2018 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reagle said:
Just got a local quote.
Seems rather crazy- did Nissan stop passing the whole $7500 tax credit through in April?
I see $3150 Lease cash and $2k NY rebate, but nothing else:

Lease Terms: 36 months, 12k miles/year
Vehicle: NEW 2018 Nissan Leaf SV

Options/Accessories: SV All Weather Package, SV Technology Package, Splash Guards, Premium Paint, Carpeted Floor Mats and Cargo Area Mat

Total MSRP + Destination: $37,250
Selling price: $35,720
Total Discount: $1,530
Additional Fees, License (See below): $907
NY TAX: $2,052

Down Payment: $0
Capitalized Cost Reduction: $5,150
Adjusted Capitalized Cost: $33,529.50
Residual Value: $16,017.50
Depreciation: $17,512
Rent Charge: $1,177.20
MF: 0.00066

Base Monthly Payment: $519.14
Monthly Tax: $33.66
Total Monthly Payment: $519.14

State & Local Tax Rate: 8.25%
Title, License, Registration: $$257
Acquisition Fee: $595.00

Don't do it

This is Dorschel Nissan in Rochester NY.
Their argument was it's an expensive car,
I guess with only two dealers in the area having a grand total of 7 cars in stock, they feel like they can set their margins.
So obviously no plans to go ahead, but I wonder- what flexibility does the dealer have in setting the terms vs what Nissan sets?
I.e. which of these numbers do they decide on vs corporate? And which of these are negotiable, besides the obvious one - selling price?

Looking at competition makes this even more insane. I can get Chevy Bolt lease for under $8k on a good day, 10k on a typical day, or something like Honda Clarity for 12k-ish, so $20k lease for a Leaf is absurd

So obviously no plans to go ahead, but I wonder- what flexibility does the dealer have in setting the terms vs what Nissan sets?

AFAIK, NMAC still passes on 100% of the Federal credit to the lessee, so that dealer seems to be trying to steal most of it for themselves.

So if I read it correctly, they have:
$7500 federal tax credit
$3150 lease cash,
plus our NYS $2k rebate.
So the cap cost reduction is looking more like a sum of all these, or $12,650?

The one dealer I got a lease quote from claimed the $7500 tax credit was not being passed down. They also claimed I could take the tax credit on a lease. Someone with a new LEAF at the last Drive Electric day was insisting he could take the tax credit on a lease also. Maybe he bought from these idiots. However, I am getting concerned that NMAC is not passing down the full $7500. I will try different dealers soon and see how many different stories I get :(

I don't know if it's the local dealers, or NIssan dealers in general, but getting a detailed quote from them is a workout. I tried to get one from the other local dealer with stock and it's a hassle. They all want to get you in the building before talking numbers..Coupled with the low stock but also apparently low demand, they don't seem to be trying to sell

LeftieBiker said:

AFAIK, NMAC still passes on 100% of the Federal credit to the lessee, so that dealer seems to be trying to steal most of it for themselves.
I don't think the dealership is taking the credit. It is bundled into the residual. The real story here is that Nissan is so far holding firm to a rational depreciation of about 63%. I don't expect that to change before Q4 --- if at all. It will depend on their sales targets and could well be limited to CARB states.

like2bike said:
The one dealer I got a lease quote from claimed the $7500 tax credit was not being passed down. They also claimed I could take the tax credit on a lease. Someone with a new LEAF at the last Drive Electric day was insisting he could take the tax credit on a lease also. Maybe he bought from these idiots. However, I am getting concerned that NMAC is not passing down the full $7500. I will try different dealers soon and see how many different stories I get :(

Nissan is still discounting the tax credit on leases and you CANNOT claim the credit for yourself on the lease. I would just start emailing dealers in the area.

You folks are tripping over the wording, and muddying the waters. Here is how it works, simply:

NMAC, as the owner of the car, gets the $7500 Federal credit. They pass the full $7500 on to the lessee as a reduction in the selling price. (It appears that dealers can steal some of this money, though, if they really want to do so.) So while a lessee gets nothing from the Federal government, they get a $7500 reduction in the cost of the car they are leasing - unless a dealer steps in and pockets part of it.

That was actually my question- where should you see that credit show up on a lease quote? As a cap cost reduction? All I see is 5.1k which is Nissan lease cash and NYSERDA 2k rebate

I believe they list it as part of the "Nissan lease cash" so that's where the dealership is holding it back. I think I'm seeing that here, too, but then the NMAC site indicates that the $7500 is included in their lease quotes. So you may want to do what we did when we had trouble getting a good deal on our Prius PHEV: tell the dealer you want the exact terms of the national lease offer, with the additional NYSERDA $2k taken off the selling price. I believe that Nissan dealers, like Toyota dealers, have to offer the nationally advertised lease deals.

Reagle said:
That was actually my question- where should you see that credit show up on a lease quote? As a cap cost reduction? All I see is 5.1k which is Nissan lease cash and NYSERDA 2k rebate

It will be part of Capitalized Cost reduction. That will be any lease cash, incentives, etc. minus first month payment, fees, taxes, etc.

I should add that each state is different for fees, taxes, etc. But your capitalized Cost reduction should be anywhere from the low to high 9's.

**edit**

Let me clarify... The deduction from total incentives should be less than $1000 Not everyone will get something in the $9k range.

I stopped by my local Nissan dealer (Boulder Nissan) to get a free charge last weekend and they have 4 or 5 2018 models sitting in the lot. Plus about 6 or 7 used Gen 1's. I've also seen a couple driving around town. On a normal day, I'll probably see about 10 other Leafs every hour or so. There are about 8 here at work (site of 200-300) people. I guess I must be living in the Leaf capital of the world...

Back