The official "I got my Leaf" thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chadrph said:
Taking delivery tomorrow of a new 2016 Leaf SL with 41 miles on it. Was able to purchase it for $23,000 before the federal tax rebate. The car will be my primary transportation to and from work. Was planning on looking for a used Leaf at the end of this year, but couldn't pass this one up after finding it.

Did a lot of research before purchasing a Leaf, but just found this site. Appears to be a lot of good information on here. Looking forward digging into it all.
Wow! That's amazing. There are used '17 models with 1500-4000 miles going for that much money around here.

Proud new owner of a 2016 S with 30kwh battery and quick charge. This was a certified pre owned with only 2800 miles. I’m in Oklahoma City where there aren’t a lot of these. This one had been on the lot since August, and then last week a dealer across town got a 2015 S CPO so I think that helped my negotiating position.

List price when I went in was $16k. I got them down to $13,100 + 700 doc fee - 700 NMAC 700 CPO incentive = $13,100. The sales guy told me he would throw in free oil changes and and a full tank of gas, lol!

I have a family of 4, minivan for our other vehicle. 14 mile one-way commute, where I park in a parking garage. I looked at a Volt but the back seat was not so great. And I worried about maintenance of gas generator. I saw that people on volt forums were talking about how important a 5-year flush of 3 cooling systems was, and since Volts in same price range were 2014’s, that would be coming up really soon.

My motivations for going electric:

* due to the crazy depreciation I think this is the nicest vehicle I could have gotten for the price
* I am looking forward to saving gas money (even though Oklahoma is starting a $100/year EV tax)
* low maintenance
* in Oklahoma we don’t have smog problems I have seen in other cities. But still I do feel good about zero emissions and moving the needle here locally just a tiny bit.

Anyway I have a learned a lot here, and still have a lot to learn. I have a JuiceBox on order and hope to get it installed next week. Was going to go Clipper Creek but I figured with the S model it might be nice to have charge scheduling on the EVSE.

I'm the proud new owner of a blue 2014 S as of Oct 21. My car is thirdhand, 30K miles, 12 bars, 3.3KW OBC. It was first registered in Feb 2014 in Buford, Georgia, then sold at auction in 2016 to Anaheim Preowned Cars. Leaf Spy Lite reports 85% SOH, 82.96% Hx. I'm loving this car after 4 days, there's a very driver-friendly charging network here in Los Angeles. Free L2 charging at many places: car dealers, malls, restaurants, McDs. Plugshare lists many private residences that welcome strangers to stop by for a charge. I love LA! I met "Bill" charging at McDs yesterday, white Leaf, 2013 IIRC, he lives on a sailboat. He also leases a 2016. Super-friendly and knowledgeable, he's a Leaf nut. He was sitting in his car L2 charging when I parked beside him in a non-EV spot. Without a word, he jumped out of his car, unplugged and hooked me up! We yacked for over an hour about all manner of things. Smart guy! Looking forward to meeting plenty more Leaf peeps, there's a whole EV social sub-culture I had not anticipated. Since I'm stuck with a slow 3.3 KW OBC, I'll have lots of time to time to make new friends while charging. :)

My seller alerted me to a $450 rebate for Southern California Edison customers: https://www.scecleanfuel.com/ The first THREE owners of any EV are all eligible for the rebate. I'll still get it, as the third owner. Pretty darn cool.

I have a 2018 Leaf test drive in mid-November. Nissan comes right to my house, so I bet they'll be pleased to see a Leaf in the driveway.

Related, I just sold my previous car today, a 2005 PT Cruiser. It was cheap & reliable but its 4-cylinder engine was slow & gutless. Yet it was a total gas guzzler, netting a shameful 15 MPG in town and "up to" 25 MPG on the highway. That's downright embarrassing, as though Chrysler wasn't even trying. Abominable mileage is the #1 complaint in the PT Cruiser forums. My commutes are short, I still only spent $20 a week in gas. That's many short trips, exactly what an ICE is bad at, and what an EV is perfect for. I doubt if I'll miss the PT very much.

Picked up a 2014 "S" model with quick charge, its super clean with 39k kms on it. Loving it so far. Has 12 bars and 145km range when fully charged. No accidents on it either. So far so good! Huge charging network in my area on the West Coast of British Columbia. Have not leaf spy'd it yet.

