Carwings thinks I went on a trip?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spies

Does anyone know what exactly constitutes a trip to Carwings?

I went out to try out some things in the navigation system and it seems that just turning the car on will trigger a "trip" in Carwings. I never even put my foot on the break so I went to ACC when I pushed the power button. However one needs to go from ACC to ON before it will go to OFF. Its just silly if Carwings really does record a "trip" by simply turning the car on without going anywhere. Perhaps Carwings definition of a "trip" is different than mine.

Spies said:
Does anyone know what exactly constitutes a trip to Carwings?

I went out to try out some things in the navigation system and it seems that just turning the car on will trigger a "trip" in Carwings. I never even put my foot on the break so I went to ACC when I pushed the power button. However one needs to go from ACC to ON before it will go to OFF. Its just silly if Carwings really does record a "trip" by simply turning the car on without going anywhere. Perhaps Carwings definition of a "trip" is different than mine.

No, no... the on/off button has an IR sensor that does a quick blood screen / tox check each time you touch it. Then it quickly uploads the data through CarWings. The DEA will be 'round shortly to talk to you about your little "trip". :lol: :lol: :lol:

Okay, so maybe it's not quite that advanced. I wonder if the US version of CarWings is the same as the home market version? If it's not, will it be upgraded to stamp out some of these oddities? Or maybe once the car has numerous actual trips, the false readings get kinda of smoothed out.

jhm614 said:
No, no... the on/off button has an IR sensor that does a quick blood screen / tox check each time you touch it. Then it quickly uploads the data through CarWings. The DEA will be 'round shortly to talk to you about your little "trip". :lol: :lol: :lol:
I like it!

Seriously though I think this could easily be remedied on the Carwings side by just having Carwings ignore "trips" of zero. That way they would not need to touch the software in the Leaf. Still not really sure what trigers a "trip" since I have only had my Leaf a couple of days.

Ever since the first deliveries have hit the street, there have been quite a few good and interesting suggestions for Nissan posted here. The problem is - unless someone at Nissan is tasked with spending all day reading the forum, lots of these aren't going to get back to the mother ship.

It might be of value to Nissan - and therefore to all current and future owners - if we had a sticky in "Suggestions to Nissan" that was locked - and one of the mods could paste these suggestions in as they are discussed and agreed to that it's a good thing for Nissan to see. They might even post a link to the discussion thread just in case Nissan wants to read more about the particular suggestion.

That way if Nissan really wants to get some user feedback - they can get all of the suggestions in a single thread instead of surfing all day.

LakeLeaf said:
That way if Nissan really wants to get some user feedback - they can get all of the suggestions in a single thread instead of surfing all day.

OR they could do what I suggested a while ago and hire me as the interface between Nissan corporate and the online LEAF community. The position would represent a conduit for official information from Nissan and a conduit for owner feedback to Nissan. I thought it was a brilliant idea. Nissan....not so much. :?

DarkStar said:
Per the service manual, the vehicle considers a "trip" to be made when the vehicle goes from On to Off.
Lame!

Even lamer still is the fact that one cannot go from ACC to OFF without going to ON in between so just going to ACC will always result in a "trip" eventually.

Of course it should not be too hard to have the most "trip" high score on Carwings because of this.

Spies said:
DarkStar said:
Per the service manual, the vehicle considers a "trip" to be made when the vehicle goes from On to Off.
Lame!

Even lamer still is the fact that one cannot go from ACC to OFF without going to ON in between so just going to ACC will always result in a "trip" eventually.

I had to take a "trip" today to roll the car back 3 feet to properly clean the wheels. That was lame too!

Spies said:

that would be incorrect. if you power on without foot on brake, car cannot be considered "on"

DaveinOlyWA said:
that would be incorrect. if you power on without foot on brake, car cannot be considered "on"
I wish that were true but the LEAF can certainly be ON without pressing the brake pedal. Perhaps you are thinking of READY.

From 5-8 of the manual:
POWER SWITCH OPERATION
When the power switch is pushed without depressing the brake pedal, the power switch position will change as follows.
. Push once to change to ACC.
. Push two times to change to ON.
. Push three times to change to OFF.
. Push four times to return to ACC.
. Open or close any door to return to LOCK while in the OFF position.

Does this "translation" mean:

Press once to go from OFF to ACC.
Then, later, press 3 times to go from ACC to OFF.

(This would mean: From any state; One press (or 4 quick presses) will take you to ACC, or Two quick presses will take you to ON, or Three quick presses will shut OFF.)
Thus, one can go from ACC directly to OFF.

OR, does it mean:

From OFF, press once to go to ACC
Then, later, press once (a second time) to go to from ACC to ON
Then, later, press once (a third time) to go to OFF?

(This would be: From OFF, a single press is used to toggle through ACC, ON, and OFF.)
Thus, once in ACC, you cannot turn OFF without going through ON.

This one:
garygid said:
From OFF, press once to go to ACC
Then, later, press once (a second time) to go to from ACC to ON
Then, later, press once (a third time) to go to OFF?

(This would be: From OFF, a single press is used to toggle through ACC, ON, and OFF.)
Thus, once in ACC, you cannot turn OFF without going through ON.
Here is the graphic and a little more copy from the manual:
2h3r4w5.png

*: Push while the brake pedal is depressed.
The indicator light "A" on the power switch illuminates when the power switch is in the ACC or ON position.
NOTE: If the power switch is pushed quickly or is pushed twice quickly, the switch may not function even if a chime sound is heard. Push the switch again more slowly.

Apparently ON and READY are two DIFFERENT states, right?

What is the difference between ON and ACC?

Pergaps ACC uses only the 12v battery, but ON activates the use of the traction battery also, for charging the 12v battery, and for Heating?

Then, ON does not let the car move (activate the motor), whereas READY does?

Gonewild said:
mwalsh have you exported any google map in to carwings yet?

Please let's us know how it went when you do. By the way any results in using the RSS feeds on Leaf?

Thanks

garygid said:
Apparently ON and READY are two DIFFERENT states, right?

What is the difference between ON and ACC?

Pergaps ACC uses only the 12v battery, but ON activates the use of the traction battery also, for charging the 12v battery, and for Heating?

Then, ON does not let the car move (activate the motor), whereas READY does?

Gary will let you know today but as you, i am assuming it works like a Prius

I have loaded several rss feeds into the LEAF via the Carwings portal (CNN, weather channel, local news, etc.)

When you get into the car, you can go to the Carwings menu and call up those feeds one at a time. When you do, the system downloaded the data from the data center and begins to read the RSS feed using the NAV voice. One line of text (the story headline) is displayed at the bottom of the NAV screen while the story is being read. After a few stories, it downloads more data from the same rss feed to continue.

I have mixed feelings about it. It takes several seconds to download the data, and then the NAV lady slowly talks her way through the story, mispronouncing some words along the way slightly. It's okay, I guess...

Back