2012 Leaf predictions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arwang

I am new the this forum and this is my 1st post. Ever since Christmas 2010 as I saw gas prices in SoCal rising, I have been obsessed with the Nissan LEAF! Unfortunately, the test drive opportunity has passed my area months ago, so I have to live vicariously through those who are fortunate enough to have a LEAF already. A special thanks to those who have posted videos of their test drives and general LEAF ownership experiences.

Seeing how I probably won't be able to get a LEAF until 2012, I thought I'd ask what everyone thinks will be in the 2010 LEAF model. My prediction is that battery technology will improve by that time, allowing for greater driving range.

• greater range (~120-150 miles)
  • 6.6 kW charger
  • more color choices
  • lower MSRP *fingers crossed*

Do you think the 2nd round of reservations will be for the 2012 model since it'll be around the end of summer 2011?

arwang said:
I am new the this forum and this is my 1st post. Ever since Christmas 2010 as I saw gas prices in SoCal rising, I have been obsessed with the Nissan LEAF! Unfortunately, the test drive opportunity has passed my area months ago, so I have to live vicariously through those who are fortunate enough to have a LEAF already. A special thanks to those who have posted videos of their test drives and general LEAF ownership experiences.

Seeing how I probably won't be able to get a LEAF until 2012, I thought I'd ask what everyone thinks will be in the 2010 LEAF model. My prediction is that battery technology will improve by that time, allowing for greater driving range.

• greater range (~120-150 miles)
  • 6.6 kW charger
  • more color choices
  • lower MSRP *fingers crossed*

Do you think the 2nd round of reservations will be for the 2012 model since it'll be around the end of summer 2011?

Welcome to the forum!!

I think your guess list is pretty accurate. I'm guessing perhaps a leather option (or fake leather anyway) since the cloth interior is getting panned by a lot of people.

I'm sure you'll see a mix of changes to the controlability of the functions....i.e. easier selection of ECO mode perhaps, possibly customizable steering wheel buttons, etc.

What part of San Diego do you live in? If I ever get a break from work, maybe I can swing by and let you do a quick test drive in mine. :mrgreen:

My question is, will LEAFs be readily available for the 2012 model year? The Ford EV is going to give them a run for their money. Also, they're probably going to have to cut the sticker price significantly if the Focus will really charge in half the time.

WWBD said:
My question is, will LEAFs be readily available for the 2012 model year? The Ford EV is going to give them a run for their money. Also, they're probably going to have to cut the sticker price significantly if the Focus will really charge in half the time.
Don't forget Focus hasn't done any hard work yet. Everything is rosy on paper. They haven't even announced the price.

Unless Ford undercuts Leaf (extremely low chance) - Leaf price will either stay the same or move a little up (exchange rate).

evnow said:
WWBD said:
Don't forget Focus hasn't done any hard work yet. Everything is rosy on paper. They haven't even announced the price.

Unless Ford undercuts Leaf (extremely low chance) - Leaf price will either stay the same or move a little up (exchange rate).

I was going to say the same thing....believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see!!! At this stage, Ford can SAY anything....wasn't it GM who was saying that the Volt engine wasn't connected to the drivetrain at all? A LOT of what GM said turned out to be fluff and BS. Ford will have some of that as well.

Time will tell. The Leaf isn't going anywhere unless the batteries suddenly fail for no reason. Have you heard of any Leaf owner who is regretting the decision?? Me neither.

arwang said:
I see no chance of a greater range. If it happens that would really take everyone by surprise (esp. Ford !).

The 2nd round of reservations in launch states may still get MY11. Others will get MY12. My list ...

• Cold weather package
  • 6.6 kW charger option/trim
  • more color/fabric choices (both internal & external)
  • more accessories / trims
  • no SL ETEC trim
  • higher MSRP ?

Jimmydreams said:
evnow said:
WWBD said:

I was going to say the same thing....believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see!!! At this stage, Ford can SAY anything....wasn't it GM who was saying that the Volt engine wasn't connected to the drivetrain at all? A LOT of what GM said turned out to be fluff and BS. Ford will have some of that as well.

Time will tell. The Leaf isn't going anywhere unless the batteries suddenly fail for no reason. Have you heard of any Leaf owner who is regretting the decision?? Me neither.

Hey, I love me my LEAF! No complaints here. But I'm just being realistic with respect to the bomb Ford dropped at CES last week. Specs are sure to change here and there, but a 100 mile charge in half the time is what they're saying. Nissan told us a year ago that the Leaf would have a 100 mile charge and it would charge in about 8 hours. That turned out to be roughly accurate. My point is that I'm sure Nissan is scrambling to figure out how to position themselves with this new direct competitor that appears to have a big advantage tech wise.

