back door / hatchback won't open

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdupret

Hi!

I have a leaf 2013. A piece of cloth got trapped into the back door lock, and now the door would not open. This is the second time this happens and it cost me 160$ last time I had it fixed, I know there is a manual lock somewhere we can access from within the trunk, but I don't manage to locate it, much less to access it. I saw this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWZnio-o7F8, but the little plastic door the author opens is not present on my model. Any suggestion?

Thank you,
Georges

I also have a 2013 and although that access panel is not present, there is a small slot in the same location that is clearly meant for accessing the lock mechanism. I looked in there with a flashlight and could see several parts, though it wasn't immediately obvious what you'd need to do. I didn't pay much attention to the video, but probably you'd just do the same thing he showed, only you'd access it through the slot.

The same thing happened to me two weeks ago when my son slammed the nylon strap of a backpack into the latch on our MY2011 LEAF. I could not get it to open, even though I yanked on it pretty hard. I was about to try to access the little hatch, but my son managed to get it to come open by pushing and pulling on the handle until it came free. (I had tried this, but I stopped once I started to feel the plastic handle deforming.)

Good luck! I suspect brotherjethro has the right idea about how to proceed in your LEAF.

I finally managed to open it as brotherjethro described: with a flash light it is possible to distinguish the mechanism made out of a whithish plastic. There is a small cavity on the top of the mechanisim (it is almost possible to see it in the video) in which I inserted the head of a parker screw driver that I then slide sideways. Thank you for the suggestions.

Similar problem with my 2016 Leaf, boot lock refuses to open on the button sometimes, usually first thing, will open if I press the key, but not on the button. When it happens, door releases also fail to open doors on push buttons. After opening with key all work on their buttons, so circuits still functioning. Only just started doing this, every time I try after it's been parked overnight, and after using key once it seems to clear. Irritating rather than worrying but I wonder if it will develop into something worse. Something for the next service/MOT I guess.

I have exactly the same issue with my 2021 SV except the handy dandy hatch that allows access isn't present on the 2021 any ideas?

I had some funny behavior recently with my key and it all went away when I replaced the battery inside the FOB. I can't remember the details but it was weird - car would start but door locks wouldn't work with buttons but worked from FOB, etc. Everything is back to normal after new battery.

Back