I bought a used 2015 LEAF SV with 22K on it, 12 bars, silver, LED HD lights, 6.6K+DC fast charge, Hybrid heater... etc. I have had it a month. I did an all Craigslist search and found a SV in San Diego. I did not want a S or SL. Turns out it was a licence car broker "Drive line Financial", a one man show, who specializes in LEAF's. He buys them from Nissan Auctions and marks them up slightly. He was great. Within a few days I had the car on a trailer coming to me in Memphis. First called Tues. Talking to Pat I knew he knew his stuff (unlike other calls I made where they had a S and said it was a SV or knew nothing). Had funds wired to Pat on Wed, Car was on Trailer Friday, delivered Tues before noon. I am very happy. Car is in near new shape and exceeds my explications. I was looking for a used Tesla, but that is $47K. I paid $12K (+$850 shipping, tax). For less than 1/4th the cost the LEAF is what I needed. Yes the Tesla is nice but too expensive and not as well supported as the LEAF. Don't get me wrong if I made 4 times my salary I make now (and I do pretty well now), yep I might get a used Tesla. Financially, from a risk standpoint the Tesla is not for me at this point. I looked at salvage titled ones for $37 that looked nice, but Tesla would make you persona nongrata. To "re-Certify it" is an unknown and likely to be more hassle and cost than it is worth, over buying a clean used one. Back to the LEAF! :D

Drove it almost every day for a month now (about 1000 miles). My commute is between 33 to 38 miles round trip x4 days a week. I just got the nerve to try and go two days on one charge. I got to work second day with 37 miles. I should get back home tonight with 20 or high teens on guess-O-meter. Most of my commute is freeway. I am impressed with the fit, finish, ride quality, low speed acceleration is amazing (on LEAF ludicrous mode, aka not ECO mode, which is where I typically keep it.) It is perfect for around town errands and commuting.

I still have my 2010 VW TDI (Turbo Direct Injection - Diesel) Jetta Sportwagen (JSW). It gets +50 MPH all Hwy, a crap load of torque, tons of storage with rear seats folded down flat floor you can sleep on, handles like a sports car. I don't want to get rid of it, since it has a hitch for my utility trailer for home landscaping or hauling toys. It is also bought and paid for. VW is offering to buy it back for blue book 3 yrs ago + $5,000 but nothing can replace it, not even the Leaf.

gmcjetpilot said:
I still have my 2010 VW TDI (Turbo Direct Injection - Diesel) Jetta Sportwagen (JSW). It gets +50 MPH all Hwy, a crap load of torque, tons of storage with rear seats folded down flat floor you can sleep on, handles like a sports car. I don't want to get rid of it, since it has a hitch for my utility trailer for home landscaping or hauling toys. It is also bought and paid for. VW is offering to buy it back for blue book 3 yrs ago + $5,000 but nothing can replace it, not even the Leaf.

Did someone say "hitch"?!

leaf_cargo.jpg

I'm still looking for a good used open trailer though, to move the occasional very-large-item. Not sure what that'd do to my range though. *shrug*

Forgot to post here but I bought my 2017 Model S Leaf new at the end of July. I'm in CO and the local utility had a $10k rebate on top of the $5k from the state plus the $7500 I should 'get back' from the Feds next year. I've put about 2k miles on it so far and just love it. After driving mine, one of my co-workers bought one for his wife. I though i was doing well by charging 2x per week but she only charges 1x per week. :eek:

I haven't QC'd yet although there were 3 on the car when I bought it. Have LeafSpy Lite and will probably spring for Pro eventually but I'm trying not to obsess too much about the specs. I'm an EE and I do my own maintenance on my oil-burners at home so I know way too much about cars already and I'm trying to just enjoy this one without worrying about it.

There is a L2 charger with 4 ports here at work so that is where I've been doing the bulk of my charging although I did plug in the L1 a few times at home when it was low. I've noticed the expected range drop during the winter. The heater controls do suck as is well known but I think I've figured out how I like them and now I just keep the car warm, even if it means charging 3x a week instead of 2x.

There are about 10 Leafs here at our office of about 150 people. Several folks have 50k miles 12 bar cars but as I've learned here on the forum there are many variables in play. Even so, I expect this car to satisfy the job I bought it for (errands and commuting) until I'm either retired or the car is wrecked.

I've been really pleased with the car so far. The one thing I miss on the model S is the heat pump for heat. It seems a bit odd to be using such an inefficient heater while driving such an energy efficient EV but a SV would have been about 30% more than an S for me so I can live without it. Besides, I keep my house at 64 in the winter so I don't need to be coddled while driving.

gmcjetpilot said:
low speed acceleration is amazing (on LEAF ludicrous mode, aka not ECO mode, which is where I typically keep it.)
Just to note: ECO mode doesn't limit the max acceleration when you floor the pedal, so you get the same "ludicrous mode" on demand. ECO only remaps the response of the pedal when you initially press it.

As an interesting contrast, in the latest OTA, Tesla just introduced a "chill" mode that optionally reduces the acceleration available to the car. But unlike ECO mode on the LEAF, there is no way to get the full acceleration back when needed without turning off "chill" mode. This is one case where I wished Tesla would follow Nissan.

Just to note: ECO mode doesn't limit the max acceleration when you floor the pedal, so you get the same "ludicrous mode" on demand. ECO only remaps the response of the pedal when you initially press it.

