16 dollar TPMS sensors

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

specialgreen

Last fall, I purchased a set of four TPMS sensors for $15.88 each on eBay, for some alloy summer wheels (TireRack wanted $42 per TPMS sensor). I swapped winter/summer wheels yesterday, and the TMPS alarm came-on after about 10 minutes of driving, as expected. Today, I used the TMPS Registration function of LeafSpyPro, and it worked fine: the four sensors registered, and the new pressures are showing in LeafSpy.

FYI, my leaf is a 2017 model S. If I recall, I looked at the OEM sensors from inside my wheels, copied down the ID numbers, and then searched eBay for similar ID numbers.

The sensors I bought were from eBay seller "connectedauto" in Farmington Arkansas, with a sale title "Nissan-TIRE-PRESSURE-SENSOR-TPMS-TPM-Factory-OEM-Pacific-40700-1LA0D-TS-NS23". (PM me if that's not enough info to find the auction).

Cost was $15.88 per sensor, including shipping. Condition of the sensors was listed as "Used". Since they are used, maybe the TPMS battery will run-out tomorrow; or maybe it will run for 8 years instead of 10 years. I took a chance, and it looks like they work fine.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Do they work better than the LEAF TPMSs? Cause I have mine that say 48 PSI while LEAF Spy says 42?

They seem to read about 1 psi lower than my dial gauge, which hasn't been calibrated in 20 years... so, good enough. But my factory TPMS sensors were about 0.5 psi below the gauge reading. Definitely not 6 psi off like the ones you mention, Dave.

That is great that Leafspy can make the car relearn new sensors....

I put on new tires and rims, and had to pay Firestone $20 to marry my new tires to the car with their TPMS tool....

Learned something new!

specialgreen said:
Condition of the sensors was listed as "Used". Since they are used, maybe the TPMS battery will run-out tomorrow; or maybe it will run for 8 years instead of 10 years. I took a chance, and it looks like they work fine.

Is it possible to change the battery?

flydiver said:
specialgreen said:
maybe the TPMS battery will run-out tomorrow; or maybe it will run for 8 years instead of 10 years.
Is it possible to change the battery?

The two sets I've seen did not have battery doors.

I've noticed that tire-change places always want to replace the sensors, so someone selling large quantities of used sensors on eBay may be buying them from dealers and tire shops. If so, then a rough guess would be that they are about "1 tire lifetime" old, which is probably 3 to 4 years, on average. That could mean they have about half the battery life of a new TPMS. Viewed in that light, you might just get new ones for $42, and expect twice the battery life. But if your tire shop is going to replace them next time you get new tires, then that doesn't buy you anything.

I mount my own tires, so I can replace a TPMS when it dies. So used works for me.

Back