WWBD said:
Specs are sure to change here and there, but a 100 mile charge in half the time is what they're saying. Nissan told us a year ago that the Leaf would have a 100 mile charge and it would charge in about 8 hours. That turned out to be roughly accurate. My point is that I'm sure Nissan is scrambling to figure out how to position themselves with this new direct competitor that appears to have a big advantage tech wise.
I don't think Nissan is scrambling anything Ford - probably worried about technology stolen by some Chinese guys.

Ford will do the 6.6 kw charger, no doubt. Nissan can do that for 2012 MY too. What else does Ford have - apart from a slew of negatives because it is a conversion ? Some people will no doubt like Focus's faux grill. I don't think Nissan can do much about that.

Anyway, what we are talking about is the fact that from auto show to the show room is a long treacherous road.

For eg., have you seen the reaction to the new MyFord. People are panning it for being too slow/clunky/buggy. CR even says they won't recommend the models because of that.

WWBD said:
Hey, I love me my LEAF! No complaints here. But I'm just being realistic with respect to the bomb Ford dropped at CES last week. Specs are sure to change here and there, but a 100 mile charge in half the time is what they're saying. Nissan told us a year ago that the Leaf would have a 100 mile charge and it would charge in about 8 hours. That turned out to be roughly accurate. My point is that I'm sure Nissan is scrambling to figure out how to position themselves with this new direct competitor that appears to have a big advantage tech wise.

The difference is that a year ago, Nissan was more or less all alone in what they were saying and doing. Now, Ford and other companies are playing catch-up. And since the Leaf and Volt are getting all the attention, the only way to steal the cameras away from them is to say something better. It doesn't have to be true, just SAY it and you get a portion of the media to notice. Also, consider that the talking heads for Ford may not be paying much attention to the actual engineers designing the Focus:

CEO says "I want 4 hour charging!".
Engineers say "We'll see what we can do about 4 hour charging!"
Spokesman hears that they're working on 4 hour charge and says "The Focus will charge in 4 hours or less."

True? Lies? Or hopeful rhetoric?
:?

The original Leaf specs cited charging in 4 hours very early on. Nissan could have easily put in a Larger charger, just a little added cost.

EVDRIVER said:
The original Leaf specs cited charging in 4 hours very early on. Nissan could have easily put in a Larger charger, just a little added cost.
Yes - first they talked about 6.6kw charger. Then they talked about having 3.3kw in 2011 & 6.6 in 2012. Then that 6.6kw in 2012 disappeared. Now because of Focus EV we are speculating about it again.

Good points, guys. I know I'm sort of playing devil's advocate here, but I would personally prefer Ford's music/navigation systems to what I've got in the LEAF.

I agree. I've played with MyFord in a friend's new MKZ and it is pretty cool!

WWBD said:
Good points, guys. I know I'm sort of playing devil's advocate here, but I would personally prefer Ford's music/navigation systems to what I've got in the LEAF.

I asked on. Chat tonight again about the cold weather package , having seen now on YouTube cold weather equipped cars in japan, the answer was at least sure
The cold weather package will not be avail on a 2011 leaf

First time they admitted that

So... Tier 2 order , late summer 2011

Tells me I am getting a 2012 leaf with cold package

6.6kw charger?

Darker interior?

New paint color?

All very possible

Probably good for us "Forgotten 36" Leafers. I know living in Nebraska I will NEED a cold weather package at some point or another.

I have to make a Reservation first (whenever that might be), but maybe it will have a few perks?! :lol:

Jimmydreams said:
WWBD said:

The difference is that a year ago, Nissan was more or less all alone in what they were saying and doing. Now, Ford and other companies are playing catch-up. And since the Leaf and Volt are getting all the attention, the only way to steal the cameras away from them is to say something better. It doesn't have to be true, just SAY it and you get a portion of the media to notice. Also, consider that the talking heads for Ford may not be paying much attention to the actual engineers designing the Focus:

CEO says "I want 4 hour charging!".
Engineers say "We'll see what we can do about 4 hour charging!"
Spokesman hears that they're working on 4 hour charge and says "The Focus will charge in 4 hours or less."

True? Lies? Or hopeful rhetoric?
:?

Jimmy, you're right. At a party this weekend, someone told me that they had heard that the Ford Focus EV will have twice the RANGE of the LEAF. Ford not only just had to say it will charge in half the time, the uneducated public garbles that and the new Ford sounds twice as good in every way.

It is likely that the "twice the range" part was a mistake.

Charging roughly the same capacity battery pack twice as fast would be due to a "6.6 kW" charging rate, roughly twice that of the 2011 LEAF.

Back