Official Tesla Model 3 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
palmermd said:
WooHooo. I just (yesterday evening) got the email invitation to configure my car. As far as I know I'm the first (or at least the first batch) one to be invited who is not a previous Tesla owner. I could have configured and placed the order last night if I wanted a $49k car, but we plan to just wait for the standard range option to become available and save $9k.
If you lose the $7500 tax credit in the process, is that really much of a savings?

I can order any time, so I'll just see how the timing on the expiration works. But as a cash buyer, If i bought today, I would not see the $7500 for another year from now, and with the way the stock market is going, the $49k in the "bank" may earn me $7500 by then. And it will not all disappear at once as you are well aware (it phases out).

palmermd said:
WooHooo. I just (yesterday evening) got the email invitation to configure my car. As far as I know I'm the first (or at least the first batch) one to be invited who is not a previous Tesla owner.

Sorry to disappoint, but you're in the 3rd non-owner batch (assuming your ability to configure just went live and it's not just a case of them getting caught up on e-mails).

First ones were 2/22, 2/28, and now this one.

Still, congratulations on the invite!

palmermd said:
WooHooo. I just (yesterday evening) got the email invitation to configure my car. As far as I know I'm the first (or at least the first batch) one to be invited who is not a previous Tesla owner. I could have configured and placed the order last night if I wanted a $49k car, but we plan to just wait for the standard range option to become available and save $9k.

Even though we are still waiting, its exciting to see the changes to the MyTesla page with the option to configure and purchase the car.

I see there is an SC slated for MB, not sure where they are going to put it though. Perhaps at the Pier?

palmermd said:
WooHooo. I just (yesterday evening) got the email invitation to configure my car. ...
Congratulations!
My wife just decide to trade in her Model X for the Model 3 after driving mine around.
Looking forward to the future!

palmermd said:
... If i bought today, I would not see the $7500 for another year from now, and with the way the stock market is going, the $49k in the "bank" may earn me $7500 by then...
Anecdotal evidence that a Venn diagram showing those who believe in the greater fool theory of investing may significantly coincide with the model 3 buyer base.

TSLA has lost many billions of dollars selling cars during the last decade, during one of the most fantastic bubbles of asset overvaluation in history, in everything from stocks and bonds to real estate.

I wonder what will happen to Tesla sales (including model 3) when the TSLA hits the fan?

edatoakrun said:
palmermd said:
... If i bought today, I would not see the $7500 for another year from now, and with the way the stock market is going, the $49k in the "bank" may earn me $7500 by then...
Anecdotal evidence that a Venn diagram showing those who believe in the greater fool theory of investing may significantly coincide with the model 3 buyer base.

TSLA has lost many billions of dollars selling cars during the last decade, during one of the most fantastic bubbles of asset overvaluation in history, in everything from stocks and bonds to real estate.

I wonder what will happen to Tesla sales (including model 3) when the TSLA hits the fan?

So glad we have people like you to help us though all this. I'm confident Palmermd will now cancel his order. Or you could consider people make informed decisions knowing any risks.

lpickup said:
palmermd said:
WooHooo. I just (yesterday evening) got the email invitation to configure my car. As far as I know I'm the first (or at least the first batch) one to be invited who is not a previous Tesla owner.

Sorry to disappoint, but you're in the 3rd non-owner batch (assuming your ability to configure just went live and it's not just a case of them getting caught up on e-mails).

First ones were 2/22, 2/28, and now this one.

Still, congratulations on the invite!

Cool. I'd not been paying that close attention and did not know about the earlier releases of invitations to non-owners. Not being first is not really all that disappointing since I did not expect to get the invite given that I had indicated to Tesla that I would be waiting for the standard battery instead of the optional long range battery.

Model 3's are starting to show up at Dealer auctions. Here are two that look like they were deals that were unwound by a bank. Probably because the buyer had credit problems.

TeslaMode3auction.png

Why anyone ever believed the battery bottleneck excuse for the model 3 production failures when the rest of the model 3 was so poorly made is beyond me.

On the positive side, it sounds like ~60% of the model 3's parts are built correctly the first time...

Tesla employees say automaker is churning out a high volume of flawed parts requiring costly rework

...Luxury automaker Tesla is manufacturing a surprisingly high ratio of flawed parts and vehicles, according to several current and former employees, leading to more rework and repairs than can be contained at its factory in Fremont, California.

Tesla's future as a mass-market carmaker hinges on efficient, automated production of the Model 3, which more than 400,000 people have already reserved, paying $1,000 refundable fees to do so. Musk said in July 2017 that Tesla would probably be making 20,000 Model 3s per month by December.

One current Tesla engineer estimated that 40 percent of the parts made or received at its Fremont factory require rework. The need for reviews of parts coming off the line, and rework, has contributed to Model 3 delays, the engineer said.

Another current employee from Tesla's Fremont factory said the company's defect rate is so high that it's hard to hit production targets. Inability to hit the numbers is in turn hurting employee morale...

Tesla has acknowledged problems with production of batteries, but said it is still on track to meet its target of 2,500 Model 3s per week by the end of March, and 5,000 Model 3s per week by the end of the second quarter...
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/14/tesla-manufacturing-high-volume-of-flawed-parts-employees.html

edatoakrun said:
Why anyone ever believed the battery bottleneck excuse for the model 3 production failures when the rest of the model 3 was so poorly made is beyond me.

