So, owners what range are you getting ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wlegro said:
Well, we have to sell it, and given what I've seen of the resale value, we could never get back that $6,000. It's a conundrum - a $37,000 car (minus the tax credit and rebate) that's only 5 years old, and we're looking at having to sell it for what? $2,000 if we're lucky? Who would want such a car? We wish we could keep it, but we simply don't have room, and we can't add on to the carport - and besides it would a constant shuffle of cars parked behind each other.

Hmmm...maybe we could donate it to NPR...
If it is only 5 years old, does it still qualify for the capacity warranty? You might be able to get a new battery in it and then the range will jump back up, as will the value.

2014 Leaf, 107 500km with 2-3% capacity drop. Range from 100% down to turtle:
Exactly 100km with nippy 60%highway + 40%city and warm cabin, outside down to -5*C.
If I try to go slower, I can get 110km. In summer and spirited driving: up to 120km.

I've had these range numbers for 4 summers and 4 winters. Extremely boring degradation.

Resetting the battery means the Columb counter that is used to estimate the range. The BMS has a learning algorithm that compares that actual range to the expected and updates the estimates accordingly so that it more accurately represents the actual battery capacity. Resetting it did nothing but put it back to the factory setting when new. A few driving cycles and you will be back to where you were. By now you should know that, WLegro.

I'm looking at the new 2018 series with a 270km range, because even if I live in a city where everything's nearby, there's no such thing as "enough range" on a car.

... editing my message, sorry, I didn't get the question right, and forgot to look at the other messages. I think I'll read what you have all written with attention, as it will affect my choice for a new electric car.

RagnitePowered said:
I'm looking at the new 2018 series with a 270km range, because even if I live in a city where everything's nearby, there's no such thing as "enough range" on a car.

... editing my message, sorry, I didn't get the question right, and forgot to look at the other messages. I think I'll read what you have all written with attention, as it will affect my choice for a new electric car.

Also range & "range anxiety" is becoming a different paradigm IMO. When I charge my '18 Leaf to 100% I'm seeing 175mi-183mi(281km-294km) miles of range.

2019 Leaf S, I'm consistently showing 150-180 miles on the range meter. Highest value was 186. I'll start doing the trip odometer to get some real commuting data, but I've easily done 2 60 miles commutes back to back and assorted errands each day on one charge.

Sad factoid here: 2012SL purchased new (remember this was advertised as the “100-mile range” product from Nissan at the time. When new I got about 72-75 actual miles primarily in Ohio not using heat. In winter with heat, range was 60 miles.

Fast forward to today in North Carolina with less need for heat. From a 100% charge, GOM shows as high as 70 miles. After driving under 2 miles, it reduces to about 57, and continues quickly downward. For the last several “tankfuls” of electrons I get about 36 miles from 100% to low battery warning, and another 3-4 miles to very low battery warning. All of this with no heat or a/c use. Worse, I still have 10 capacity bars showing so nowhere near the trigger for a battery replacement at the 5-year mark, which was now 2 years ago. Odd, and very disappointing.

My 2011 is getting about 30-40 miles in Eco with no HVAC
I figured hey I'll call the EV hotline and was basically told nah tough. At about 40k miles, its abysmal, he tried to sell me on 8500.00 to get the battery replaced since it would be "better than buying a used car" but I don't think I want my leaf anymore. Its sad as I love the car but not enough to dump another 8k into. I wish I never got that firmware update that added a bar back and then took forever to drop the other under warranty.

I might try and use leaf spy to check if they're are any bad cells in there.
Either way it was fun for a while. but I think its time to move on.

sevenx7 said:
I figured hey I'll call the EV hotline and was basically told nah tough. At about 40k miles, its abysmal, he tried to sell me on 8500.00 to get the battery replaced since it would be "better than buying a used car" but I don't think I want my leaf anymore. Its sad as I love the car but not enough to dump another 8k into. I wish I never got that firmware update that added a bar back and then took forever to drop the other under warranty.

Agree, and I did. Now enjoying the Model 3. However, I've kept the LEAF for the around-town sort of errands like local shopping and ferrying dogs around, and for really short winter trips where I do like the heated steering wheel. Like you, I see no point in throwing any money whatsoever into this vehicle beyond maintenance and keeping it clean.

SalisburySam said:
sevenx7 said:

Agree, and I did. Now enjoying the Model 3. However, I've kept the LEAF for the around-town sort of errands like local shopping and ferrying dogs around, and for really short winter trips where I do like the heated steering wheel. Like you, I see no point in throwing any money whatsoever into this vehicle beyond maintenance and keeping it clean.

How do you like the model 3? I've been between that and a PHEV

I wish I never got that firmware update that added a bar back and then took forever to drop the other under warranty.

