The official "I got my Leaf" thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rparry51 said:
I finally received my 2018 Leaf. My dealer traded for a Leaf with a dealer in Kamloops BC. The car that I ordered, a white SV was not going to be available until at least May and maybe even late June. So when this Red SL came available and I happen to be there to ask where was my car, I jumped at it.

My salesman said he was told the delays are due to greater demand then Nissan expected. He told me Nissan was expecting about 2500 preorders before the start of production and made plans for that. Apparently there were 2500 preorders in Canada with 25,000 in the US. Take it for what you will, but they have been straight with me so far. If those orders are real than there will be a lot of Leaf’s on the road by the end of the year.

I LOVE the car. It is everything I had hoped. I actually prefer the Red colour, it is really classy. Having read just about everything there has been written since the I ordered the car in November, I do not have a problem with any of the complaints that reviewers have mentioned,

The maximum range I have not put to the test, but the range seems to be almost exactly the same as my motorcycle. My guess is the car will out do the bike in town and fall a bit short on the highway.

I will post more as I get more time with the car. It took most of Thursday to arrange the sale and insure the car. I work for the next 4 days so will give it a work out next week.

rparry

Hi congrats and that's great you were at the right place at the right time to get your Leaf quicker!

I too am Canadian (outside Toronto, ON) and am waiting for my February 24th ordered SL in Jade Frost. I was told similar ETA's and am in no rush so June would be fine. Yes, I also heard the same about larger then expected pre-orders and higher new sales once commenced.

I would say your numbers are a good representation of the demand for this new Leaf. I've heard Nissan may delivery over 60,000 globally in 2018, which does not sound like a stretch considering they had over 20,000 for 3 months (Oct to Dec) just in Japan and EU in 2017. We will definitely be seeing more on our roads in short order - I've already seen a couple near my local area (Brampton) over the past 2 weeks.

Glad you love the car and I too am looking forward to my first EV. There will always be something to complain about with any car so you have to look at the overall package and experience. I think the 2018 Leaf, even with the 40kWh pack, is still one of the best value for dollar BEVs you can get today.

I have been driving my new 2018 for about a week now. Have not put a lot of miles on it but am quite impressed.
I have some questions about the heater operation. When I took my first test drive in a new Leaf, or any Leaf for that matter,
it was -5C, very cold for around here. I was very impressed with the heater output. I checked the Heat Pump lines when I
checked under the hood, they were covered in ice showing that the heat pump had been operating. I did not know how to
check what power was being used by the heating system, so have no idea if the PTC was operating, probably was.

Something I seem to be noticing is that when you lower the temperature with the control on the heater the temperature that
the cabin is heated to seems to go up or down. However the temperature of the air coming out of the heater ducts does not
see to change. In past cars the heated air is blended with outside air to reduce the temperature, that does not seem to be happening
with the Leaf. Is this correct?

This is quite the car and I am learning new things all the time.

rparry

Hi, everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster. I've been driving LEAFs for the last 3 years (2012 SL, 2013 S, and a 2015 SV), and just got my 2018 SV two weeks ago. I'm loving it! I've only put about 500 miles on it in so far, but that's more than I would have in any of my older LEAFs.

ProPilot is good, but seems to ping-pong in the lanes a bit (I test drove a Model S with AutoPilot once, so maybe my expectations were a little high). Overall, though, it seems to work as advertised and definitely takes a lot of stress out of highway driving.

As for the range, so far the GOM range has actually been on the low side. I believe I could possibly hit 200 miles range in the perfect conditions (so far I've been on track to hit 180). I'm in Knoxville, TN so the weather is up and down, warm and freezing in the same week so I'm getting plenty of opportunities to see how each type of weather is affecting the range. Like I said, so far I haven't been disappointed.

The only thing I miss about my old cars are the heated seats/steering wheel (this one didn't have the heating package), but I can live without it. Yeah, the heater does take anywhere from 11 to 20 miles off the range, but I believe I can still hit the 151 miles that was advertised.

Comfort was a huge consideration in getting another EV. I had a back surgery a few years ago, so I have to be careful of how low a car sits and how high the seats are in the cabin. I was actually saddened (!) that the Model S I test drove had some really uncomfortable seats. Of course, there's no way I could afford one, but it was nice to at least try one out. I also test drove a Chevy Bolt, and believe me those seats are narrow! I guess I'm considered a big guy (6' 1", 230 lbs) but I've never sat in seats where my cheeks went over the sides of the seats! Maybe I just need to diet, but that was a deal breaker. The seats in the 2018 are just as comfortable as they have been in every one of my former cars. You could say I've been spoiled. :)

All in all, the car is or has met my every expectation, and then some. I've got to go now and get an OBD scanner and buy LeafSpy Pro so I can learn even more about the car than I already know. Thanks for reading, and feel free to ask any questions! I'll do my best to provide feedback!

