60 to 70 mph, where possible. All of the trip was at moderately high altitude (Loveland, 5000 feet, being the low point) to high altitude (Trail Ridge Road, 12,000+ feet), which means considerably reduced drag versus sea level.

I just Supercharge enough to make the next charge stop, plus a 10% to 20% buffer, and don't worry about it. The nav system makes it so easy to know how much charge is needed that I stopped keeping records of trip legs more than a year ago. Nav even tells me how much charge I should have left at each charge stop and how long I will need to Supercharge at each stop. It also tells me in real time how much charge I will have left at the next charge stop so I can adjust my speed, if necessary, in case I hit headwinds or something like that.

GRA said:
Via IEVS:
Tesla Supercharger Stations Get…Wait For It…Window Squeegees
https://insideevs.com/tesla-supercharger-stations-window-squeegees/

Hadn't even thought about it, but sure, as long as there's already someone to service them.
. . . One of the owners shared that the Springfield, MO station provides free coffee. According to Electrek, owners have also requested compressors to fill up their tires. Of course, this is also common at many gas stations. CEO Musk recently Tweeted that the air pumps will be added at Supercharger stations as well.
The latter is a nice to have but seems unnecessary for SCs on road trip corridors, but then I always carry a hand pump with me along with a spare etc. on them, and often a squeegee. For in town charging sites, definitely.
The thing I don't get about air pumps at gas stations, or Supercharger stations, is that we are supposed to adjust tire pressure when they are cold. I would never adjust tire pressures on a trip when they are hot, unless one tire is clearly low compared to the others. I carry my own pump and gauge and sometimes check the tires in the morning before setting out for the day. A complicating factor for me is that most trips away from home involve driving to lower altitude, which lowers the tire pressure.

dgpcolorado said:
A complicating factory for me is that most trips away from home involve driving to lower altitude, which lowers the tire pressure.
Huh. Do you know why ?

Back