I don't know if it's that tiny lag involved in mashing the pedal, or if the claim of full power needs an asterisk after it, but it seems to me that Eco can't get to 60 as fast as Normal mode when floored. I suspect it's because the biggest difference in power is right at the beginning, and most people don't slam the pedal down fast enough to risk damaging it....

Hi everyone!

I purchased my gray 2015 Leaf S with quick charge package on past FRI, the 22nd. Carvana delivered to my house. The delivery and paperwork process were unbelievably quick. The car is in pristine condition and I liked the car a lot during my test drive. I believe somebody else mentioned having the same experience on Carvana couple pages ago. After almost a week of driving, cannot imagine going back to ICE car.

It was built on May, 2014 and leased in California for 2+ years.
I took the car to local car dealer to get it checked for overall body and battery. Again, per the comments/feedback earlier in this thread, I knew more about the overall battery condition through LeafSpy then the technician who provided with me a 1 page showing a picture of a dash with full battery capacity. Though, technician stated the car is in great condition and it does not need anything.

I charged the car and although dash was showing 100%, LeafSpy was showing SOC as 97.2% with 255 GIDs.

As of purchase:
12 bars
AHr: 54.26
SOH: 87%
396.0V
Hx:81.22
odo: 24.390
29 QCs, 515 L1/L2s

Thanks to everyone for posting invaluable info for new Leaf owners.
Cheers!

Do you plan on using your new Leaf for commuting, or what is your planned usage? The heat here in south Florida has been really bad for my 2012 Leaf. The new 2016 battery they installed is already down to 91% SOH.

Primarily to work and back about 35 miles round trip per day for 5 days a week. I can take I95 or US 1. US 1 will extend my trip about 6 miles round trip but then travel speed will be much lower than highway with some stop and go.

I saw your post in another thread about your battery replacement experience. I share your concern and I may find myself in the same kind of situation. I thought before my purchase that given the low purchase price and low cost of operation and maintenance plus babying it (I am a slow driver anyways, getting 5.2 miles/kW on average over 1 week of ownership), will make it well worth to go with this car given that the car is very very clean. In addition, I would not compare the ride quality and experience of this car to an ICE car in the same price range.

EjK said:
(I am a slow driver anyways, getting 5.2 miles/kW on average over 1 week of ownership)
FYI, the correct units in this case are miles/kWh. The dash display is correct.

Your car is getting somewhat close to losing 1 capacity bar. If it really is a '15 Leaf, its "lizard" battery seems to be the best so far in terms of resistance to heat-related degradation.

Be sure to inquire at your local Nissan service center about the in-service date for your VIN number. That way you will know how long you have to drop the 9th bar. Its hard for me to make a suggestion as to whether you should drive 95 or Route 1. Another 2012 owner in Jupiter got his Leaf the same week I did, but he ended up with a new battery a whole year before me because he was out on 95 doing 70 mph to go to work in Stuart. So, you can either drive Route 1 and baby it, but then maybe miss getting a new battery under warranty, or drive it like normal out on 95, speed up the degradation, and hope for a new battery. The good part is that either way the car will still make your 35 mile commute. My 2012 Leaf was down to 65% SOH and about 45-50 miles of range when I finally lost the 9th bar.

cwerdna,

Thank you for correction. It is 15 Leaf, built in May, 14. I read in one of the threads that first bar loss is expected around 50 AHr so getting close.

keydiver,

Thank you for the info. Carfax shows the car was leased on November, 2014 so it's been in use for 3+ years. With SOH of 87%, this car should be fine for my daily commute for a while. Curious how it will do in FL after 3 years in CA.

I know this thread is for after delivery, but I'm very excited. I just finished all the paperwork for a 2018 Leaf. Delivery won't be until the 15th of February, but I'm quite pleased. This is my first new car purchase (drove an old diesel Benz throughout high school and was carless for all of my adult life up to now), and I've always been fascinated by the idea of electric cars. I almost went with the series hybrid Note, but the Leaf test drive sold me. I'll post again when I take delivery.

jonathanfields4ever said:
I know this thread is for after delivery, but I'm very excited. I just finished all the paperwork for a 2018 Leaf. Delivery won't be until the 15th of February, but I'm quite pleased. This is my first new car purchase (drove an old diesel Benz throughout high school and was carless for all of my adult life up to now), and I've always been fascinated by the idea of electric cars. I almost went with the series hybrid Note, but the Leaf test drive sold me. I'll post again when I take delivery.
Where are you located? Can you update your location info via your user name in the upper right > User Control Panel > Profile tab? That way, we don't need to ask in future posts/threads or do sleuthing to deduce it.

I didn't think the bolded vehicle is available in the US. I know it's available in Japan.

Sorry about that. I’m living close to Kyoto. Went to a dealership in Mie Prefecture for faster delivery. Every dealership I contacted near me said beginning of April and/or no EV subsidy. Both were unacceptable for me.

Updated the info in my profile as well.

Back