I'm also in Knoxville and have a 2018 on order (SL).

I was doing a little bit of mapping to see how hard it would be to get to Nashville, Asheville, and Atlanta. Seems do-able, especially with your optimistic outlook on the range.

Happy driving

Draven2000 said:
Hi, everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster. I've been driving LEAFs for the last 3 years (2012 SL, 2013 S, and a 2015 SV), and just got my 2018 SV two weeks ago. I'm loving it! I've only put about 500 miles on it in so far, but that's more than I would have in any of my older LEAFs.

ProPilot is good, but seems to ping-pong in the lanes a bit (I test drove a Model S with AutoPilot once, so maybe my expectations were a little high). Overall, though, it seems to work as advertised and definitely takes a lot of stress out of highway driving.

As for the range, so far the GOM range has actually been on the low side. I believe I could possibly hit 200 miles range in the perfect conditions (so far I've been on track to hit 180). I'm in Knoxville, TN so the weather is up and down, warm and freezing in the same week so I'm getting plenty of opportunities to see how each type of weather is affecting the range. Like I said, so far I haven't been disappointed.

The only thing I miss about my old cars are the heated seats/steering wheel (this one didn't have the heating package), but I can live without it. Yeah, the heater does take anywhere from 11 to 20 miles off the range, but I believe I can still hit the 151 miles that was advertised.

Comfort was a huge consideration in getting another EV. I had a back surgery a few years ago, so I have to be careful of how low a car sits and how high the seats are in the cabin. I was actually saddened (!) that the Model S I test drove had some really uncomfortable seats. Of course, there's no way I could afford one, but it was nice to at least try one out. I also test drove a Chevy Bolt, and believe me those seats are narrow! I guess I'm considered a big guy (6' 1", 230 lbs) but I've never sat in seats where my cheeks went over the sides of the seats! Maybe I just need to diet, but that was a deal breaker. The seats in the 2018 are just as comfortable as they have been in every one of my former cars. You could say I've been spoiled. :)

All in all, the car is or has met my every expectation, and then some. I've got to go now and get an OBD scanner and buy LeafSpy Pro so I can learn even more about the car than I already know. Thanks for reading, and feel free to ask any questions! I'll do my best to provide feedback!

Hi All! I just got my 2018 SL (gun metallic). It's my first EV, and I'm really liking it. I had a Honda Accord (2005) before, and while not as spacious, the Leaf is much quieter and I like the instant torque. I'm still getting used to e-pedal, but I can see how it can be very nice (I usually get some stop-and-go traffic but my commute is a little different this week so haven't been through that yet).

I don't officially have my Leaf until Monday April 2, 2018. I was supposed to have a Volkswagen E-Golf delivered between May and June of this year. Last Friday, I received an email from the GM of the dealership indicating that Volkswagen Canada is in very short supply for this year; hence, I will not have an E-Golf in 2018. I ended up getting my deposit back and decided to look for a Leaf.
I called around and did find some Leafs available due to some customers cancelling. I eventually lucked out and got a showroom model from a new Leaf dealer. I am in the Toronto area, however had to travel about 55 kms to this dealership. They seem like a friendly honest small town dealer.

I am looking forward to owning my 1st EV. I was concerned about the Government incentive disappearing or being reduced in the near future.
My only slight concern at this time is the issues regarding DC rapid charging. It appears since there is no active cooling some people are reporting that they are only able to rapid charge 2 times in a row, at which time, the charging slows down quite a lot because of the battery getting hot.

I don't think I will generally have to worry about this too often as I don't drive a lot now and even if I had to rapid charge 2 times in a row, I should be able to get at least 400 kms if not more, being conservative.

Will update, when I get my deep blue pearl SV leaf next week. I wasn't considering this colour, but when I saw it, I really like it.

Got our 2018 SL 2 weeks ago. Loving all the toys. We're still waiting on our electrician to install our 220 plug but the trickle charge has been fine so far for our 20km commute. It drives so nicely wish I could drive it further.

29063000_10156242671187899_7496272920134549504_n.jpg

backtolifeback said:
I don't officially have my Leaf until Monday April 2, 2018. I was supposed to have a Volkswagen E-Golf delivered between May and June of this year. Last Friday, I received an email from the GM of the dealership indicating that Volkswagen Canada is in very short supply for this year; hence, I will not have an E-Golf in 2018. I ended up getting my deposit back and decided to look for a Leaf.
I called around and did find some Leafs available due to some customers cancelling. I eventually lucked out and got a showroom model from a new Leaf dealer. I am in the Toronto area, however had to travel about 55 kms to this dealership. They seem like a friendly honest small town dealer.

I am looking forward to owning my 1st EV. I was concerned about the Government incentive disappearing or being reduced in the near future.
My only slight concern at this time is the issues regarding DC rapid charging. It appears since there is no active cooling some people are reporting that they are only able to rapid charge 2 times in a row, at which time, the charging slows down quite a lot because of the battery getting hot.