On the positive side, it sounds like ~60% of the model 3's parts are built correctly the first time...

Tesla employees say automaker is churning out a high volume of flawed parts requiring costly rework

...Luxury automaker Tesla is manufacturing a surprisingly high ratio of flawed parts and vehicles, according to several current and former employees, leading to more rework and repairs than can be contained at its factory in Fremont, California.

Tesla's future as a mass-market carmaker hinges on efficient, automated production of the Model 3, which more than 400,000 people have already reserved, paying $1,000 refundable fees to do so. Musk said in July 2017 that Tesla would probably be making 20,000 Model 3s per month by December.

One current Tesla engineer estimated that 40 percent of the parts made or received at its Fremont factory require rework. The need for reviews of parts coming off the line, and rework, has contributed to Model 3 delays, the engineer said.

Another current employee from Tesla's Fremont factory said the company's defect rate is so high that it's hard to hit production targets. Inability to hit the numbers is in turn hurting employee morale...

Tesla has acknowledged problems with production of batteries, but said it is still on track to meet its target of 2,500 Model 3s per week by the end of March, and 5,000 Model 3s per week by the end of the second quarter...
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/14/tesla-manufacturing-high-volume-of-flawed-parts-employees.html

I think all of those statements are highly subjective. Clearly there are production issues and fit issues that will be addressed over time. "Parts" is a loose term. Just like the many motor failures that have never happened so many things are getting hyped into something else. There is a big difference is poorly made and poorly assembled. You can have a perfectly assembled car that is poorly made.

Ed? Is you full time occupation searching the web to find articles like this? :roll: Are you worried the car may just turn out to be a success or are you just here to pile on Tesla because like some other people here you just inherently hate them for their evil EV deeds?

EVDRIVER said:
Ed? Is you full time occupation searching the web to find articles like this? :roll: Are you worried the car may just turn out to be a success or are you just here to pile on Tesla because like some other people here you just inherently hate them for their evil EV deeds?

I think he's just highlighting some of his work posing as a "Tesla employee" and making the news media rounds!

lpickup said:
EVDRIVER said:

I think he's just highlighting some of his work posing as a "Tesla employee" and making the news media rounds!

Yes, lot's of "Tesla employee" quotes our there have also been found to be highly fabricated. If Tesla did not build EVs no one would care.

RegGuheert said:
If you lose the $7500 tax credit in the process, is that really much of a savings?

I've actually gotten to the point where I'm not sweating the $7500 tax credit anymore. My delivery date for a base Model 3 has been pushed off until "Late 2018". Worst case, the full $7500 tax credit will run out September 30, 2018, but that also means that there will still be a $3750 tax credit in effect until March 31, 2019. So, $36,000 - $3750 = $32,250, still a fantastic deal for a Tesla, and about the same I paid for my 2012 Leaf with the full $7500 tax credit. The Model 3 will have 3X the range of my Leaf, much higher highway efficiency, a proper TMS system, much faster 0-60 than my Leaf, and it will be Supercharger enabled so I can actually GO somewhere, whereas the Leaf has never strayed more than 90 miles from home. I don't think that I also need to mention that the Model 3 handles like a sports car and is BEAUTIFUL, something no one has ever said about Pearl. I have pretty much made peace with the fact that I won't get the full tax credit if I wait for a base model, unless something comes along that changes my mind. They *might* make the AWD model available before that without the now-mandatory PUP, which could make me bite sooner.

keydiver said:
RegGuheert said:

I've actually gotten to the point where I'm not sweating the $7500 tax credit anymore. My delivery date for a base Model 3 has been pushed off until "Late 2018". Worst case, the full $7500 tax credit will run out September 30, 2018, but that also means that there will still be a $3750 tax credit in effect until March 31, 2019. So, $36,000 - $3750 = $32,250, still a fantastic deal for a Tesla, and about the same I paid for my 2012 Leaf with the full $7500 tax credit. The Model 3 will have 3X the range of my Leaf, much higher highway efficiency, a proper TMS system, much faster 0-60 than my Leaf, and it will be Supercharger enabled so I can actually GO somewhere, whereas the Leaf has never strayed more than 90 miles from home. I don't think that I also need to mention that the Model 3 handles like a sports car and is BEAUTIFUL, something no one has ever said about Pearl. I have pretty much made peace with the fact that I won't get the full tax credit if I wait for a base model, unless something comes along that changes my mind. They *might* make the AWD model available before that without the now-mandatory PUP, which could make me bite sooner.

You mean if Tesla is still around!

I believe there is a significant AP update that is going to be rolled out to some cars soon. The OTA updates are really great and it's great to see new features added and improvements made.

The updates that I'm really waiting for are the ones with additional voice commands, to shut all the whiners up that don't like having everything on the touch screen.

keydiver said:
The updates that I'm really waiting for are the ones with additional voice commands, to shut all the whiners up that don't like having everything on the touch screen.

Yes, that will be a big one.

EVDRIVER said:
I believe there is a significant AP update that is going to be rolled out to some cars soon. The OTA updates are really great and it's great to see new features added and improvements made.
Starting yesterday 'it' has been rolled out on S/X AP2.0+ vehicles -- 2018.10.4 8bbdc66

Looks like a new Neural Network (NN) for object recognition that has been in beta for a while. Rollout has been pretty fast so far. Many discussions, common test routes being retested, and larger 'confidence' feel being touted. I did get the update tonight but have not tested it.

Back