If it helps any, my understanding is that Nissan wouldn't have replaced the pack without first doing that "update." So in all likelihood the last bar drop would have been pushed back to after the warranty ended in either case...

I get about 36 miles from 100% to low battery warning

So that's about a 50% reduction in range from new in 2012, so 7 years. How can it still show 10 battery bars? That doesn't make any sense. I got my 2019 Leaf knowing about the battery history and the rapid depreciation, but I figure I can still get to work at a 50% reduction of range from today's 150 miles. But I was hoping I'd be eligible for a new battery if something like that happened. Maybe that's not the case.

sptleaf said:
I get about 36 miles from 100% to low battery warning

So that's about a 50% reduction in range from new in 2012, so 7 years. How can it still show 10 battery bars? That doesn't make any sense. I got my 2019 Leaf knowing about the battery history and the rapid depreciation, but I figure I can still get to work at a 50% reduction of range from today's 150 miles. But I was hoping I'd be eligible for a new battery if something like that happened. Maybe that's not the case.
As Ed McMahon once said, you sir, are correct. Have no idea why I have 10 visible bars, but I do. And I really, really only get about 36 miles from 100% to LBW. Worse, that's with no heat, no freeways, nothing off city roads, only steering wheel and seat heat and then only occasionally. Will have to have dealer look at it, maybe as part of next brake fluid change. That ought to be interesting.

I can find the 2019 LEAF mpge on the EPA website:
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/PowerSearch.do?action=noform&path=1&year1=2018&year2=2019&vtype=Electric

I see the 226 mile range for the Leaf Plus. That would be 123mpge.
Where on the Internet is the official EPA mpge rating for the Leaf Plus?
Average/highway/city?

Thanks

SalisburySam said:
For the last several “tankfuls” of electrons I get about 36 miles from 100% to low battery warning, and another 3-4 miles to very low battery warning. All of this with no heat or a/c use. Worse, I still have 10 capacity bars showing so nowhere near the trigger for a battery replacement at the 5-year mark, which was now 2 years ago. Odd, and very disappointing.

I have the Lizard replacement battery and use LeafSpy to monitor when LBW, VLBW and turtle occur. I've seen some variance but mostly about 13 to 15 miles remaining range upon the first indication of LBW and turtle. Don't see a good correlation of miles between LBW and VLBW. I depend on LeafSpy to determine remaining range and set the display to "Miles -> 0%" using 3.8 to 4.0 miles per kWh when driving similar to what you describe. Using the AC/heat system in the 2012 can have a big affect when you are trying to squeeze out every mile! It's possible you have more total range that is more in line with your remaining ahrs of about 47 - which I believe is in the 10 bar range.

BTW, my 2012 lost the 10th bar at about 43 ahrs in November of 2016.

Marktm said:
SalisburySam said:
For the last several “tankfuls” of electrons I get about 36 miles from 100% to low battery warning, and another 3-4 miles to very low battery warning. All of this with no heat or a/c use. Worse, I still have 10 capacity bars showing so nowhere near the trigger for a battery replacement at the 5-year mark, which was now 2 years ago. Odd, and very disappointing.

I have the Lizard replacement battery and use LeafSpy to monitor when LBW, VLBW and turtle occur. I've seen some variance but mostly about 13 to 15 miles remaining range upon the first indication of LBW and turtle. Don't see a good correlation of miles between LBW and VLBW. I depend on LeafSpy to determine remaining range and set the display to "Miles -> 0%" using 3.8 to 4.0 miles per kWh when driving similar to what you describe. Using the AC/heat system in the 2012 can have a big affect when you are trying to squeeze out every mile! It's possible you have more total range that is more in line with your remaining ahrs of about 47 - which I believe is in the 10 bar range.

BTW, my 2012 lost the 10th bar at about 43 ahrs in November of 2016.

Average/highway/city?

sptleaf said:
2019 Leaf S, I'm consistently showing 150-180 miles on the range meter. Highest value was 186. I'll start doing the trip odometer to get some real commuting data, but I've easily done 2 60 miles commutes back to back and assorted errands each day on one charge.

So just to update here, I'm getting a realistic 150-160 miles of range with my 2019 S. Could be more, but I don't go down under 10% much. Trip meter is showing a 4.1 miles per kwh average. I usually use B mode but not ePedal.

You really should not worry about "miles/ electrons" fuel statistics. They are totally worthless. Depends totally on how you accelerate and how fast you drive . (Not to mention your "heat" habits)..

igranderojo said:
Average/highway/city?

108 / 97 / 118

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/PowerSearch.do?action=noform&path=1&year1=2019&year2=2019&make=Nissan&baseModel=Leaf&srchtyp=ymm

Back