I don't think I will generally have to worry about this too often as I don't drive a lot now and even if I had to rapid charge 2 times in a row, I should be able to get at least 400 kms if not more, being conservative.

Will update, when I get my deep blue pearl SV leaf next week. I wasn't considering this colour, but when I saw it, I really like it.

Hi there, I too am in the GTA and have ordered a new Leaf SL. I expect delivery in May/June and yes I too am worried about the MTO EHVIP incentives going away so I placed my order last month.

With regards to the charging issues, it's being explored by Nissan Global and more testing is being done by other EVers. I am like you that don't see myself going more than 1 or 2 rapid chargers away from home at all. However, it would be nice if Nissan can provide some revelations and a possible fix to this.

My advise is just keep watching for more news and updates on this topic, however don't worry too much about it if you don't need much Rapid Charging. The new Leaf is a great value-for-cost BEV and you will be quite happy with it, I know I will.

kennethbokor said:
backtolifeback said:

Hi there, I too am in the GTA and have ordered a new Leaf SL. I expect delivery in May/June and yes I too am worried about the MTO EHVIP incentives going away so I placed my order last month.

With regards to the charging issues, it's being explored by Nissan Global and more testing is being done by other EVers. I am like you that don't see myself going more than 1 or 2 rapid chargers away from home at all. However, it would be nice if Nissan can provide some revelations and a possible fix to this.

My advise is just keep watching for more news and updates on this topic, however don't worry too much about it if you don't need much Rapid Charging. The new Leaf is a great value-for-cost BEV and you will be quite happy with it, I know I will.

Thanks for the reply Kenneth. I enjoy your show.
I am getting exited and looking forward to getting my SV Leaf on Monday. I bought a Chargepoint home 32amp EVSE this week with 20% off due to earth day. The promo is on until April 22nd in case anybody is looking for one. Seems like a good deal as the normal price in Canada is 1049 for the hard wired unit with 25 foot cable. Cost with tax was under 950.

I had 3 quotes from different electricians. The 1st company made me think I should have done more research before buying the Leaf as the install was crazy. He told me I needed to upgrade to 200amp service as it won't pass ESA. The end price for everything was $5500.
Luckily today I had 2 other quotes. Both said that my 100amp service is fine. Price range for the other quotes were $565 including ESA report and hst. The Other was about $1400. I think you all know which company I am using. He will be calling ESA Tuesday and will come and install the same day. After the rebate for the EVSE and labour with the ESA report, I will be paying less than $900. Happy that I will get this rebate before the election.

If I can figure out how to upload a photo, I will next week. Have a great long weekend!

Just picked up our new blue SV. Ordered mid February, in Canada . Won’t get to play with it and plug in Leaf Spy until tomorrow, but initial impressions are very favorable.

The blue is really nice and matches the blue interior stitching and rear trim strip.

E pedal is great. Lane keep assist seemed to drift a bit side to side in the lane, but I did not get a chance to try on the highway. Intelligent cruise control worked well, but I personally found the default 3 bar distance was too much, and backed it off to two. Really need to do a highway test.

Alta Nissan RH, say sales for the Leaf are still strong. They have delivered 46 units to date, and have over 60 on order. Sales rep claimed this one dealer ship accounts for 9% of all Leaf sales in Canada.
They do have a red SL on the floor now. They are proceeding on the expectation that the Ontario rebate will be reduced to about $5k after the election, and that existing deals will be honored for about 90 days after the change.

They have not heard any encouraging words on availability of 2019 model with a larger battery, and are taking a we will believe it when we see it approach.

I asked about the poor performance of the app, and he explained this was a mistake made by Nissan. To save costs, they went with satellite radio data, rather than 3G. There is apparently no SIM card or 3G modem in the Leaf sold in Canada. This makes it slower, and satellite reception dependent. I have read on this forum that earlier Leafs in the US did have 3G and SIM cards. Can anybody else confirm this?

Before buying the 2018, we had a 2015 Leaf, bought in 2014.

LeftieBiker said:
My advise is just keep watching for more news and updates on this topic, however don't worry too much about it if you don't need much Rapid Charging.

There is still an elephant in the room, and that elephant is battery pack life.

With an 8 year, 3 bar warranty, I am not too worried about that. The Leaf we bought in 2014 and just sold, only recently dropped one bar. However this is a more dense battery pack.

kmartyn said:
I asked about the poor performance of the app, and he explained this was a mistake made by Nissan. To save costs, they went with satellite radio data, rather than 3G. There is apparently no SIM card or 3G modem in the Leaf sold in Canada. This makes it slower, and satellite reception dependent. I have read on this forum that earlier Leafs in the US did have 3G and SIM cards. Can anybody else confirm this?

