Control Pilot from charge port twisted/bent and it is not fitting on charger

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gzajdman

Hi All,

Please excuse my ignorance but here goes my question:
The other day I tried to charge my 2014 Leaf at a public charging station and it seems that I forced the Control Pilot from the charge port and now it is not straight, it is bent a little to the side so now my charger at home does not work, my question is if I can use a screwdriver to try to straighten it?? is it safe to do that or is it live with electricity?

Thanks in advance for your help/guidance.

It's not live, and if you break it further, you're really no worse off than you are now. The pilot signal doesn't carry any significant voltage, so I'd say go ahead and try.

Too easy to touch other pins. Turn off the juice !

I would try small needle nosed pliars first with an intent to straighten rather than bend the affected pin.

SageBrush said:

I would try small needle nosed pliars first with an intent to straighten rather than bend the affected pin.
He's talking about the car inlet. There's nothing there when the car isn't charging.

davewill said:
SageBrush said:

He's talking about the car inlet. There's nothing there when the car isn't charging.
Thanks, my mistake.

Are the pins energized by the 12v ?

SageBrush said:
davewill said:
SageBrush said:

Thanks, my mistake.

The pilot is +/-12v, but it's energized by the EVSE. The proximity pin is pulled up to 12v by the car, but it should be current limited enough that even a dead short would not cause a problem. It certainly couldn't shock someone.

davewill said:
SageBrush said:
davewill said:
Thanks, my mistake.

The pilot is +/-12v, but it's energized by the EVSE. The proximity pin is pulled up to 12v by the car, but it should be current limited enough that even a dead short would not cause a problem. It certainly couldn't shock someone.
I was not thinking of danger to the person, but damage to the charging system from a short.

Any reason to not disconnect the 12v battery before hand ?

SageBrush said:
I was not thinking of danger to the person, but damage to the charging system from a short.

Any reason to not disconnect the 12v battery before hand ?
No, but there's also no reason to do so. Had it been the EVSE end, I would have had him disconnect the power, but in truth that end is pretty much as safe as the car end. The whole system is designed to make it impossible to shock or break anything by touching. You could short the pilot or the proximity to ground and nothing would happen.

Back