The story does not sound right. Satellite communication would be a terrible idea in the city, because it require to have the sky visible. I have spoke to the technical support about connection issues on our new Leaf and they have some software issues with their server not communicating properly with new Leafs. The Serius XM that provides communication service is in the US and serves both Canadian and US Nissans and Infinitis. The info screen on the Leaf shows IMEI and other cellular information. I suggest to call NissanConnect support and complain about the issue. Even if they know about it more people complain faster it will be resolved.

kmartyn said:
Just picked up our new blue SV. Ordered mid February, in Canada . Won’t get to play with it and plug in Leaf Spy until tomorrow, but initial impressions are very favorable.

The blue is really nice and matches the blue interior stitching and rear trim strip.

E pedal is great. Lane keep assist seemed to drift a bit side to side in the lane, but I did not get a chance to try on the highway. Intelligent cruise control worked well, but I personally found the default 3 bar distance was too much, and backed it off to two. Really need to do a highway test.

Alta Nissan RH, say sales for the Leaf are still strong. They have delivered 46 units to date, and have over 60 on order. Sales rep claimed this one dealer ship accounts for 9% of all Leaf sales in Canada.
They do have a red SL on the floor now. They are proceeding on the expectation that the Ontario rebate will be reduced to about $5k after the election, and that existing deals will be honored for about 90 days after the change.

They have not heard any encouraging words on availability of 2019 model with a larger battery, and are taking a we will believe it when we see it approach.

Hi thanks for the info. The EHVIP info is new to me and I'm going to try to get this confirmed.

For the 60 kWh model, I've heard from a source that won't be shipping until 2020 with production starting late next year. So if you are waiting for that, it will be 2 years by the looks of it.

kmartyn said:

Congratulation on your new Leaf. I too picked up my blue SV this week. I also love the colour. So far, I am loving it. Have been using it in Drive, B mode as well as Epedal in both of those modes. When I drove home from the dealership on the highway, I noticed the range really dropping. I will have to test more on the highway in the future to better judge. In the city, it's been great. With the heat on, it does show a drop in range of about 20kms or so. I had a Chargepoint home charger installed yesterday and it passed ESA today, so I will mail in the rebate this week. I was concerned as I had the EVSE plugged in all night yesterday while is was raining really hard. It didn't seem to be an issue today, however I don't know if all the rain can cause future issues on the Leaf.

It's fine to charge in the rain. If you use a portable EVSE make sure that it is protected at the plug, and at least with the older ones, covered at the "brick" section if possible.

Last week I traded in my nearly-new 2017 Leaf SV for a Jade Frost 2018 Leaf SV, with the Cold Weather and Technology packages. I leased the 2017 Leaf as a replacement for my 2013 SV late last year for $100/month with $3000 down, and we loved that car (and the price!). But, the 2018 model seemed improved in almost every way. I test drove one for an hour last October, and liked the instrument layout, improved soundproofing, and ProPilot. So, with the Washington State sales tax exemption expiring here at the end of the month, I asked around at several local Nissan dealerships, and found one that seemed absolutely desperate to get rid of their new Leafs. In the end, they paid off my lease and $3000 downpayment, and sold me the 2018 for $32,600, including all fees, accessories, and a small bit of sales tax.

We've only had the new Leaf for a week and have put about 400 miles on it so far, but we really like the car so far. It really is much quieter inside than the older model, and we seem to be getting slightly better mileage from it as well, by a bit over 5%. Also, ProPilot really does make freeway driving more relaxing for us, and we really like how the navigation system now puts clear turn information right in the driver's display. That said, I do wish it had real A/C vents to the back seats for my kids, and I worry some about quick charging on our longer trips. We drive 300-500 miles in a day maybe ten times a year, and my rough calculations suggest that despite the more aggressive charging taper we should still save time on those trips compared to the 30kWh Leaf, but it will be disappointing if they end up taking even longer!

Just joined the forum as I picked up my new 2018 SL on Wednesday 9th. I bought off the lot here in Springfield VA getting the only Scarlet Ember SL within a hundred mile radius. This trim and colour combination seem to be fairly rare in this area.

Not new to the Leaf family, my wife drives a 2016 SV for her daily commute in DC, I have always liked the way that it drives the few times a have got behind the wheel. My daily drive for the last 3 years has been a Ford Fusion Energi. Love the car, the handling it's comfort and tech but the lease is almost up and as Ford have done nothing to really improve their EV car range I decided to look elsewhere.

After a month of research and test driving I plumped for the Leaf after test driving an SV last weekend. Did consider the Bolt and Honda Clarity but neither matched overall package of the Leaf.

Picked up my 2018 SL Jade Frost. Delivery experience was great, even though I already knew most about the features and driving the car anyway. Love it, love it.

I'll post a pic when the OP let me do it.

Back